Are Crows fair game?

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
I know that farmers have had it in for crows since before the first scarecrow was invented, but I wonder what they do about them nowadays.

We have crows, you see, and these crows have developed a bad habit of congregating in the big tree outside our bedroom window at 5:AM every day and their "cawing" wakes us up. Of course, once our alarm clock goes off at 6:30 they flock off...but we're losing that last 90 minutes of essential REM sleep every day.

What do I have to do, build a scarecrow and hang it in the tree or is there a simpler, permanent way of dealing with them apart from cutting down the tree?

I'm sure the local farmers would rather I shoot them...

Muz

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
You do realize that some of them are sorcerors. I'm serious man....
You have a larger than average piece of land , do you not.
I would ask Twila for something to build on the opposite side of your house to attract them.....

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
BINGO!!! just thought of this and it's right up yer alley....fix a few real bright white strobe lights to the tree facing skyward and shielded from your view...put em on timers.....unless some of them are ex acid freaks come back as crows to learn about flying that should do er.....
doc a fied or what?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Bright and flashy objects such as pie tins and Mylar party balloons, which cost little, can be very effective at repelling crows Just hang them in the tree in your yard.

Crows are exceedingly smart. You've got to figure out how to "teach" them correctly to avoid that tree. just be careful you don't teach them inadvertently the "wrong" lesson.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I'll support the farmer in what ever solution he comes up with even if it means shooting the pesky critters as long as food gets I my table I really don't care.

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
I think I figured out my own solution...

I've always had a bird feeder (very nice "condo" style unit on a high pole) and usually in the summer we don't fill it up since there's plenty of food to be had. We'd prefer they start eating more bugs.

Well, with the heat and shortage of bugs the small birds have flocked off. Turns out it was them keeping the crows away since they're really territorial. I refilled the feeder on Friday and they''ve been back in full force and guess what? NO crows to be found.

These little birds attack the crows like Spitfires on a Heinkel bomber and drive them away.

Bag of bird seed - $8.99
Ability to sleep in the morning - Priceless!

Muz

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Crows,I hate'em. Feathered rats,flying balls of vermin,sitting in thier murders mocking us good folks.Kill them all I say. Just give me a time and place and I'll send over a few buddies to take care of your problem,free of charge. They enjoy thier work and are experts in the field.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Crows,I hate'em. Feathered rats,flying balls of vermin,sitting in thier murders mocking us good folks.Kill them all I say. Just give me a time and place and I'll send over a few buddies to take care of your problem,free of charge. They enjoy thier work and are experts in the field.
Stands in from of Wally here with a can of agent orange..."You Vill now call up Zee bird friend zen tell im that vee no longer need his services...SCHNELL!!!
"

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Humans - are they fair game? I think they should be....murderous, smelly, stupid creatures...do away with them...the bring nothing but destruction and death to the planet....

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Humans - are they fair game? I think they should be....murderous, smelly, stupid creatures...do away with them...the bring nothing but destruction and death to the planet....

but pulease leave me and Twila till we meet....and i would walk one hundred miles and i would walk one hundred more just to be the man that falls down at your door delelalalaldela dlelaldlealdlelald dlealdle delda ldealdel

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Everyone has a problem with crows....especially on garbage day...
I have found that shooting one and leaving it for a couple of days by your driveway will keep the crows out of your garbage for years.....they have a life expectancy of ten years and being highly intelligent they know better than to go where they can be shot.

They tear up the neighbour's garbage but leave mine alone:smile:

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Good idea,but shooting just one,you can do better.Shoot them all.Do not rest until the entire species is wiped from the face of earth and are roasting on a spit in Hell.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Leave the crows alone. The majority are smarter than your neighbours and better looking. And they'll likely out-IQ your kids. The fact crows are black probably suggests a latent racist element here as well. And for goodness sakes, if they're into your garbage, buy a lidded container. See, I told you they were smarter!

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Smarter than my neighbours, I'll concede but they are the ugliest birds around.

My garbage is in a sealed Glad bag in a heavy duty plastic garbage can in my garage.
We have way craftier varmints than crows to keep the garbage safe from.

We do live across the road from a farmer's field though.

I don't get the racism angle though...maybe sub-species-ism...

Muz

Leave the crows alone. The majority are smarter than your neighbours and better looking. And they'll likely out-IQ your kids. The fact crows are black probably suggests a latent racist element here as well. And for goodness sakes, if they're into your garbage, buy a lidded container. See, I told you they were smarter!

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Three more reasons why these flying rats should be plucked alive and boiled in oil. Crowsfeet,no woman wants them. Eating crow,literally or figuratively.very unpleasant. Crowquet,what a stupid game. Extinction is our only hope.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Worst than crows and a bit bigger are the ravens, who are a protected species......but they get the message when they see a dead crow....you can tell them from their hooked beak which his made specially for tearing up garbage bags:angryfire:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Evolution should be kind to the black czars. As the generations unfold and the years pile up like mountains, larger crows will likely evolve. It'll be a common sight then for them to be plucking kids from schoolyards. Nature abhors a vacuum and with such a plentiful food supply for the aspiring changeling, maybe the crow in the end will be our answer to overpopulation.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Yes,that is why we should take them out now. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your children and your grandchildren.Remember Hitchcock's "The Birds". Better to be safe than sorry. Perhaps a bounty on these avian assassins would speed up the process.