It's Climate Change I tell'ya!! IT'S CLIMATE CHANGE!!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
At reappliable appliances (I drove by it to and from going to work) they sell this ecological weird shit…. Which melts ice like a damn (!!!) and for the first couple years I use that it didn’t hurt my lawn, and then the same bag that I was buying for years, burnt the shit out of my lawn for last spring.

I think the Chinese counterfeited the ecological portion of the ice melt. I just know now that when I have to use it like today, I will shovel it towards the neighbours rocks instead of my lawn.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
No idea but it works like a damn!! Didn’t hurt my lawn for the first couple years either before it really really hurt it. I just know that if I use that stuff I shovelled to the south onto the neighbours rocks instead of my lawn now.

Stuff is weird (gimmicky Green Color) to go with its name, but you put that stuff on the pavement, and you could hear it working within the minute. Keeps Lisa’s feet under her. I’ll snap a picture of the bag at lunchtime.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Question for you unfortunates that live in cities.
I was visiting a buddy in Nanaimo just before xmas and they have a bylaw forcing homeowners to shovel the sidewalk in front of their houses. So buddy shovels the walk without dying(70 with a heart condition) and 20 minutes later the city snowplow comes along and deposits all the shit off the street onto the freshly shovelled sidewalk. Does he have to shovel the icy mess the city just deposited on the sidewalk, or does that job now belong to the city?
My position as a loyal union member is that shovelling the sidewalk for free is scab labour.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was visiting a buddy in Nanaimo just before xmas and they have a bylaw forcing homeowners to shovel the sidewalk in front of their houses. So buddy shovels the walk without dying(70 with a heart condition) and 20 minutes later the city snowplow comes along and deposits all the shit off the street onto the freshly shovelled sidewalk. Does he have to shovel the icy mess the city just deposited on the sidewalk, or does that job now belong to the city?
My position as a loyal union member is that shovelling the sidewalk for free is scab labour.
Always take a picture when you’re done! We all have cameras on our phones and they all have timestamps on the pictures.

No idea but it works like a damn!! Didn’t hurt my lawn for the first couple years either before it really really hurt it. I just know that if I use that stuff I shovelled to the south onto the neighbours rocks instead of my lawn now.

Stuff is weird (gimmicky Green Color) to go with its name, but you put that stuff on the pavement, and you could hear it working within the minute. Keeps Lisa’s feet under her. I’ll snap a picture of the bag at lunchtime.
It took a year, but I solved the mystery of the burnt lawn this spring. From the same place that I’ve been buying ice melt from for years, in the same weight of 20 kg bags, with almost the identical label, and a similar tint of green to the contents….
1672165455577.jpeg
This shit isn’t the other shit that’s pet & lawn safe…. But it came from the same place at the same price, etc…. This stuff will kill your lawn dead!!! The other stuff, did not harm it. Mystery solved. If you use it, shovel it towards your neighbors. 😁

This is the stuff that doesn’t destroy your lawn if it gets shoveled onto it:
1672165738567.jpeg
Oh well. Whoops. Life lesson.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It really depends on how the bylaw is written it's not the same everywhere. IF it says "homeowner must clear sidewalk within 24 hours of a snowfall", and he did clear the sidewalk, then he's in compliance. It doesn't say "within 24 hours of a jackass depositing it back" after all. But - it's very important that you keep a written log of the dates and times it was done or at least take a picture and email it to himself so he has a date and time stamp that way. It's critical to be able to say when you did it and that you did do it. You don't have to "prove" it (like beyond a reasonable doubt) but you do have to be able to say you do keep a record and this is what your records say happened.

Sometimes the bylaw MAY read along the lines of "Homeowners will keep their sidewalks clear of snow beginning 24 hours after the snowfall" or language to that effect. In such cases it may be read that the homeowner is responsible for snow no matter how it got there. But that is the less common way of wording in my experience.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Basically cover your butt the easiest way you can.
Basically. The number of slip and fall claims has gone up something like 200 percent in the last couple of years in the lower mainland alone. And remember - the bad guys often don't file right away. They legally have 2 years to file legal action and they'll wait till a month or so before that date comes up and file hoping you'll have forgotten whether or not you shoveled that day. I mean who remembers if they shoveled their walk on a specific day 2 years ago? So it's important to keep records if there's a bylaw requirement in place.

It's like that old joke - "I"m not a litigious person, but my lawyer is."

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Always take a picture when you’re done! We all have cameras on our phones and they all have timestamps on the pictures.

It took a year, but I solved the mystery of the burnt lawn this spring. From the same place that I’ve been buying ice melt from for years, in the same weight of 20 kg bags, with almost the identical label, and a similar tint of green to the contents….
View attachment 16868
This shit isn’t the other shit that’s pet & lawn safe…. But it came from the same place at the same price, etc…. This stuff will kill your lawn dead!!! The other stuff, did not harm it. Mystery solved. If you use it, shovel it towards your neighbors. 😁

View attachment 16869
A dead lawn requires less mowing.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

View attachment 16868

View attachment 16869
A dead lawn requires less mowing.
Well, we had a screaming wind and snow blow in the night along with freezing rain (ridiculous freezing rain), and while I was at work today, my girlfriend had a neighbourhood kid shovel our front sidewalk, and I can see the green streaks from that ice melt all over the snow on my lawn. Oh well… I will get ahead of it again by July.
1672273781047.jpeg
This is a window on the side of my truck in the middle of the lunch hour…

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well, we had a screaming wind and snow blow in the night along with freezing rain (ridiculous freezing rain), and while I was at work today, my girlfriend had a neighbourhood kid shovel our front sidewalk, and I can see the green streaks from that ice melt all over the snow on my lawn. Oh well… I will get ahead of it again by July.
View attachment 16880
I hate when that happens .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's probably just the chlorides and halite left over from processing potash which is high in calcium and magnesium that will melt remarkably well.

View attachment 16868

View attachment 16869

Description​

With its formula made of calcium and magnesium acetate, Landscaper's Choice fast-acting de-icing salt is one of the least corrosive on the market, plus it stays on the surface longer and is less harmful to vegetation, compared to standard de-icers. It is safe on exterior wood and concrete surfaces and causes little damage when in contact with leather and shoes. It is coated with a green indicator, giving you good visibility of the quantity applied, which avoids any waste.
  • Colored green for visual application and to avoid over application of the product
  • Melts snow and ice quickly with a long lasting residual melt time
  • Formulated with calcium magnesium acetate making it safer for vegetation and concrete when used as directed
  • Formulated to be less harmful to the environment when used as directed, requiring fewer applications and less product per application

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This stuff, happy lawn:
1672346679136.jpeg
But this stuff, burns the lawn:
1672346721664.jpeg
Now maybe it’s the industrial quantity that I put down….’cuz two replacement hips on my girl is enough…but this has been my personal first hand experience.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
View attachment 16880
You are paying too much carbon tax. Lighten up on that a bit and it won’t be near as cold.

Reactions: The_Foxer