It's Climate Change I tell'ya!! IT'S CLIMATE CHANGE!!

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Do you get much damage from the occasional hurricane that passes through? Or just windy and wet?

Seems most of them hit NS more than NB, but the Marsh is always windy since it's a funnel for the Bay of Fundy. We'll get high winds, likely lots of rain. Damage will be who knows.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Get used to it. I just had the most normal summer on record.
Have to admit, it was pretty good here too. Maybe a LITTLE dryer than normal or than you'd like to see but overall, just about perfect. Nice hot days but not TOO hot, nice and cool at night.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Thankfully we got the 'outside edge' of it.

Port-Aux-Basque is getting hit hard. Same with Cape Breton.

Last night was a bad night. Our fire guys had been going since about 3 am; they stopped at about 7 I think finally. I told the chief to go home and sleep, he said he'd slept only 2 or 3 hours today...

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Couple of shirt tail relatives at celebration of life in Vancouver today are from Nova Scotia were checking the news regularly this am to see how their places faired. Seems like both of them come out OK.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Couple of shirt tail relatives at celebration of life in Vancouver today are from Nova Scotia were checking the news regularly this am to see how their places faired. Seems like both of them come out OK.

They're lucky. A lot of places in NS are going to have a bad clean up. Cape Breton will be worse, and NFLD horrible. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
They're lucky. A lot of places in NS are going to have a bad clean up. Cape Breton will be worse, and NFLD horrible. :(
So is this a result of climate change or just a semi regular occerence during the season ?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
First one in recorded history. Going all the way back to 2020.

We have hurricanes/post tropicals occasionally, but this was not the norm. The way it ended up coming into the region wasn't normal either. The thought is though that storms this strong will become normal with a warmer jet stream mixing in with warmer air storms.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
We have hurricanes/post tropicals occasionally, but this was not the norm. The way it ended up coming into the region wasn't normal either. The thought is though that storms this strong will become normal with a warmer jet stream mixing in with warmer air storms.
We have had 100 mile an hr winds on Vancouver island the odd time as well, but nobody called them hurricanes. No idea why. But they do happen. I spent the night on the local ski hill during one in 2001. I was the only person up there that night. Didn’t know where the people that were supposed to show up in the morning were until mid afternoon.The only ones that come to mind that were called hurricane was around 1908- 1912. There were two a couple of years apart, but hit the North Island where there were few people.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't know comparisons but the Maritimes have been hit with several storms. Due to the way they classify them when they leave tropical waters, they usually don't have the moniker Hurricane when they hit (just likes Fiona) even though they have wind speeds greater than what classifies a tropical storm as a Hurricane.

As for comparisons, this has been a very quiet year on the atlantic storm front. Until about 2 weeks ago we had had only 2 or 3 named storms. It's picked up a bit but the latest storm is Ian.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Everywhere east of the Rockies from the Territories to the Gulf can and have been pounded by the effects of hurricanes. Shit, AB and SK were hit with remnants of an Asia typhoon 2 weeks ago.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
We have had 100 mile an hr winds on Vancouver island the odd time as well, but nobody called them hurricanes. No idea why. But they do happen. I spent the night on the local ski hill during one in 2001. I was the only person up there that night. Didn’t know where the people that were supposed to show up in the morning were until mid afternoon.The only ones that come to mind that were called hurricane was around 1908- 1912. There were two a couple of years apart, but hit the North Island where there were few people.
Hurricane Freda blew some shingles of our roof when I was young .