Tyre Nichols

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
At the end of the day you're always going to be able to manipulate body cams a bit - and they were yelling 'give me your hands!" after they already had them to create the audio impression they were hitting him to subdue him.
Body cams are great but they only do so much. Far better than nothing tho.
Yep. We've seen actual examples of cops screaming "Stop resisting!" at a corpse. A newer line is "He grabbed my gun!" automatic permission to shoot.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Yep. We've seen actual examples of cops screaming "Stop resisting!" at a corpse. A newer line is "He grabbed my gun!" automatic permission to shoot.

I think one of the 'big' things to come out of this is - the officers were ALL black. There can't be claims of "racism" as an excuse to keep the true issue from being talked about.

And that issue is police - ALL police - abuses of power.

Doesn't matter the race of the cop, too many have a sense of power and wilfully abuse that power against anyone they feel for whatever reason they want. It highlights the Police Reform mantra. The fear mongering of some groups that the idea was a total disbanning that everyone who suggested it wanted is, as usual, BS. Not everyone backing the issue of reform was for getting rid of the police, but re-adjusting the funds police get to other areas so the police aren't doing jobs they shouldn't be.

I heard a good point about this too: "The casualness they went from Zero to Murder..." that highlights another problem with policing. That in the US, there is little to NO real training, and little to NO background and mental checks into whether the officers are even WORTH being police or not.

So will this finally lead to said reforms, or will it be just another brush off by people because "The kid deserved it" somehow?

Reactions: Ron in Regina

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I think one of the 'big' things to come out of this is - the officers were ALL black. There can't be claims of "racism" as an excuse to keep the true issue from being talked about.
You would think that was true but this is not the first time for that and they absolutely do still claim racism as a factor in such cases. They just say the police officers might be black but they're taught to hate their own kind by the white-dominant system. This and a few similar ideas have been presented and accepted before, i doubt it will be different this time. It plays into the 'systemic' part of 'systemic racism'. As soon as they became part of the system, they became part of 'systemic ' racism.

Doesn't matter the race of the cop, too many have a sense of power and wilfully abuse that power against anyone they feel for whatever reason they want.
The argument will be that because of the systemic racism, they only "Want" to do it to black people.

I heard a good point about this too: "The casualness they went from Zero to Murder..." that highlights another problem with policing. That in the US, there is little to NO real training, and little to NO background and mental checks into whether the officers are even WORTH being police or not.
If true that's a very serious problem. But it's not the problem that will be targeted by those protesting this action. Systemic racism will be.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You would think that was true but this is not the first time for that and they absolutely do still claim racism as a factor in such cases. They just say the police officers might be black but they're taught to hate their own kind by the white-dominant system. This and a few similar ideas have been presented and accepted before, i doubt it will be different this time. It plays into the 'systemic' part of 'systemic racism'. As soon as they became part of the system, they became part of 'systemic ' racism.

The argument will be that because of the systemic racism, they only "Want" to do it to black people.

If true that's a very serious problem. But it's not the problem that will be targeted by those protesting this action. Systemic racism will be.
It's entirely possible for both to be problems.

Let us assume your apparent conviction that racism no longer exists is correct. When exactly did it die? 1865? 1955? 1964? 2008?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It's entirely possible for both to be problems.
Two things were not mentioned. Only one was. So what do you mean 'both'? The issue at hand was whether or not this would be seen as a racist act or a police problem. Serryah felt it won't be or can't be seen as racist. I would argue it will be seen as such. We can't both be right at the same time unless you think this is a case of Shrodinger's Cop :)
Let us assume your apparent conviction that racism no longer exists is correct. When exactly did it die? 1865? 1955? 1964? 2008?
Sorry - were you talking to me or serryah? She was the one who suggested it cannot be considered racism. I was the one who said it WILL be considered racism.

So when you say "my conviction' that raicsm "no longer exists".... well we both know i never said anything remotely close to that.

I can always tell when you want to make an argument but you know you don't have a good one. You tend to 'rearrange' the truth a bit till you can put one together :) But, please.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It's racism and a police problem.

Was that hard?
It was very easy - also not what we were discussing. I guess you can mention any two things at random and ask if THAT was hard :)

Further it was never a question of whether or not it was a policing issue. That went unchallenged. We can also say it was a terrible crime, so i guess three things can be true. And that it happened at night so four things can be true. But normally when you say 'both' things can be true you're referring to those things of which there's some question of whether or not it's true. And there was only one.

But hey, thanks for coming out :) Now - did you have a point to make about this that doesn't involve lying about what i claimed, or was that it?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Well after no riots really this weekend (yes, some trouble in Hollywood but overall, protests and the violence people feared didn't happen) hopefully the focus can STAY on police reform instead of "OMGBLM/ANTIFA/COMMIES R BAD!"

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Well after no riots really this weekend (yes, some trouble in Hollywood but overall, protests and the violence people feared didn't happen) hopefully the focus can STAY on police reform instead of "OMGBLM/ANTIFA/COMMIES R BAD!"
I don't know that the focus is on police reform to start with. There's been like one or two mentions and that's it. I see way more articles about it being racism than calling for police reform.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
How ‘bout “OMGBLM/ANTIFA/COMMIE COP’s” are bad & need reforming….???
I don't know that the focus is on police reform to start with. There's been like one or two mentions and that's it. I see way more articles about it being racism than calling for police reform.
Meh…Nichols suffered "extensive bleeding caused by a severe beating," according to preliminary results of an autopsy commissioned by attorneys for his family.

