2016 World Junior Hockey Championship

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Latvians were pretty darn good through the first part of period 1 testing Hart several times while the Canadians were a tad lackluster in the beginning but that all changed in the latter part of the period and from then on our Juniors ruled the ice. Unfortunately, they also spent way too much time in the penalty box - way too much time. They have to get back to playing clean hockey or the U.S. will make them pay. Hart let in a couple of iffy goals especially the break-away goal by the Latvian player - will be interesting to see who gets the start against the U.S.

Biggest shock of the tourney so far is the collapse of last year's Gold Medal team the Fins.

The have lost 3 close games ... only 1 by more than 1 goal. Not sure I would call that a collapse. I think last year they won most of their games by a goal so this could be just luck of the puck.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The Swiss are battling back in the 2nd P after Denmark got off to an early lead - at one point being ahead by 3 goals. Midway through the 2nd and the Danes only lead by a single goal. GO SWITZERLAND, GO.

The have lost 3 close games ... only 1 by more than 1 goal. Not sure I would call that a collapse. I think last year they won most of their games by a goal so this could be just luck of the puck.

If the Swiss somehow manage to beat the Danes today, Finland will be eliminated from the quarterfinals and face relegation - I'd say that was if not a collapse, at the very least a total surprise, IRBS.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Certainly it would not have been expected.

The Fins are out of the quarterfinals after Switzerland beat the Danes in a shoot-out winning 5 - 4. The Swiss were down 3 - 1 at one point and managed to battle back to tie the Danes forcing OT. Really exciting OT where the Swiss ruled the ice - the Danes didn't have a single SOG - while the Swiss had 22 ending the game with 72 SOGs while the Danes lagged far behind - it was basically the play of their goalie that kept them Krug was outstanding in net for them but faltered in the shoot-out - the Swiss got two goals and the Danes, nary a one.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The Fins ended up making history just not the way they might have envisioned. They are the first team in the history of the World Junior Championship to fall from Gold Medal Champions to relegation the next year.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Re: 2017 World Junior Hockey Championship

Our Juniors won their first game of the per-competition series shutting out Finland 5 - 0. They play the Czechs on Wednesday (4PM PST on TSN1, 2, 3 and 4). Friday they will play Switzerland. The preliminaries get underway on Boxing Day.

Dylan Strome was named captain of Canada’s team for the world junior hockey championship.

Go Team Canada - Go!

Realized I had the wrong year in the title - so I changed it.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
One of the most anticipated Junior hockey games of the year is about to get underway Team Canada vs Team USA.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Still shows 2016. May have to ask mod to change thread name.

Not worth the bother, IRBS - but thanks for the suggestion.............and

GO CANADA, GO...................ROCK THE ICE TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!:canada:

I would like them to win but I would rather they beat them in the playoffs. Not sure betting on a sweep against Team USA is wise.

I'm not a betting person, IRBS but if I were I wouldn't be betting on this game even though my hopes are high for Team Canada.

USA leads the Canadians 2 zip in the first on the strength of 2 PP goals. Canada has two PPs of their own - 1 was a 5 - 3 advantage but were unable to find the net

Great first P for the American kids, not so great for ours. 2 zip after the first for the US

Canada on the board with a PP goal

USA back up by 2 with just over 6 left in the 2nd

So far, IMO, the USA have been the better team on the ice and not just because they have the lead - they got it by out playing our kids who have looked at times both sloppy and nervous - nothing like the team we saw early in the competition. It took the Canadians most of a 5 minute major and part of a 2-man advantage to finally find the net for their only goal of the game thus far. Our teams have been known to come back strong in 3rd periods, I'm hoping that will be the case in this game.

STAY OUT OF THE BOX!

and GO CANADA, GO!

Congratulations to Team USA for a very well played game. Final 3 - 1

Finland easily won their game over the Swiss today with a 2 zip shut-out. Really happy to see them come back and take this one. Kind of makes you wonder what an earlier coaching change might have meant to the team's fortunes.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Finland easily won their game over the Swiss today with a 2 zip shut-out. Really happy to see them come back and take this one. Kind of makes you wonder what an earlier coaching change might have meant to the team's fortunes.

If they had lost to the Swiss, I would have been shocked ... regardless of the coach.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Great game!

Kunin dq'd for what was called "interference" even though it was a shoulder-to-shoulder hit. Goalie Joe Woll did a splendid job in keeping the puck out of the net. I thought USA's checking was a bit weak and thought they slowed down much in the 3d period. Now the question is, with the under sized lineup, can we still succeed in the knockout games?

Am hoping so!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Great game!

Kunin dq'd for what was called "interference" even though it was a shoulder-to-shoulder hit. Goalie Joe Woll did a splendid job in keeping the puck out of the net. I thought USA's checking was a bit weak and thought they slowed down much in the 3d period. Now the question is, with the under sized lineup, can we still succeed in the knockout games?

Am hoping so!

Bob MacDonald thought the refs got the call wrong, gopher - they could have called boarding or a high hit - both of which would have resulted in the 5-minute major and the misconduct charge as per IIHF rules. It was a stupid move by the captain as the puck was nowhere in sight when he decided to charge Meyers. That said, it was the only bad misstep by the Americans who otherwise played a really solid game and deserved the win.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Semi-finals set for the World Juniors. Canada after winning their game over the Czechs 5 - 3 will face Sweden and the US who got by the Swiss with a 3 - 2 win will play Russia.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm not really into ice hockey, but I'm currently playing on NHL 99 on the PlayStation 2. I'm a team called Carolina Hurricanes and I'm currently top of the NFL, although I've got it on easy. That bloke over the Tannoy who keeps telling the parents of a missing child to report to the ticket office is annoying.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Semi-finals set for the World Juniors. Canada after winning their game over the Czechs 5 - 3 will face Sweden and the US who got by the Swiss with a 3 - 2 win will play Russia.

Watched both games. Yanks appeared just a bit tired. Hopefully, USA will win vs Russkies. Canadians attacked with their usual enthusiasm.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Watched both games. Yanks appeared just a bit tired. Hopefully, USA will win vs Russkies. Canadians attacked with their usual enthusiasm.

The first period of our Juniors game against the Czechs was forgettable, gopher and if they are that slow off the mark against Sweden they will pay for it. That said, they were much better in the 2nd and 3rd playing a much more disciplined game and taking the game to the Czechs with much time spent in the opposing zone. This will be their biggest test of the tourney and I earnestly hope they are up for it.

The Russians will make a game of it for the Americans but if Greenway plays as well as he has so far and gets support from the rest of the team, I expect they will prevail.