2016 World Junior Hockey Championship

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Canada/Czech game was fun to watch as there were three teammates from our hometown major junior team playing (Chabot and Joseph for Canada, Zboril for Czech)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Simply outstanding game today between the Russians and the U.S. Tied 3 - 3 it went to OT - that didn't change anything and it was off to a SO. It took 2 rounds but in the end the Americans prevailed and are off to the Gold Medal game while the Russians will play for Bronze. Really great goal-tending in this game and it was played in full measure by both teams.

4 - 3 final

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Great first period for both teams though not so good for Connor Ingram who let in two iffy goals and was pulled in favor of Carter Hart who stopped 14 after coming off the bench. Score tied 2 - 2 end of the first. Only one penalty for Canada in the first P but they need to stay out of the box for the next 40 minutes.

Our Juniors are doing all they can to keep the Swedes at bay - Carter Hart has been superb in net for Canada. Sweden isn't letting up but Canada is on the puck, fore checking well and have had lots of chances only stopped by the Swedish net minder. Great two periods for Canada who lead 3 - 2 after 2. They are giving us the game we hoped they would. 20 more minutes will tell the story.

Canada will play the U.S. in the Gold Medal round after resoundingly answering every critic that thought they might fall short against the Swedes. Canada probably played its best game of the tournament tonight and they played it without one of their best defencemen who is out with a concussion suffered against the Americans. Rock on Canadian Juniors - well deserved win.

Our coach Dominique Ducharme made one of the best plays early when he pulled Connor Ingram in favor of Carter Hart who went on to stop 38 SOGs.

Final: 5 - 2

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The Canada/Czech game was fun to watch as there were three teammates from our hometown major junior team playing (Chabot and Joseph for Canada, Zboril for Czech)

Chabot was picked as one of the best players of the tournament tonight, TP - and a well-deserved honor for him.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Chabot was picked as one of the best players of the tournament tonight, TP - and a well-deserved honor for him.
The Senators have a gem in that guy. Why can't the Canucks draft like that?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Kudos to Dominique Ducharme. His replacement of the goalie was the turning point of the game for Canada. He also made a couple of really good line changes tonight that paid off in goals. Strome got his first in two games. Cirelli and Stephens got a goal apiece and Gautier came through with two including the empty-netter.

Fabbro didn't get a goal but he sure as heck saved us one when the puck got behind Carter at one point.

The team delivered exactly what their coach had asked of them. They were hard on the defence, forceful on the forecheck, disciplined on the puck and kept their penalties minutes to a minimum while winning on the PK. In short, they were the team we hoped would show up in the most important game of the tournament against a team proven to be better in every category and a top of the tournament.

Tomorrow Canada plays for the Gold Medal. Let us wish them luck and a fair wind.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Russian wins the Bronze Medal in OT and again Sweden comes up short - they have to figure out this failure to finish in the most important games. Congratulations to the Russian kids - well done.

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Go Go Go! Git those godless Merican!

This is a particularly stupid comment coming from you, CC. Why bother to comment at all - you obviously have no interest in these games.

Sure I'm cheering for our Canadian Juniors but if they come up short against the American kids then that's the way it goes and I will be sure to congratulate the U.S. for a game well-played.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
This is a particularly stupid comment coming from you, CC. Why bother to comment at all - you obviously have no interest in these games.

Sure I'm cheering for our Canadian Juniors but if they come up short against the American kids then that's the way it goes and I will be sure to congratulate the U.S. for a game well-played.

Wrong and wrong again.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
two great games today as USA > Russia in shoot out while Canada > Sweden 5-2

how I wish all of these players were future NY Rangers and Islanders!

they need to lose big to get some good draft picks
er...
go team go!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Gold Medal Game

Canadian Juniors vs American Juniors

15:22 Thomas Chabot gets first goal of game for Canada

10:58 Jeremy Lauzon gets 2nd goal for Canada

Canada on the PK after Dubois penalty just over 8 minutes left in P - US takes penalty with 19 seconds left in Canadian penalty - 4 on 4 for 19 seconds then Canada on the PP - excellent PK for our kids who had two solid chances on net short-handed - no SOGs for us in 1rst PP

2 - 0 Canada end of 1rst

Good first P for Canada after a slow and sloppy first five minutes - better midway through and an excellent final five. They made some mistakes but were pretty quick to recover. Hart wasn't challenged much but did come up with a couple of really solid saves.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I love hockey, I saw realtime Gordie Howe whern I was doin HockeyNightinCanada.Them were the six team days, the big league. Those were ythre days of rfeal hockey, the slashing the treipping the boarding fights, Hockey Night in Canada has becomew genter neutral.

Terry Sawchuck had seven hunderd facial stiches, during his careeer. The face shield was a later devcwelopement in the sport. Most of the old guys are dead now , strangely. there was this forward in Montreal who could penetrate concrete, a French name. Forward left I think. Slowly.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Tied 4 apiece this game is going to OT - just like the last time these two teams met in the Gold Medal game. The US won that one.

I love hockey, I saw realtime Gordie Howe whern I was doin HockeyNightinCanada.Them were the six team days, the big league. Those were ythre days of rfeal hockey, the slashing the treipping the boarding fights, Hockey Night in Canada has becomew genter neutral.

Terry Sawchuck had seven hunderd facial stiches, during his careeer. The face shield was a later devcwelopement in the sport. Most of the old guys are dead now , strangely. there was this forward in Montreal who could penetrate concrete, a French name. Forward left I think. Slowly.

I vividly remember how rough those games used to be, DB - my Dad was a Habs fan and our family never missed a game. Truth to tell, I like the newer cleaner game so much better. I want to see skill, speed and fantastic puck handling - not two idiots punching each others lights out on the ice. JMO :smile:

The USA wins Gold in a SO - congratulations to the Americans and our kids will take home the Silver - thanks for a great tournament to our Juniors. It was one helluva game. One of the very best games I've seen in awhile.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
lol, but luckily Jacques Plante got tired of the face plant and the game has not been the same since

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
My heart is still fluttering from all that action in the Gold game. I was in a chat room and several folks said the same - it was so incredibly intense! Both teams gave it all - 100%. No doubt in my mind that NHL scouts were highly pleased with what they saw as the talent will continue to replenish the lineups in the league.

I am eagerly looking forward to watching these stars in the NHL real soon. A sensational tournament!

Kudos to all.