Al Gore Receives Nobel Peace Prize

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/politics&id=5824841

Al Gore received his Nobel Peace Prize on Monday and urged the United States and China to make the boldest moves on climate change or "stand accountable before history for their failure to act."
"We, the human species, are confronting a planetary emergency - a threat to the survival of our civilization that is gathering ominous and destructive potential even as we gather here," Gore said in his acceptance speech.

Contrary to the wishes of the right wingers, the UN and the majority of scientists believe that there is, indeed, global warming and that it threatens the standard of living as we know it today.

So many of these critics have absolutely no scientific credentials and have no qualifications to properly determine if these scientific reports are true or not. But, as usual, they feel that by merely criticizing and insulting a particular person that this is all that is necessary in order to ''refute'' anyone whom they disagree with.

For myself, not having any scientific knowledge, I cannot ascertain whether global warming is fact or not. But rather than criticize, I say let's keep an open mind and allow scientists to determine whether any of this is true or not. Furthermore, in the interest of everyone's well being, let us take constructive steps to avoid any possible negative consequences arising from the problem rather than sit by and face any possible
catastrophe
as happened in New Orleans.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_ages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

Looking back at history and all the times it was much colder then today, I'm glad I was born in a warmer period of time. For most of history it was 5 degrees colder then it is today. I'd find that slightly chilly.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
``In an interview before his speech, Mr. Gore said that the Bush administration was “the principal stumbling block to progress in Bali right now” but that he foresaw a change in American policy, regardless of which party won the 2008 election.``

It's probably true. So get used to it.;-)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Even so, with state regulations, 50% of Americans are actually under Kyoto equivalent targets.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
``In an interview before his speech, Mr. Gore said that the Bush administration was “the principal stumbling block to progress in Bali right now” but that he foresaw a change in American policy, regardless of which party won the 2008 election.``

It would be unfortunate if Bush was the the only one saving as from such an egregious environmental tax. You think government is corrupt on a country wide scale how much power do we wish to give to an international bureaucracy?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Fix environment without U.S., Gore tells climate change summit

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=93315a55-e5c1-447f-9ddd-1638bb039235

``The Bush administration is the main obstacle to progress in international efforts to fight global warming, but the rest of the world should move on without it, former U.S. vice-president Al Gore said ... I am going to speak an inconvenient truth: My own country, the United States, is principally responsible for obstructing progress here in Bali. We all know that."

A huge percentage of the world agrees. But somehow, the right wingers in CC feel that this is a myth.:roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Of course Bush is the major stumbling block. He is to blame for everything and is the easiest target. Now say that about China and then we'll see how sharp the GW Religion is.

I just love how all of the attendees of the Balli Conference flew in on private jets, had limos pick them up. There were so many private jets inbound to Balli that once they dropped off their few passengers they had to fly to other airports to make room for even more private jets. Burning up more fossil fuels and pumping (once again) vast loads of C02 into the atmosphere as they always do.

Hypocrisy reigned in Bali. Nothing more. That is why it is indeed a myth.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/politics&id=5824841

Al Gore received his Nobel Peace Prize on Monday and urged the United States and China to make the boldest moves on climate change or "stand accountable before history for their failure to act."
"We, the human species, are confronting a planetary emergency - a threat to the survival of our civilization that is gathering ominous and destructive potential even as we gather here," Gore said in his acceptance speech.

Contrary to the wishes of the right wingers, the UN and the majority of scientists believe that there is, indeed, global warming and that it threatens the standard of living as we know it today.

So many of these critics have absolutely no scientific credentials and have no qualifications to properly determine if these scientific reports are true or not. But, as usual, they feel that by merely criticizing and insulting a particular person that this is all that is necessary in order to ''refute'' anyone whom they disagree with.

For myself, not having any scientific knowledge, I cannot ascertain whether global warming is fact or not. But rather than criticize, I say let's keep an open mind and allow scientists to determine whether any of this is true or not. Furthermore, in the interest of everyone's well being, let us take constructive steps to avoid any possible negative consequences arising from the problem rather than sit by and face any possible catastrophe as happened in New Orleans.

So GW caused Katrina? If there was not any GW Katrina would have never happened? Hurricanes are a new phenomena because of GW?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Of course Bush is the major stumbling block. He is to blame for everything and is the easiest target. Now say that about China and then we'll see how sharp the GW Religion is.

I just love how all of the attendees of the Balli Conference flew in on private jets, had limos pick them up. There were so many private jets inbound to Balli that once they dropped off their few passengers they had to fly to other airports to make room for even more private jets. Burning up more fossil fuels and pumping (once again) vast loads of C02 into the atmosphere as they always do.

Hypocrisy reigned in Bali. Nothing more. That is why it is indeed a myth.

Governments choose who they bring with them to these meetings. Maybe we should ask all government officials to travel economy, and use taxis, for both domestic and foreign travel.

Duh, nearly everything we do pumps CO2 into the atmosphere, that's the whole point of the conference, to work towards a plan that reverses that trend.

The other options are what, video conferencing, for how many countries, and how many languages. As hard as a conference is to plan for, planning for a global video conference would be even worse. The world probably couldn't even decide on what time to hold that video call, let alone an agreement on deforestation.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And what did this latest conference do or say that they haven't been pounding in our heads for a few years now? It was the same old blubbering, whining, and blaming the USA. In the meantime they burned countless resources.

And yes. They should have taken regular flights like everyone else to do their part. To do their share in saving the environment. Instead they once again showed that their energy use is not to be counted. Their ideals and message are in opposition to how they live their lives. They are making a business out of this. Al Gore charges $6,000.00 a minute now for a speaking engagement. Do you really think he wants this myth to be exposed? I wouldn't if I was him.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, the media for one has done a very poor job of explaining what exactly this conference is about, and what the goals are. Do you know what they are? What the media has done, is sing to the tune they have been all along. The pieces have been set for quite some time now.

What myth are you talking about?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Enlighten me then. If it wasn't a conference to repeat how supposedly catastrophic this GW is and how the USA stinks so bad then what was it?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
``So GW caused Katrina? If there was not any GW Katrina would have never happened? Hurricanes are a new phenomena because of GW?``

Where does it say that Bush caused Katrina?

More obfuscation ... ho, hum ...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
For the people who can use their brains in these threads GW stands for Global Warming.

I should have known there were people who are intellectually challenged reading them as well.

Reactions: thomaska

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Enlighten me then. If it wasn't a conference to repeat how supposedly catastrophic this GW is and how the USA stinks so bad then what was it?

This conference, was convened for 187 countries to work out the language of a three page document that will frame the next negotiations. Those negotiations will produce the agreement which replaces Kyoto in 2012. The reason that there has been so much disagreement, is because each group is lobbying for their own position. The EU is well on their way to de-carbonating their economy, and favours stronger language than most other voting blocks. Australia essentially sat on the fence, hoping to play a brokering role. Canada basically was obstructionist in our stance. And developing nations were looking for more tangible commitments from developed nations. The US stinks, sure, but no more than Canada. There is yet to be any credible alternative strategies from nations like Canada or the US to strategies like Europe's, but we're big on rhetoric...

That's about the best summary I can come up with for the past two weeks, and over 800 meetings.