Another Example of Yankee Gun Mentality

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I still want to know when we're going to "ban criminals." While we're at it, why don't we ban everything that we don't like, are afraid of, or find objectionable.

I'd go for a ban on ugly cars first. The appearance of them makes me "uncomfortable" and - under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms - don't I have a right to be comfortable?

And then KFC should be banned too. I don't like the smell emanating from their restaurants and I think it's also an invasion of my comfort zone. Plus, eating too much of that stuff could make it as dangerous as a gun...just a lot slower.

And then of course, a ban on wearing dirty shoes in public is pretty much necessary, I think. I had to polish my shoes when I was a kid (Dad was a stickler for clean shoes) and that has stuck with me. And everyone else should share that little quirk too, because my self-esteem might get bruised if I'm the only one "standing out in the crowd" with clean shoes. Another comfort zone thing.

Bring on the bans...we'll all feel better that we're doing something worthwhile!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I still want to know when we're going to "ban criminals." While we're at it, why don't we ban everything that we don't like, are afraid of, or find objectionable.

I'd go for a ban on ugly cars first. The appearance of them makes me "uncomfortable" and - under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms - don't I have a right to be comfortable?

And then KFC should be banned too. I don't like the smell emanating from their restaurants and I think it's also an invasion of my comfort zone. Plus, eating too much of that stuff could make it as dangerous as a gun...just a lot slower.

And then of course, a ban on wearing dirty shoes in public is pretty much necessary, I think. I had to polish my shoes when I was a kid (Dad was a stickler for clean shoes) and that has stuck with me. And everyone else should share that little quirk too, because my self-esteem might get bruised if I'm the only one "standing out in the crowd" with clean shoes. Another comfort zone thing.

Bring on the bans...we'll all feel better that we're doing something worthwhile!

Oh yes, according to Svend Robinson, the famous (or infamous) NDP former MP and gay rights activist......."we have the right not to be offended"....as he asserted at a speech at UNB in Fredericton.Unfortunately, I doubt that he meant white, middle-aged, heterosexual white guys with right wing views.....just everybody that agreed with him.Unfortunately, absolutely typical.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I remember seeing something written on a shirt before: Guns dont kill people i do.... Mabye guns arent the bad guys, but the people who pull the trigger are bad guys.. You take away guns from people they will still find ways to kill each other.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Oh yes, according to Svend Robinson, the famous (or infamous) NDP former MP and gay rights activist......."we have the right not to be offended"....as he asserted at a speech at UNB in Fredericton.Unfortunately, I doubt that he meant white, middle-aged, heterosexual white guys with right wing views.....just everybody that agreed with him.Unfortunately, absolutely typical.

Yeah, I remember old "Bend for Svend" - he had a rather selective view of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Must have been boring to debate anything with him - "If you don't agree with me, you're wrong!" Didn't he just exude a sense of tolerance toward everyone? (No.)

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I remember seeing something written on a shirt before: Guns dont kill people i do.... Mabye guns arent the bad guys, but the people who pull the trigger are bad guys.. You take away guns from people they will still find ways to kill each other.

Now there's a simplistic view of the world. And quite accurate, I think.

In Japan, all guns have been banned for many years...something to do with starting a war way back when...their murder rate is climbing, but guns are banned. What a conundrum. They (murderers) went and figured out that a katana (sword) or a knife works quite well for killing people. By the way, the only time you'll see a gun in Japan is on the hip of a policeman or under the coat of a Yakuza (mafia) member.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Oh yes, according to Svend Robinson, the famous (or infamous) NDP former MP and gay rights activist."..........and jewel thief of dubious reknown.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well, exactly, the gun is just one of a thousand weapons that can be used to kill people. If the amount of effort that was made to get guns registered was put toward locking up criminals, we would no longer have a problem with guns or criminals. Oh Anna, with modern technology, I doubt if "my throttle stuck" would fly.
You can rig them to stick. :) Just a matter of filing a little linkage slightly. I found that out after one stuck around here. The linkage had been rubbing on another part and wore it down a little bit.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Better yet, legalize it and tax it instead of us. :D

Yup. Tax the heck out of fast foods with gobs of oils and fat.

