Alberta

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Alberta politician angry after COVID-19 protesters leave gallows, noose at her house
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Nov 02, 2021 • 11 hours ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation
Grand Prairie MLA Tracy Allard is pictured in a file photo.
Grand Prairie MLA Tracy Allard is pictured in a file photo. PHOTO BY PETER SHOKEIR /Postmedia Network files
Article content
EDMONTON — An Alberta member of the legislature says she is outraged after COVID-19 protesters came to her house on the weekend and hung up a noose.

Tracy Allard calls the threats and intimidation inexcusable and says her private life and her family are out of bounds to protesters.

“It was really disturbing,” Allard said at the legislature Tuesday.

“The most disturbing piece for me was at the end of it they left a noose — and that is a clear act of aggression and utterly unacceptable.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

Allard, a United Conservative backbencher for Grande Prairie, said she was travelling to Edmonton on Sunday afternoon when she got a call about a large crowd in front of her house.

She said doorbell cam footage later revealed it was about 30 people.

Allard said the protesters left behind a crude wooden gallows, with a noose, and the words “No to masks. End the gov’t. Hang ‘em all.”

She posted a picture of it on her Facebook page .

RCMP confirmed they were called to investigate the large gathering in front of Allard’s home around 3 p.m. Sunday.

Const. Lindsay Ralph said officers attended the protest and saw the gallows and noose attached upright to a fence.

“They did see that stick with the noose on the end. It was attached to a fence located near the property,” Ralph said in an interview.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“Officers did speak to the people in attendance and explained to them that (it) should be removed, and they did take it down.”

She said no charges were laid, but Allard said she is looking to see if the police will investigate further.

This was not the first time an Alberta politician has faced public backlash for rules tied to the COVID-19 pandemic response.

Last summer, then-health minister Tyler Shandro and his family were publicly harassed at a Canada Day event by protesters upset by COVID-19 public health restrictions.

Premier Jason Kenney’s government has faced criticism from Albertans, including some of his rural caucus members, for previous health restrictions, mask rules and more recently for a form of vaccine passport that severely curtails customer capacity for non-participating businesses.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Allard has previously urged people to get vaccinated but said she respects the right to choose. She has called for more COVID-19 testing and more hospital surge capacity to fight the coronavirus.

In the spring, she was among a number of UCP backbenchers who signed a public letter criticizing a return to previous health restrictions.

“I believe that I have the reputation for listening, for understanding instead of listening to be right or make somebody else wrong. I’m open to different perspectives,” she said.

“This particular group (of protesters) wants — I’m not sure exactly what they want. Freedom is the word I keep hearing, although I don’t know who they are, so I can’t even have a conversation with them.”

Allard made headlines at the start of the year when she resigned as municipal affairs minister after it was revealed she took a Christmas vacation to Hawaii.

She was among a number of United Conservative legislature members and staff to take holiday trips to hot spots despite Kenney’s government urging Albertans to stay home to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Allard choked up as she told reporters, “2021 has been a very rough year for my family.

“As a woman in politics, I think it’s been really challenging to see how cruel people can be,” she said. “I’m thinking of my daughter, who has faced significant backlash as the daughter of a politician, and that should not be the case.

“I apologize for getting so emotional, but I think it’s important.”

• Angry
Reactions: Dixie Cup

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Notley apologizes amid internal harassment complaints, says NDP will hire third party to investigate
“It is clear that in some cases, we have fallen short," Alberta Opposition NDP Leader Rachel Notley said

Author of the article:Jason Herring
Publishing date:Jun 19, 2022 • 1 day ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation

Alberta Opposition NDP Leader Rachel Notley apologized Sunday for her party’s handling of internal harassment complaints, and said the party will hire an independent third party to handle those and future issues.

That commitment emerged from this weekend’s meeting in Red Deer of the NDP’s provincial council, which recommended the party take action in the wake of allegations of mistreatment of volunteers recently raised by some party members and constituency associations.

“It is clear that in some cases, we have fallen short. We’ve heard concerns expressed about that. And as your leader, I take responsibility for this. And I apologize,” Notley said during her speech to delegates.

“I take responsibility now for ensuring that the directions that you have given us this weekend are carried out. We will engage an external firm to conduct independent investigation, mediation and resolution of complaints. An independent body will also review our internal HR policies.”

Notley added all executive staff, including herself, will complete additional respectful workplace training.

The NDP said its executive will address matters raised by constituency associations in a March letter to party leadership by the end of July. That letter, penned by 15 constituency presidents and regional vice-presidents, alleged a pattern of mistreatment of volunteers and raised concerns over members feeling their input wasn’t being taken seriously, as well as party influence in nomination races.

Speaking to Postmedia following her speech, Notley said the party will also look at retroactive complaints as they arise.

“It’s really important to us that volunteers be respected and that they also feel that they’re in an appropriate forum within they can raise concerns,” she said.

“When people say there needs to be independence in order for them to raise the issues, then obviously it could be that people weren’t raising them before.

“We want our volunteers to feel included, like they matter, like they’re heard.”

Former Calgary-Bow constituency association president Krista Li said she was glad to see the apology from Notley, calling it a necessary step from the leader.

But she said greater actions are needed to back up that apology, including the removal of staff at the centre of allegations while investigations are ongoing.

“To hear her say that, it’s good, it’s a positive first step, but it’s also a bit of ‘cover your ass,’ ” said Li, who recently quit the party, describing an abusive culture that she said disrespects grassroots members, particularly women and members of marginalized groups.

“What we’re seeing is that a lot of people who thought the NDP held a moral high ground, who really were a grassroots party, who were engaging in left politics, have quickly found out that’s not the case.”

