Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
sanch said:
Code:
As for us shooters, we'll keeping ignoring what laws we can, and obeying those we absolutely must to carry on our sport. [quote]

Colpy Canada is not Dodge City.  These threats to ignore or break laws if your "sport" is interrupted really undermines the argument that you should be trusted with guns.  [/quote]

Funny. I didn't hear me threaten any violence, I didn't express a desire to harm anyone. Or so I thought.

So Sanch, I guess you don't like the entire concept of civil disobedience?

Or is it only for anti-poverty activists that aren't getting enough of my tax dollars for sitting around with their thumb stuck up their arse?

Or is it only for native peoples, who haven't yet been handed the whole damn country on a silver platter?

Or is it only for guys with seven inch spiked purple mohawks and enough steel in their face to rebuild the Bonaventure? (for Juan, who is probably the only soul here who knows what the Bonaventure was)

Or is it only for folks you agree with?

God forbid a working, middle aged, conservative white guy start talking civil disobedience! Call out the SWAT team!

BTW, doesn't anyone want to talk about the opening post I put so much work into? (sniff) :(

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Yes,well done. You can never win over the anti-gun folks with facts. Don't try.it will only want to make you grab those guns.Also being a very paranoid (government.police,not layton in the closet) type of fellow, I would be very wary of telling anyone of what I owned. Someone right now thinks that you should not have that right to own what gives you pleasure.My last post on your previous gun control thread sums up my feelings. The post below that puts it into perspective even better.Take care,your original post says a lot to anyone that is listening.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I don't think the pro gun control people believe guns walk around and shoot people by themselves. What they do believe is that guns make killing physically easier, and allows a person to kill many people at once from a distance.

Personally I cannot argue with that assessment. A gun was invented not for the purpose of hunting, but for the purpose of killing in war, more efficiently than something else, say a spear or dagger.

However someone who is hell bent on committing a crime is not going to abide by any gun control laws. He can do the same job with a cross-bow, safely from a distance. So why aren't there any cross-bow control laws?

It's simple, governments don't want an armed population. That is the very basis of the argument, everything else is a meaningless debate.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Colpy

I see you are getting it in the shorts again for your knowledge and ability to share that knowledge with people who would rather put down your
common sense regarding firearms of all kinds than to understand what you are saying.

Experts and teachers know their topic from direct hands on use and learning and study over time.

That is where you are ahead - and your opinion has much more weight than those who deride you for that knowledge.

You are not advocating violence of any kind - but common sense and to learn the dangers, proper use and care and intellligent dialogue of firearms...

Because someone "doesn't like the concept of guns" does not an expert make.

Only fools disengage from the learning process by allowing their limited opinion on a subject to prevent them from examining the other side.

I personally hate guns for what they represent - not because of why they are in our world but for the few who have misused them for personal advantage or anger.

My opinion cannot rest on the minority of violent people in our world, and I must respect the opinion of those who train in the use of weaponry for protection and cessation of aggression against the majority.

Until someone can guarantee peace and no violence in our future, I have to state only an expert such as yourself can offer the best path to society's wish to "control" firearms.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Colpy don't fret there are some people that will always rally around screaming "Innocents are dying', it's a tried and true rally song.

Holy Moly Juan is the stats for the US true? Wow!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Colpy said:
sanch said:
Code:
As for us shooters, we'll keeping ignoring what laws we can, and obeying those we absolutely must to carry on our sport. [quote]

Colpy Canada is not Dodge City.  These threats to ignore or break laws if your "sport" is interrupted really undermines the argument that you should be trusted with guns.  [/quote]

Funny. I didn't hear me threaten any violence, I didn't express a desire to harm anyone. Or so I thought.

So Sanch, I guess you don't like the entire concept of civil disobedience?

Or is it only for anti-poverty activists that aren't getting enough of my tax dollars for sitting around with their thumb stuck up their arse?

Or is it only for native peoples, who haven't yet been handed the whole damn country on a silver platter?

Or is it only for guys with seven inch spiked purple mohawks and enough steel in their face to rebuild the Bonaventure? (for Juan, who is probably the only soul here who knows what the Bonaventure was)

Or is it only for folks you agree with?

God forbid a working, middle aged, conservative white guy start talking civil disobedience! Call out the SWAT team!

BTW, doesn't anyone want to talk about the opening post I put so much work into? (sniff) :(

Colpy

Often in these matters, it depends who's ox has been gored. I think we need some kind of gun control and I really think we have to try and weed out the likes of Mr. Gill.

I have no problem with recreational shooting as long as it is safe. I am an ex-hunter and I have shot deer, moose, and bear. I do not hunt any more but I probably wouldn't turn down a venison roast were one offered.

No gun control is not the answer. The anual firearm death toll in the U.S. is over thirty thousand while Canada's is a few hundred. The numbers cannot be satisfied by just stating the population difference.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
handguns

I for one think the long gun registry is a complete waste of time...most long guns are for hunting, protection of livestock etc... do we need billions of dollars to be spent so that we know hunters and farmer have guns..duh you could have given me the money and I could have told you that!!

One the other hand, I am happy that we don't have too many handguns in general, most of us don't need them since most of us don't have them. However when I hear politians talk about tough gun laws I roll my eyes. Since most handguns are illegal in Canada then what does tougher laws have to do with it? If you can go into a major city and buy a 100 dollar U.S. gun for 400 bucks there's going to be a market..laws or no laws.

