Abolish the Senate

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Actually, it was Reform coming along and splitting the right wing vote in half that kept Cretien in power.
Reform didn't keep Cretian anywhere the Bloc did . One half of the Mulrooney government including his most senior cabinet ministers all deserted ship at once . I lived through Pierre Bouchard and the referendum years and little son wants to recreate those years . Remember Cretian Mulrooney Trudeau , all wanted to fundamentally change Canada in their image .
I do not see Heir Harper playing those fun and games .

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
NDP leader says Harper's Senate gambit is the 'highest form of flattery'

You have to admit it's a bold move for Stephen Harper. To make a virtue of appointing no senators, having appointed a record 59 — after promising not to — well, that's what the word chutzpahwas invented for.

Besides that, there's bleak poetry in the fact that, if Harper has his way and the Senate withers away for lack of new blood, then the last man standing would be the last to reach the mandatory retirement age of 75. Yes, that's Harper's appointee, Patrick Brazeau, currently under indictment.

And give Harper extra points for getting Thomas Mulcair to applaud all this. OK, sarcastically, but still.

Asked about Harper's assertion Friday that "no-one's gonna complain" about the missing senators, Mulcair declared on CBC Radio's The House that he would not complain.

"I guess that imitation is the highest form of flattery," the NDP leader allowed during a pause in his own campaign rounds in Kitchener, Ont.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/a...-different-paths-to-senate-end-game-1.3167577

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Here's the thing.

With enough pressure now, this can actually become an election issue and that will at least get the ball rolling.

Unfortunately, the bigger provinces and the littlest provinces will never come on board because they stand to lose. This selfishness is the reason why the Senate hasn't been reformed to date. This is truly unfortunate because the country as a whole suffers the incompetence of those who are appointed and end up being scum bags and both the liberal and conservative parties are guilty of those kinds of appointments. At least with an elected, if that's the option, senate the people would have the option of getting rid of them - the 75 years of age option would be out the door. Of course abolishing would save tons of money. Either way, it's not gonna happen just because there's an election. Feds can't do it alone - period! The SC told them so (speaking of abolishing appointee's...sometimes I wonder about them too).

JMHO

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Unfortunately, the bigger provinces and the littlest provinces will never come on board because they stand to lose. This selfishness is the reason why the Senate hasn't been reformed to date. This is truly unfortunate because the country as a whole suffers the incompetence of those who are appointed and end up being scum bags and both the liberal and conservative parties are guilty of those kinds of appointments. At least with an elected, if that's the option, senate the people would have the option of getting rid of them - the 75 years of age option would be out the door. Of course abolishing would save tons of money. Either way, it's not gonna happen just because there's an election. Feds can't do it alone - period! The SC told them so (speaking of abolishing appointee's...sometimes I wonder about them too).

JMHO

The whole thing is rotten, Dixie, just look at the representation in the West compared with that of the Maritimes. Why aren't the western provinces marching on Ottawa demanding proportionate representation. Bloody P.E.I. has more representation than B.C. Anyone can see the whole thing is rigged!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The whole thing is rotten, Dixie, just look at the representation in the West compared with that of the Maritimes. Why aren't the western provinces marching on Ottawa demanding proportionate representation. Bloody P.E.I. has more representation than B.C. Anyone can see the whole thing is rigged!

BC has an economy while PEI has well.... senators.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
wow! a record 59 appointed senators that could have been elected senators but the provinces didn't take Harper up on his offer to appoint elected senators. The provinces really dropped the ball on this one. And, now the leftards are trying to blame Harper.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
wow! a record 59 appointed senators that could have been elected senators but the provinces didn't take Harper up on his offer to appoint elected senators. The provinces really dropped the ball on this one. And, now the leftards are trying to blame Harper.

Just go to a dipper website. Most of the comments make MF look pretty intelligent.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Abolish the Senate

The newly highlighted imperfections of Canada's Senate have caused me sufficient concern to investigate somewhat further.

I am appalled at what this costs the taxpayer. For the past 15 years, the average annual session has been 73 days. There are up to 105 senators earning a salary of about $142,000. I am no mathematician, but by my calculations they earn almost $2,000 per day, even for days they don't attend.

What value are Canadians receiving for the over $100 million per year this institution costs overall? Personally, I feel sure our money could be used more wisely.

I do understand that it would take some time and effort to abolish the Senate. However, other countries have done so, why can't Canada?

http://m.therecord.com/opinion-story/5651914-abolish-the-senate

Sober second thought apointed is cheaper than elected

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think we should have a Senate that is elected by the people for 5 year terms and representation by population. But we don't need hundreds of them, ten would be ample, one for each of the western provinces, 2 for Ontario 2 for Quebec, 1 for the maritimes and one for the north - roughly. There has to be an independent body to check bills before they get enacted. Limit their pay to $75,000 a year and a per diem of $150 a day while in Ottawa. I suppose they should have a grade 12 education and be able to prove they have worked for a substantial period of the their lives & have never been a bureaucrat.