Alberta Election Trail

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Anyone following the election in Alberta? Very interesting indeed.
NDP out front at the moment in two major polls as of today and
Tories coming back into second. NDP 38% Tories 30% Wildrose
in third.
What is of interest is the undecided has dropped to 29%.
True NDP is strong mostly in Edmonton area however they are
doing well in Calgary. The official opposition with a lot more seats
is possible and some are predicting a minority government status.
Regardless numbers like this does not bode well for Mr Harper come
October 19th Politics is getting interesting to say the least.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Anyone following the election in Alberta? Very interesting indeed.
NDP out front at the moment in two major polls as of today and
Tories coming back into second. NDP 38% Tories 30% Wildrose
in third.
What is of interest is the undecided has dropped to 29%.
True NDP is strong mostly in Edmonton area however they are
doing well in Calgary. The official opposition with a lot more seats
is possible and some are predicting a minority government status.
Regardless numbers like this does not bode well for Mr Harper come
October 19th Politics is getting interesting to say the least.

Wildrose will win.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
With close numbers no one knows who will win and if it will be a majority
Wildrose is actually fading in metro areas and the Tories and NDP will
close the gap on each other. Tories are coming back somewhat and the
NDP is still surging. I wouldn't count my chickens if I were any of them.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In your dreams. They had a chance before the mass defection, now it's going to take WR a few more years to gain back the confidence.

ND have a good shot at the official opposition. Liberals falling in the polls.WR strong in rural ares.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually the best financial management of government funds was in Sask.
when the NDP were in power they had something like 16 balanced budgets
in a row in those years

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Actually the best financial management of government funds was in Sask.
when the NDP were in power they had something like 16 balanced budgets
in a row in those years
Actually, under Brad Wall's Saskatchewan Party, that province continues to do well and he's not a dipper. I think any party could do well as long as they have the province's best interest at heart by managing taxpayers money like it was their own, and didn't cater to special interest groups.

The problem Alberta has is that this government has been in power WAAAAAYYYYY too long and the result is corruption, cronyism etc., etc.

The decision we have to make is who is telling the truth; who has our best interests at heart and who is willing to give up the goodies that previous governments lined their pockets with? Who is willing to make the hard decisions that have to be made in order to get things back to where they should be, because we don't have a revenue problem; we do certainly have a spending problem. We spend where we shouldn't and don't spend where its needed.

How is it that we spend more per capita on Health and Education and yet rank mid-range in one or both? How can that be? So to my simple mind, someone is doing very well while the rest of us have to put up with incompetence and lousy service.

That's where I'm at and why I am having an issue trying to figure out where to put my vote.

JMHO

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Saskatchewan under Tommy Douglas right up to the last NDP Premier actually did well.
Brad Wall is a man who does both right and left depending on what the situation is at the
time. Roy Rominow did the same thing because they put the Province first.
Notley is one of those people she is following the course her late father would have set.
Wildrose does not have the leadership required and the current administration has been
there far too long they actually believe they have an entitlement to rule and need to go.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That goes back to when SK was third most populated province which mean't heavy influence in Ottawa. It all fell apart under Blakney when that edge was lost and economic drivers of the province hit hard. We don't have the same economic reliances any longer thanks to diversication. Devine f-cked up big time with too much shift too soon with ridiculous 1980s interest rates. Wall was around to see the mistakes and like everyone else paid out the as$ to stay and finish the economic development that has us sitting pretty today. All those that stuck around and stuck it through have been rewarded immensely. It saw the boom coming and got out of BC at the perfect time. I have zero regrets.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah grumpy, I agree but somehow I'm not sure if I could vote NDP - not saying that I wouldn't - but I can't help but think of the BC and Ontario experiment. Saskatchewan was the exception I think. Having said that, Grant Notley, from what I understand (I was very young when he was killed), was a good man and maybe his daughter will be as well. Its just getting around the politics of things that's giving me a hard time. My earlier posting about the "Ant" and the "grasshopper" describes leftie thinking which really bothers me on one hand.

On the other, I honestly don't know who I'm gonna vote for and to make things even worse, I really admire my MLA - he's helped me out in a couple of situations that may not have had a good result without his assistance and he's a PC'er. So I am in a real quandary - I don't really want the PC's back in, I really like my MLA and there are two alternatives that might be ones I can vote for.

I've read the platforms and they're all platitudes and mostly the same varying only in who is going to be taxed (or not), how they're going to be taxed (or not), how they're going to improve healthcare (no specifics) and education (again, no specifics except maybe to hire more teachers), improve infrastructure (again no specifics except maybe timelines) - they're all basically saying the same thing.
Not one person grabs me and states categorically that this is what is going to happen and how. Its frustrating to say the least.

I'm thinking that politicians make it so because they know the vast majority of us are lazy and couldn't be bothered to try to get to the bottom of what each political party truly stands for and just either don't vote or votes for whomever it going to make it worth their while - screw the province as a whole.

I think this election could prove to be quite important and I would be really dismayed if the PC's got back in (sorry Gene).

JMHO

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Petros normally I would agree with you but in this case it depends on how
many people are just angry over the way the current government is being
led. They have been there too long. Three ways to correct it. Throw them
out, reduce their numbers or hand them a minority government.
Alberta is restless and they haven't made up their mind yet. Also take into
account they are the youngest voting province in Canada according to stats.
God only knows how this will end. Just saying there is a restless group that
is all.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think there is room for a mixture but most are angry at the budget
and the way the present government presented their case with the
arrogance of a government there too long. Prentice over did his
speaking ability and the electorate does not want him it appears.
It will be tough to win but the best chance for Wildrose or the NDP
and the chance might not come again for a long time.
Wildrose is in trouble as they are still fighting their own and the
Tories have outlived their welcome. Tracking polls show movement
and its NDP and Wildrose the Tories are heading for third place
unless there is a miracle Even at that its too close to call or say one
or another is going to win

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The outcome will be a minority of some sorts. I don't think people are pissed enough to go outright left.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
New Government ‘Inevitable’

May 1st, 2015. Mainstreet Technologies’ final election poll of 3,143 Albertans finds the NDP leading in every region of the province with the PCs in a clear third. The poll carries a margin of error of +/- 1.85%, 19/20.

New Government 'Inevitable'