What we need to do is put people in jail for a long time if they commit offences with a gun..period!! If he had a gun while robbing a store he intended to use it.

turubawebmaster

Oct 18, 2006
Ontario
I think mostly for the hunting rifles it's useless... I think it's more common for handguns and automatic rifles to be registered... Canada has a lot of hunters and why should we all pay for an FAC just to get a rifle... You know how much it costs for an FAC... It's completely bull....

turubawebmaster

Oct 18, 2006
Ontario
I think those committing offences involving firearms should face bigger sentences instead of wasting our time and money for this useless registry... There is also a lot of gun smuggling that involves our criminals so I don't think the registry really does good

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
So we shoud only have gun contol in urban areas but predominately rural areas you can own whatever gun you choose to?
So only rich people should own guns but poor immigrants should not be allowed to own guns?
Is you life in so much danger you feel you need to own a handgun?
Do you feel there is a chance that our goverment may turn into a totalitarian system and that we need to bear arms to ensure a free democracy?
Have you tried to get a motorcycle license and seen the hops you have to jump through (actually pylons you gotta drive around)?
Bureaucratic bumbling and cost overuns are a fact of life in Canadian politics. Is the idea of a gun registry so abhorrent to you?
Picking and choosing what states to quote for stats is, In my opinion, incorrect. A simple look at the US and divide by 10 (population ratios) works for me. The 3 provinces and state you picked do not have large urban areas like Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. 3 cities have a huge proportion of the Canadian population. St. Johns NB is a peaceful backwater local in comparison. Not all of us live in idealic small towns. I grew up in a small town that had not had a murder in 50 years.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
You also posted in a "conservative" lounge where conservatives can discuss issues important to them. A true debate would be conducted in a more open forum. Try discuss gun control in a "liberal" forum and see the response you get. I bet you would be figuratively taken out and burnt at the stake. It's like debating Christianity in a christian forum. Who has home field advantage?

turubawebmaster

Oct 18, 2006
Ontario
It's mostly the hunting rifles I'm talkin about that the liberals tried wasting money on.... Toronto still has shootings anyway and there are lots of gun smuggling activity on the US border especially Vancouver-Seattle and Detroit-Windsor... In any way we still have a problem with gun crime. I think most of the people using rifles is for game use... Maybe it's different in urban areas but I've grown up in Northern Ontario where we like outdoors and we never see gun crime.... It's very seldom to have that problem in communities up here.

turubawebmaster

Oct 18, 2006
Ontario
One problem I think has been going on is unfair gas prices for different regions... People around Thunder Bay have been paying more for gas the last couple months and it's very shocking because almost everyone around there rely on driving... There is something not right about this... I see around Toronto they have pollution from the high density of cars and they have the choice of publice transportation... Why can't they pay just as much as people up north? If you really want to help decrease a demand on fuel I think companies should ship everything by rail rather than by truck.... Trains consume only half the fuel all the trucks on the road consume.... Not only our government, but the US government as well doesn't do anything when we complain about fuel demand.... I think the americans are especially the ones to use more trains than trucks.... The best way is spreading the message to everyone out there on how we can come out with a good solution

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
One problem I think has been going on is unfair gas prices for different regions... People around Thunder Bay have been paying more for gas the last couple months and it's very shocking because almost everyone around there rely on driving... There is something not right about this... I see around Toronto they have pollution from the high density of cars and they have the choice of publice transportation... Why can't they pay just as much as people up north? If you really want to help decrease a demand on fuel I think companies should ship everything by rail rather than by truck.... Trains consume only half the fuel all the trucks on the road consume.... Not only our government, but the US government as well doesn't do anything when we complain about fuel demand.... I think the americans are especially the ones to use more trains than trucks.... The best way is spreading the message to everyone out there on how we can come out with a good solution

And this applies to gun control how?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Colpy Thank You for the well thought out and researched post. (I have the same problem with the space thing)

This subject is a pet peeve of mine. I lived in Texas 12 years. Ive made it no secret Im a certified nutcase. The part you left out was that if you are on psych meds you are not allowed a gun ANY gun. We had 15 sorted guns in MY name. Gun laws are a joke.

Everyone in my house was taught gun safety by me and the ex, my youngest shoots better than I do and Im not bad. In my opinion rifles for hunting should be given without trouble. But who needs a pistol now a days? You can protect your house with a rifle. The only people that need pistols are professionals to catch the criminals.......thats my opinion

turubawebmaster

Oct 18, 2006
Ontario
So we shoud only have gun contol in urban areas but predominately rural areas you can own whatever gun you choose to?
So only rich people should own guns but poor immigrants should not be allowed to own guns?
Is you life in so much danger you feel you need to own a handgun?
Do you feel there is a chance that our goverment may turn into a totalitarian system and that we need to bear arms to ensure a free democracy?
Have you tried to get a motorcycle license and seen the hops you have to jump through (actually pylons you gotta drive around)?
Bureaucratic bumbling and cost overuns are a fact of life in Canadian politics. Is the idea of a gun registry so abhorrent to you?
Picking and choosing what states to quote for stats is, In my opinion, incorrect. A simple look at the US and divide by 10 (population ratios) works for me. The 3 provinces and state you picked do not have large urban areas like Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. 3 cities have a huge proportion of the Canadian population. St. Johns NB is a peaceful backwater local in comparison. Not all of us live in idealic small towns. I grew up in a small town that had not had a murder in 50 years.

Im not talking about poor immigrants, I'm talking about the people up north and im talking mostly about those who like outdoors... Hunting has been part of a northern tradition for years... I think the idiotic gun laws have been an insult to the north.... A friend of mine that has a gun collection was especially upset about this... In my opinion I think Canadians deserve that freedom

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I thought this topic had been closed.

One thing that may not have been considered is the fact that police in the USA are the ones who often lobby for gun control legislation. They especially picked up on their lobbying when semi-automatic guns hit the market and put them at great risk.