1/3 Population of Puerto Rico Gets Food Stamps from U.S. Gov’t

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I hope you like how it tastes because you're going to eat it.

Within the United States

Puerto Rico, U.S. quarter, reverse side, 2009

Constitutionally, Puerto Rico is subject to the Congress's plenary powers under the territorial clause of Article IV, sec. 3, of the U.S. Constitution.[86] U.S. federal law applies to Puerto Rico, even though Puerto Rico is not a state of the American Union and their residents have no voting representation in the U.S. Congress. Like the States of the American Union, Puerto Rico lacks "the full sovereignty of an independent nation", for example, the power to manage its "external relations with other nations", which is held by the Federal Government. The U.S. Supreme Court has indicated that once the Constitution has been extended to an area (by Congress or the Courts), its coverage is irrevocable. To hold that the political branches may switch the Constitution on or off at will would lead to a regime in which they, not this Court, say "what the law is.".[87]

Now please answer the question.....................

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Unincorporated territory owned and run by the United States Corporation established in 1871

Just like a state? No difference?

Anyways.... PR is a drain.

Some Canadians want that warm weather climate territory. Would you take PR?

I guessed you missed the memo.PR is American territory.

Answered... unincorporated territory!

How's that crow taste?

PWNED!

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Answered... unincorporated territory!

How's that crow taste?

PWNED!

You do realise that before you are allowed to renounce your Lower Slobovian status and take American citizenship you have a heck of a lot of learning ahead of you- 'smack...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You do realise that before you are allowed to renounce your Lower Slobovian status and take American citizenship you have a heck of a lot of learning ahead of you- 'smack...

I accept your admission of defeat.

Maybe next time noob!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

!
Almost like a State and there are differences.

Grand Turks Cacaos wants to be part of Canada. You can keep PR.

So lets review...
She missed that is it a US territory and not USA territory so no, they aren't Americans, they are Puerto Ricans.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Petos, I entrust this bizarre child to your tender care... regradless of whatever planet he is posting from...

Yes... the insults... asking for back-up from other members.

Just as I thought.

Well... maybe next time you'll do better.

She missed that is it a US territory and not USA territory so no, they aren't Americans, they are Puerto Ricans.

Damn dude... she was looking to you for help.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I thought we were talking about the states but I'll answer this.

Puerto Rico is not even a state! Why should the U.S provide full employment and feed those that aren't working?

a better question is WHY anyone would want to give you and your ADD any credence ....

Now, quit playuing hooky. Give your Momma back her laptop..

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
a better question is WHY anyone would want to give you and your ADD any credence ....

Now, quit playuing hooky. Give your Momma back her laptop..

I am stunned. You post a disaster like this and try to portray a higher level of intelligence than me?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Damn dude... she was looking to you for help.
It's a very complex situation that baffles many. It's was a drunk Alaskan who got pissed off that I called him an American that schooled me on the crap ages ago that there are two entitles at play that sound similar that are run from the same place.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
It's a very complex situation that baffles many. It's was a drunk Alaskan who got pissed off that I called him an American that schooled me on the crap ages ago that there are two entitles at play that sound similar that are run from the same place.

You are probably seeing a 'swing back' to state powers from Creeping federalism. The federal 'nanny state' hase caused some real concerns in the Pueto Rican economy - loss of the preferred access for the textile industry, for example..

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Because then all of PR will be completely on welfare.

Percentage of population on welfare:

Puerto Rico 1.394 per 100 people

Indiana 2.241 per 100 people

Arizona 1.875 per 100 people

Tennessee 3.026 per 100 people

Alaska 2.4 per 100 people

Total Recipients > Welfare Caseloads statistics - states compared - StateMaster

Let's assume the $2 billion annually in food stamps is statistically correct. $2 billion divided by 1.37 million people = $1460.00 dollars per person per year or $121.00 per month. This is considerably less than many other states:

Average Monthly Food Stamp Benefits Per Person | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

examples:

Alaska $170.07

Hawaii $213.65

You may want to throw in a couple of other territories which also do not pay income taxes.

Now consider the fact that businesses in the Fortune 500 deduct expenses for employee meals and business lunches/dinners which are subsidized by taxpayers. That should get your goat, too but, as is usual for this forum, I haven't seen a word of protest about these welfare giveaways.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Let's assume the $2 billion annually in food stamps is statistically correct. $2 billion divided by 1.37 million people = $1460.00 dollars per person per year or $121.00 per month. This is considerably less than many other states:

Average Monthly Food Stamp Benefits Per Person | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

examples:

Alaska $170.07

Hawaii $213.65

You may want to throw in a couple of other territories which also do not pay income taxes.

Now consider the fact that businesses in the Fortune 500 deduct expenses for employee meals and business lunches/dinners which are subsidized by taxpayers. That should get your goat, too but, as is usual for this forum, I haven't seen a word of protest about these welfare giveaways.

Good point.
Puerto Rico actually voted 61% for statehood in the 2012 referendum. They are the potential IT & tech sector resource for the Caribbean.

The commonwealth idea was great in bygone decades- but it is n 'outmoded' idea now.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

examples:

Alaska $170.07

Hawaii $213.65

Good job.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Demand that this deduction be outlawed and follow it up with an increase in corporate taxes... That'll make 'em think twice as they are doubling their workforce in India and scaling back operations in America.