Are Crows fair game?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
No,the noisy nubian never-do wells must be destroyed. On behalf of the earth and future generations it must be done. We can always take photos and stuff a few of the fleabags to placate the enviroMENTALists.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Ah, Wally, we shall never settle this except over a game of cards. What do you say a night of poker and let the chips fall where they may...

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I'd love to ,but it is too dangerous to venture outside,those damn crows and maybe even flying monkeys. Also I am not too fond of lions,tigers or bears.But worst of all is fire,just listening to the Springsteen song loosens my bowels. I think I will just stay put and wile away the hours,conferring with the flowers,consulting with the rain. Cheers.

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I still vote for lowering the human population. They're much more bothersome and a whole lot uglier then even your mangiest of crows...

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Twila, more than one meeting of scientists has mulled such a possibility. Don't trust the white-robed priests of tubes and intrigue. Even when they might actually do the world the greatest of services.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
No,the noisy nubian never-do wells must be destroyed. On behalf of the earth and future generations it must be done. We can always take photos and stuff a few of the fleabags to placate the enviroMENTALists.

Consider that all things have something to do with something else. Also consider that 99.9% or so of all the species that have ever lived are now extinct. What happened when the last of the Mamoths kicked the bucket?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
On the Mounted Animal Nature Trail
You'll be sure to see
All Mother Nature's favorite pets
All sitting rigidly.
They're never hungry anymore
They're last meal left them stuffed.
Don't worry they won't walk away
If you you try to pet their fluff.

Where the dog goes... (silence)
And the cow goes... (silence)
And the bear goes... (silence)
And the pig goes... (silence)
And the crow goes... KWAH!
I guess it was alive.
You can see all this
At the Mounted Animal Nature Trail.

The Mounted Animal Nature Trail
It's good for mom and dad.
Where else can grandma and the kids
See the Silence of the Lambs.
Don't have to walk a hundred miles
Or climb the steepest hill.
And the only fiercesome sound you'll hear
Is the ringing of the till.

And the crow goes... KWAH!
I guess it was alive.
You can see all this

The only things that bite are the bugs.
Unlike any themepark the mice won't say hello.
And if your having problems with your own family pet.
You can bring him in and add him to the trail.
"Everybody!"

And the crow goes...
"Don't cry for me argentina, the truth is I never left you"
Where's its metal bra.
You can see all this

(by The Arrogant Worms)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Just having a little fun. Crows are magnificent birds.
I'm going to have to get to know you a bit better....I thought you were serious about the doing away with.....

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol
I think I figured out my own solution...

I've always had a bird feeder (very nice "condo" style unit on a high pole) and usually in the summer we don't fill it up since there's plenty of food to be had. We'd prefer they start eating more bugs.

Well, with the heat and shortage of bugs the small birds have flocked off. Turns out it was them keeping the crows away since they're really territorial. I refilled the feeder on Friday and they''ve been back in full force and guess what? NO crows to be found.

These little birds attack the crows like Spitfires on a Heinkel bomber and drive them away.

Bag of bird seed - $8.99
Ability to sleep in the morning - Priceless!

Muz
Well done ! I'am glad you found a sensible solution to your problem without killing anything .

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I know that farmers have had it in for crows since before the first scarecrow was invented, but I wonder what they do about them nowadays.

We have crows, you see, and these crows have developed a bad habit of congregating in the big tree outside our bedroom window at 5:AM every day and their "cawing" wakes us up. Of course, once our alarm clock goes off at 6:30 they flock off...but we're losing that last 90 minutes of essential REM sleep every day.

What do I have to do, build a scarecrow and hang it in the tree or is there a simpler, permanent way of dealing with them apart from cutting down the tree?

I'm sure the local farmers would rather I shoot them...

Muz

You should try living up north with the ravens. They're bigger, cleverer, and make a whole VARIETY of noises

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Now that I've filled the feeder we've also had the Blue Jays return.

Ah blue jays...the second noisest bird. Do they have a song that doesn't sound like a dying elk?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Crows make fine targets, basically a varmit, they are on the year-round license here in NB. I used to shoot them on sight, but am a little less apt to waste ammo on them now.

They are smart.........got so they would not approach my camp, but would roost in a tree about 120 yards off, across the river, well out of shotgun range. Then I bought a lovely, accurate .223 Rem rifle. 55 grain Super Explosive Hornady bullets at 3200 feet per second make'em blow up real good!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Ah blue jays...the second noisest bird. Do they have a song that doesn't sound like a dying elk?

I had a visit from a bluejay yesterday. Fantastically beautiful creature. They are rather noisey, though, eh? I never realised they're named after their noise