Things that make Canada great

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No no no.... that doesn't match what Eagle says, thus, isn't true. Just like the people that lived in Canada and marched down and burned the Whitehouse to the ground (and it burned burned burned... and we're the ones what did it!)... those weren't actually Canadians. Nope.

Well I am sorry to say that the facts just aren't in your favor. The "Militia Myth" was invented by Canadians after the War of 1812. After British Regulars repulsed the US incursions into England's NA Provinces Canadians took sole credit along with credit for burning the Presidential Mansion. Little is said by Canadians that the same force that burned Washington was defeated later on when they tried to do the same thing to Baltimore. They only want to wrongly and falsely take credit for the sacking of Washington. Indeed every British force in the new United States was repulsed...little of that is talked about amongst Candians.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Until we were attacked. How many years did Canada sit their troops out of the fight even though they were supposedly "IN" the war? Canadian units weren't used unti 1942 at Dieppe. The first Canadian listed as killed in action was killed in Hong Kong after Pearl Harbor.

Sooooo...what were you saying? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We were walking the walk.

Interesting how you feel the need to bash Canada in a thread dedicated to listing a few of the things that make Canada a great country. Maybe you could concentrait on a nice little thread about all those wonderful things American. heh heh

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As was explained to you before - and obviously couldn't get through the cotton balls - Canadians, being British subjects, were listed as British in British-led actions - but only until morale problems forced England to give in and admit they weren't great conquering heroes. See ... Canada knows these things called humility and tact. As evidenced by your braggart ways, pity you (collectively) can't learn it. Then maybe Uncle Sam wouldn't represent one of the most despised nations in history. Yeah ... we know. Americans are the greatest:roll: Woo hoo for the red white and blue. Now go back to your bridge.

Woof!

Well you see Wolf...having an original post like this is all fun and games. Canadians like you chuckle and say...

"Yeah! Yeah! Go get em'!"

But when folks like you are called out on it you get all defensive. Oh well. The truth hurts. Facts just aren't on your side. Canadian troops were just not ready.

You call me a braggart when the OP is full of just that with quite a bit of it slanted at the US. I am sure you read it. Does the author say anything about...

England? No
France? No
Germany? No

You can dish it out but you can't take it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well I am sorry to say that the facts just aren't in your favor. The "Militia Myth" was invented by Canadians after the War of 1812. After British Regulars repulsed the US incursions into England's NA Provinces Canadians took sole credit along with credit for burning the Presidential Mansion. Little is said by Canadians that the same force that burned Washington was defeated later on when they tried to do the same thing to Baltimore. They only want to wrongly and falsely take credit for the sacking of Washington. Indeed every British force in the new United States was repulsed...little of that is talked about amongst Candians.

lol... we've been over this before dear Eagle. You know my response is laughter. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
We were walking the walk.

Interesting how you feel the need to bash Canada in a thread dedicated to listing a few of the things that make Canada a great country. Maybe you could concentrait on a nice little thread about all those wonderful things American. heh heh

If there were so many of the items claiming they were better than the US there would not even be an issue.

In fact I would have added my own... Neve Campbell. Now she makes Canada great in my mind.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Well you see Wolf...having an original post like this is all fun and games. Canadians like you chuckle and say...

"Yeah! Yeah! Go get em'!"

A psychic marine? You don't have a clue what I'm thinking and don't grant yourself that luxury.

But when folks like you are called out on it you get all defensive. Oh well. The truth hurts. Facts just aren't on your side. Canadian troops were just not ready.

Fact is, only Germany and Japan were ready. We all did what we could with what we had - including converting Lockheed airliners into the Hudson bombers in which the FIRST CANADIAN died over a Norweigan fjord in September 1939 (listed as a British subject BTW) United States saw money to be made so it stood on the sidelines and scapled tickets.

You call me a braggart when the OP is full of just that with quite a bit of it slanted at the US. I am sure you read it. Does the author say anything about...

England? No
France? No
Germany? No

No ... because it's about Canadian accomplishments

You can dish it out but you can't take it.

Woof!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Besides ... it's FIVE YEAR OLD post. Geez, you mocked someone about a year old incident where a Chinese submarine fooled the United Stares Navy. Apparently you're five times bigger the troll....

