2SLGBTQQIA+

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
City councillor resigns hours after being appointed as social media posts resurface
“I recognize councillors were not aware of those posts before today’s discussion": Rosemary Bryan

Author of the article:Scott Laurie
Publishing date:Jun 25, 2022 • 8 hours ago • 1 minute read • 25 Comments

Rosemarie Bryan had only been a Toronto city councillor for Etobicoke North for several hours when she resigned over social media posts.

“I have resigned this appointment effective tonight,” she wrote about four hours after being named to the job.

“I am so devastated that past social media posts I have made are now being thrown against my decades of commitment to the community.”

Bryan, a community worker, had been appointed by city council after a special meeting was held Friday afternoon to fill the vacancy created after former councillor Michael Ford was elected MPP.

Bryan was among 21 candidates considered in the appointment process to replace him.

Each was given an opportunity to address council and answer questions at Friday’s special meeting.

“I recognize councillors were not aware of those posts before today’s discussion and now that they are, I recognize many would not have cast their vote for me,” she wrote in her resignation letter.

Documents presented to council earlier in the day said Bryan works for the Salvation Army as a community and family services manager.

Mayor John Tory issued a statement Friday night supporting Bryan’s sudden resignation.

“Rosemarie Bryan has resigned the city council seat she was appointed to today,” read a late statement from John Tory.

“Some of her past social media posts were brought to everyone’s attention. These posts are not acceptable for a Toronto city councillor.”

The mayor added that he totally disagrees with any homophobic or transphobic views.

“I would not have voted for this appointment had I been aware of these posts and I know that is the sentiment of the vast majority of council who also voted today,” Tory’s statement said.

He said he has asked city officials to review the appointment process.

Bryan’s appointment was to take effect immediately upon taking the declaration of office and until the current term of council expires on Monday, Nov. 14.

Etobicoke North is now vacant once again.

The next city council meeting is July 19.

slaurie@postmedia.com
twitter.com/_ScottLaurie

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
City councillor resigns hours after being appointed as social media posts resurface
“I recognize councillors were not aware of those posts before today’s discussion": Rosemary Bryan

Author of the article:Scott Laurie
Publishing date:Jun 25, 2022 • 8 hours ago • 1 minute read • 25 Comments

Rosemarie Bryan had only been a Toronto city councillor for Etobicoke North for several hours when she resigned over social media posts.

“I have resigned this appointment effective tonight,” she wrote about four hours after being named to the job.

“I am so devastated that past social media posts I have made are now being thrown against my decades of commitment to the community.”

Bryan, a community worker, had been appointed by city council after a special meeting was held Friday afternoon to fill the vacancy created after former councillor Michael Ford was elected MPP.

Bryan was among 21 candidates considered in the appointment process to replace him.

Each was given an opportunity to address council and answer questions at Friday’s special meeting.

“I recognize councillors were not aware of those posts before today’s discussion and now that they are, I recognize many would not have cast their vote for me,” she wrote in her resignation letter.

Documents presented to council earlier in the day said Bryan works for the Salvation Army as a community and family services manager.

Mayor John Tory issued a statement Friday night supporting Bryan’s sudden resignation.

“Rosemarie Bryan has resigned the city council seat she was appointed to today,” read a late statement from John Tory.

“Some of her past social media posts were brought to everyone’s attention. These posts are not acceptable for a Toronto city councillor.”

The mayor added that he totally disagrees with any homophobic or transphobic views.

“I would not have voted for this appointment had I been aware of these posts and I know that is the sentiment of the vast majority of council who also voted today,” Tory’s statement said.

He said he has asked city officials to review the appointment process.

Bryan’s appointment was to take effect immediately upon taking the declaration of office and until the current term of council expires on Monday, Nov. 14.

Etobicoke North is now vacant once again.

The next city council meeting is July 19.

slaurie@postmedia.com
twitter.com/_ScottLaurie
Proof that honesty gets you nowhere in politics.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Ontario elementary school cancels 'Lightyear' viewing due to 'questionable content'

The LGBTQ+ movement is going to lose a lot of their gains to reactionary conservatives. Drag queen story time will be remembered as the time that the movement jumped the shark. They were warned that they were pushing too hard but they didn't listen. We moved past the point of tolerance and acceptance a long time ago and now anything less than adoration and celebration of their lifestyle is considered bigoted.