Ex-NDP member Wyatt Tanton, who previously ran to be the party’s Camrose candidate, said he wasn’t encouraged by the commitments, saying the party’s track record in addressing volunteer concerns has eroded trust.

“If the party had built up a level of trust where we could believe it would follow through with these things, and that it would genuinely be pursuing justice on these issues, then it’d be a good apology. But the problem is the party has burned a lot of that goodwill,” Tanton said.

“Most of us who have come forward have heard more implied threats of lawsuits than we have direct apologies.”

Tanton added he worried the party’s approach to harassment complaints will harm its ability to form government in the 2023 provincial election.

Notley dedicated a large portion of her 30-plus minute speech Sunday to skewering the candidates running to take over leadership of Alberta’s United Conservative Party.

She characterized Travis Toews and Rebecca Schulz, who had both been members of Premier Jason Kenney’s cabinet, as “more of the same,” and mocked Toews’ endorsements from 23 UCP MLAs.

“He even got the coveted Tyler Shandro endorsement,” Notley quipped to delegates.

Notley attacked candidates Rajan Sawhney and Leela Aheer, who have been critical of Kenney’s leadership as MLAs, for not having pushed back harder against the premier.

And she charged that candidates Brian Jean, Danielle Smith and Todd Loewen are “running because they have scores to settle,” saying they would bring extremism to the UCP leadership.

The Opposition leader said her party has now nominated 34 candidates ahead of the next provincial election. The NDP plan to have 40 candidates locked in by the end of this month and 60 by the end of September, with the aim of confirming its full slate of candidates in the fall.

— With files from The Canadian Press

jherring@postmedia.com

Twitter: @jasonfherring

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Alberta politician angry after COVID-19 protesters leave gallows, noose at her house
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Nov 02, 2021 • 11 hours ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation
Grand Prairie MLA Tracy Allard is pictured in a file photo. PHOTO BY PETER SHOKEIR /Postmedia Network files
Article content
EDMONTON — An Alberta member of the legislature says she is outraged after COVID-19 protesters came to her house on the weekend and hung up a noose.

Tracy Allard calls the threats and intimidation inexcusable and says her private life and her family are out of bounds to protesters.

“The most disturbing piece for me was at the end of it they left a noose — and that is a clear act of aggression and utterly unacceptable.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

Allard, a United Conservative backbencher for Grande Prairie, said she was travelling to Edmonton on Sunday afternoon when she got a call about a large crowd in front of her house.

Allard said the protesters left behind a crude wooden gallows, with a noose, and the words “No to masks. End the gov’t. Hang ‘em all.”

RCMP confirmed they were called to investigate the large gathering in front of Allard’s home around 3 p.m. Sunday.

Const. Lindsay Ralph said officers attended the protest and saw the gallows and noose attached upright to a fence.

“They did see that stick with the noose on the end. It was attached to a fence located near the property,” Ralph said in an interview.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“Officers did speak to the people in attendance and explained to them that (it) should be removed, and they did take it down.”

She said no charges were laid, but Allard said she is looking to see if the police will investigate further.

This was not the first time an Alberta politician has faced public backlash for rules tied to the COVID-19 pandemic response.

Last summer, then-health minister Tyler Shandro and his family were publicly harassed at a Canada Day event by protesters upset by COVID-19 public health restrictions.

Premier Jason Kenney’s government has faced criticism from Albertans, including some of his rural caucus members, for previous health restrictions, mask rules and more recently for a form of vaccine passport that severely curtails customer capacity for non-participating businesses.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Allard has previously urged people to get vaccinated but said she respects the right to choose. She has called for more COVID-19 testing and more hospital surge capacity to fight the coronavirus.

In the spring, she was among a number of UCP backbenchers who signed a public letter criticizing a return to previous health restrictions.

“I believe that I have the reputation for listening, for understanding instead of listening to be right or make somebody else wrong. I’m open to different perspectives,” she said.

“This particular group (of protesters) wants — I’m not sure exactly what they want. Freedom is the word I keep hearing, although I don’t know who they are, so I can’t even have a conversation with them.”

Allard made headlines at the start of the year when she resigned as municipal affairs minister after it was revealed she took a Christmas vacation to Hawaii.

She was among a number of United Conservative legislature members and staff to take holiday trips to hot spots despite Kenney’s government urging Albertans to stay home to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Allard choked up as she told reporters, “2021 has been a very rough year for my family.

“As a woman in politics, I think it’s been really challenging to see how cruel people can be,” she said. “I’m thinking of my daughter, who has faced significant backlash as the daughter of a politician, and that should not be the case.

This is so disgusting! Why are people so crass & cowards? Why couldn't they call for an appointment to discuss what they're so angry about? WTH???

Reactions: taxslave

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Canadian Press
Article content

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

Sometimes people must do what they must do. When politicians refuse to listen to we the peasants, well, what else do they expect? A dozen roses and a box of Tom Hanks chocolates? We the peasants are starting to get really fed up with all of these Marxist politicians who keep acting like a bunch of incompetent communists baboons and who keeps trying to take our rights and freedoms away from us, and give us communism. If that bitch really gave a shit about freedom then she would probably have been given a dozen roses and a box of Tom Hanks chocolates instead.

I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that this bitch hates Pierre Poilievre? :unsure:

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Why would anybody think politicians have any answers . They are just pretty faces that learned how to speak without saying anything.

Pretty much all of our pretty face politicians are all just a bunch of puppet on a string WEF globalist buffoons who do the real speaking for those bought off baboon like useless politicians. We have no real political leaders in Canada anymore, if we really ever had any in the first place, but just follower politicians who do as they are commanded by the WEF globalist elite. Globalism is killing everything everywhere and our brain dead politicians pretty much support those WEF scum. Just my opinion of course. :D

Reactions: Dixie Cup

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island