Woof!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
England? No
France? No
Germany? No

This post came from CKA. Generally speaking, the English, German, and French don't show up on Canadian forums to tell people how much better their country is than Canada. Thus, very rarely will a Canadian debate forum slant their list of prides to compare themselves to countries which aren't participating, and haven't taken the time to annoy them. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Besides ... it's FIVE YEAR OLD post. Geez, you mocked someone about a year old incident where a Chinese submarine fooled the United Stares Navy. Apparently you're five times bigger the troll....

Woof!

It was recently brought to the top of the list by another member. I don't really look at the OP dates.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
If there were so many of the items claiming they were better than the US there would not even be an issue.

In fact I would have added my own... Neve Campbell. Now she makes Canada great in my mind.

In comparison they are better than the US. Deal with it. As for Neve Campbell, it's clear who does your thinking for you.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If it is a list of Canadian accomplishments why was there a need to CONSTANTLY bring up the US? Why can't some Candians be proud of being Canadian without trying to bring the US down. It is like a disease that some of you folks have.

When I brought up the other countries I asked why the person didn't make any comparisons of Canada to countries other than the US.

For example...

Canada has a lower crime rate...unlike Britain.

If we scalped tickets for WWII then you bought them and watched.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If it is a list of Canadian accomplishments why was there a need to CONSTANTLY bring up the US? Why can't some Candians be proud of being Canadian without trying to bring the US down. It is like a disease that some of you folks have.

When I brought up the other countries I asked why the person didn't make any comparisons of Canada to countries other than the US.

Some Canadians can. I personally don't like those comparisons. But I've seen the pattern of behavior, from yourself as well btw (who only pops in to argue US vs Can, seemingly ignoring convo on any other issue), of constantly comparing the two countries, that it becomes clear why people would write these lists with such a slant.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Pride in ones country is not a crime, but it can become so, and quite often does. I think in this thread we see the dangers of nationalism realized in mundane discussion and maybe understand how that may be used to promote militarism, and then.

The 7th Beaver Legion

now recruiting in your high school
a few dumb people can make a difference
we must defeat Martian Terrorism
signing bonus for first 38 thousand applicants.
must not pass IQ test

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Some Canadians can. I personally don't like those comparisons. But I've seen the pattern of behavior, from yourself as well btw (who only pops in to argue US vs Can, seemingly ignoring convo on any other issue), of constantly comparing the two countries, that it becomes clear why people would write these lists with such a slant.

Well not always. I weigh in on other topics. However I think you would be hard pressed to find an original post of me coming out and just letting Canadians have it. I absolutlely will counter any shots at the good ol' USA. I admit that. And everyone can agree there are a lot.

Awhile back there was a thread asking the membership things that are good about the USA. I did not add anything that said...

"The US has this...(Canada doesn't)"

That is just not my style. But when someone makes an anti-US comment I dish it right back. Then all heck breaks loose.

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
Eaglesmack, "Actually a lot of these things that make Canada great are false but as long as it makes Canadians feel good about themselves I guess that is OK."

Most of them are true, and we can feel ok if we want to.

Eaglesmack, "Plus the author compares Canada to the US a lot which says quite a bit about his obsession with the United States."

All Canadians are 'obsessed' with the United States, our biggest customer, our biggest supplier, our strongest ally, our neighbour, our foremost benchmark in a million things, our top source of entertainment, our favourite villain, our cultural family and our flesh and blood. And most Canadians feel good about it, they just take feeling good for granted.

Were we given a choice by God as to where to park this monstrous country, seeing it nowhere on the earth - the 49th parallel, smack dab in the big mouth of the United states made by Alaska and the lower 49, would be the unhesitating choice of every thinking Canadian.

Were Americans given the same choice, they'd likely choose their existing location too. Most people feel affection for their country whether it is warranted or not. Somewhat surprisingly, Castro and Hitler proved that they cared nothing for their own nations and people, Hitler when he judged the German people unworthy of his delusions and wished destruction upon them, and Castro when he desired to wage a nuclear war with the USA and was stopped by Kruschev.

Eaglesmack, why would you wish to claim that our pride is false when it is not? Surely we are roughly equally conceited, prideful as the world, but we have the good reason of providence, the justification of luck, and a great debt to the dead.

Reactions: Hazmart

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
The "shots" the U.S. gets are deserved.It constantly meddles in the affairs of other countries.

It is the worlds Bully

Always trying to impose it's bible belt set of morals on everybody else.

It's irresponsible about it's debt.

Your Idea of Democracy is questionable - you only have two parties.