Around 4 a.m. ET, Wells said a doctor called to summon her to the hospital to see her son.

"The doctor proceeded to tell me that my son had went into cardiac arrest and that his kidneys were failing," she said. "This doesn't sound consistent to somebody being tased or pepper sprayed," as the police had told her.

"When my husband and I got to the hospital and I saw my son, he was already gone," Wells said. "They had beat him to a pulp."

Wells described the horrific injuries her son had when she saw him in the hospital.

"He had bruises all over him. His head was swollen like a watermelon. His neck was busting because of the swelling. They broke his neck. My son's nose look like a S," she said. "They actually just beat the crap out of him. And so when I saw that, I knew my son was gone, the end. Even if he did live, he would have been a vegetable."

So, wether the motivation was racial or ego or something else is irrelevant to the outcome of five armed & armoured officers beating the living shit out of one unarmed & unarmored dude. These would have been five officers that didn’t expect any consequences to their actions or this wouldn’t have happened, would it?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
So, wether the motivation was racial or ego or something else is irrelevant to the outcome of five armed & armoured officers beating the living shit out of one unarmed & unarmored dude. These would have been five officers that didn’t expect any consequences to their actions or this wouldn’t have happened, would it?
In a general sense probably (they could have just lost control in their bloodlust too) but that really doesn't help. They probably didn't think he'd die. But more importantly WHY did they think there would be no consequences. My bet is they thought they woudn't get caught, not that they would get caught and nobody would care. They seemed to be setting up for a 'resisting arrest' situation by talking like he was resisting even as they beat him.

So - what kind of reform would you put in to address that? I'm pretty sure they knew that beating someone to death was against the law. I'm pretty sure they knew faking evidence was bad. They obviously thought they could game the system.

In a way that does mean that it's important to know if this was racism or ego or what. You would need to know to try to make this preventable. Do we screen cops better for egos? Do we do better racism training or the like? Do we need to do something else? One might say 'do it all" but realistically you'd probably need to focus on one or another to make things happen in a timely fashion.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sure or, y'know, we could just take off and nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :)

This incident is pretty much what a militarized police force looks like, so i guess we already did that.
No it isn't, but you won't listen to what I have to say, so I'll bid you good evening, sir.

I enjoyed the period when we were communicating well, even when disagreeing. I hope we get back to that place sometime in the future.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
No it isn't, but you won't listen to what I have to say, so I'll bid you good evening, sir.
I listen to everything you have to say. If there's a problem, it would be on your end.
I enjoyed the period when we were communicating well, even when disagreeing. I hope we get back to that place sometime in the future.
That will be up to you. Civilized and intelligent commentary tends to get civilized and intelligent replies. If a little joke from a movie thrown in upsets you well, you might want to check your sensitivity settings.

And yes - this is precisely what a militarized police force looks like. The job of the police is to protect the peace of the people. The Job of the Military is to destroy the nations' enemies. When the military becomes the police, the people tend to become the nations enemies. Show me where this HASN'T happened.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
In a general sense probably (they could have just lost control in their bloodlust too)
If someone ‘just loses control in their bloodlust’ and doesn’t have the moral or ethical compass to realize that 5 on 1 is not right beyond simply subduing someone to prevent them from harming others, or harming themselves…is that who you want wearing a badge & carrying a gun?
…but that really doesn't help. They probably didn't think he'd die.
Irrelevant. Completely irrelevant.

But more importantly WHY did they think there would be no consequences. My bet is they thought they woudn't get caught, not that they would get caught and nobody would care.
My guess is they thought, “Who are they going to believe? Synchronize your watches & your stories….”
They seemed to be setting up for a 'resisting arrest' situation by talking like he was resisting even as they beat him.
Yep. Assuming this wasn’t their first dance.
So - what kind of reform would you put in to address that? I'm pretty sure they knew that beating someone to death was against the law. I'm pretty sure they knew faking evidence was bad. They obviously thought they could game the system.
Yep. Assuming this wasn’t their first dance.
In a way that does mean that it's important to know if this was racism or ego or what.
Racism or Ego or something else, it was an example of a poor screening in the hiring process. Should these five guys have been Law Enforcement Officers if they don’t respect the law themselves?
You would need to know to try to make this preventable. Do we screen cops better for egos? Do we do better racism training or the like? Do we need to do something else? One might say 'do it all" but realistically you'd probably need to focus on one or another to make things happen in a timely fashion.
Pick one or two to try here, pick one or two to try there, track the results, & use the results to implement changes across the board. Worse case is that it doesn’t improve things without making them worse.

Authorities released video footage Friday showing Tyre Nichols being beaten by five Memphis police officers who held the Black motorist down and repeatedly struck him with their fists, boots and batons as he screamed for his mother.
The video is filled with violent moments showing the officers, who are also Black, chasing and pummeling Nichols and leaving him on the pavement propped against a squad car as they fist-bump and celebrate their actions.

These ‘Officers’ should have been screened out before they became Officers. They beat this man to death, all 145lbs of him, five on one, like the heroes that they definitely were not.

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Any use of forced beyond neccesary is criminal and goes to each and every one of us. Police don't not have an exemption to that rule as they do not have any Rights beyond what is afforded to all of us. USA or Canada its the same. Rights and Duties are intertwined and an obligation They were "on Duty" meaning obligated to protect the Rights and safety of any and all individuals or fictional entities afforded Rights.

They didn't fullfill their Duty.