And tax or ban those bloody pants that kids wear around their knees and ball caps that they wear backwards and toques in summer. That was the latest one I saw that seemed strange to me. This delivery kid from a parts store in town was wearing a toque in summer. She's cute as a button. I ribbed her a little about it. I asked her if she'd dyed her hair a strange color and it turned weird colors or something. She laughed and lifted her toque. Outside of the toque-hair she had pretty brown hair with a slight reddish tinge to it. Shame to hide it, but I grinned and didn't say that.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Oh yes, according to Svend Robinson, the famous (or infamous) NDP former MP and gay rights activist......."we have the right not to be offended"....as he asserted at a speech at UNB in Fredericton.Unfortunately, I doubt that he meant white, middle-aged, heterosexual white guys with right wing views.....just everybody that agreed with him. Unfortunately, absolutely typical.
Yeah, hypocracy is rampant in those rich, BC bred Dippers, especially the ones with frail character.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"And tax or ban those bloody pants that kids wear around their knees and ball caps that they wear backwards and toques in summer. "- There's a good reason for them wearing ball caps backwards protects them from the sun so there's no chance of them becoming "rednecks".

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
"And tax or ban those bloody pants that kids wear around their knees and ball caps that they wear backwards and toques in summer. "- There's a good reason for them wearing ball caps backwards protects them from the sun so there's no chance of them becoming "rednecks".

Hey, we might be on to something here. Ban and Tax, eh? Hmm...that would really make things better for all of us, wouldn't it? Just think of how everything could be taken care of for us, and all done efficiently and in a timely manner by our government.

Like I've said before, "Ahh...Utopia at last!"

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
'we have the right not to be offended'

And this guy is/was an MP?

Here's a case scenario I'd like answered. If a heterosexual couple (both have centrist views, but also some right wing views) came to him for help because they are being offended by their homosexual neighbour's bantering about people who have right views are racists, intolerant, and homophobes. Would that MP fight for the offended couple just as hard as he would for the homosexual if the situation was reversed?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Here's a case scenario I'd like answered. If a heterosexual couple (both have centrist views, but also some right wing views) came to him for help because they are being offended by their homosexual neighbour's bantering about people who have right views are racists, intolerant, and homophobes. Would that MP fight for the offended couple just as hard as he would for the homosexual if the situation was reversed?

Yep...an MP for 25 years, one of the most prominent MPs in the NDP....the foreign affairs critic for quite some time.......never met a camera he didn't love.....you must be very young, or simply not political to have never heard of Svend.....BTW, I answered an earlier post by you back a page or two......he did not run in 2004.....Svend Robinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Criminals will always be on the streets, always have, and always will,only so many will be taken off the streets, and as fast as some areput away, more appear, it is an impossible chore.They even turn them out onto the street, when the jails become too crowded.They have progressed so far, they are sometimes ahead of the police intechnology, it is a losing battle.And our corporate crooks make sure they manufacture all the people killing guns they can, and have big gun shows so that they don't missanyone, 'must sell all those guns', but we won't take any responsibilityfor anything, guns are so innocent, and we musn't dissapoint our'customers', well, of course not, there is so much money to be made,the more customers, the more money.It's all about money, just as wars are, wars are for corporate america,for making money, but we have no power to do anything about that, andwhen we come up with the logical and truthful statements about theguns, we are told that it is unconstitutionally wrong to do anythingabout controlling the carrying of guns, corporate america doesn't care about the safetyof the regular person on the street, it's the bottom line they areconcerned with, we mean 'nothing' to them.It is so easy to kill someone with a gun, but if I ever wanted to killsomeone, let's see, how would I do it, drive over them with my car?,nope, stab them with a sharp knife, nope, maybe a bow and arrow, nope,how about a large sabre, uh uh, maybe I would ask them to a dual, nope,Kill them with my fists, nope, of course, the only clean way to killsomeone, from a distance, then quickly disappear, is to shoot them.

Yep, you've shed some light on some sad truths. I've always thought things could improve as long as more than half of society was decent.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

It would depend on which way would garner him the most votes.

Starscream

Electoral Member
May 23, 2008
Somewhere, someplace
Yep...an MP for 25 years, one of the most prominent MPs in the NDP....the foreign affairs critic for quite some time.......never met a camera he didn't love.....you must be very young, or simply not political to have never heard of Svend.....BTW, I answered an earlier post by you back a page or two......he did not run in 2004.....Svend Robinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No Colpy I'm not familiar with politicians from out west, plus his political career ran motsly during times where I didn't care about politics (like during my childhood and teenage years). It's only been in the past several years where my interest in politics have garnered more of my attention.

And no, I did not see the post you made the page or two back. Last reply you made to my posts was a day ago.