Canada’s population is booming – and we aren’t building nearly enough homes

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I’m seeing RVs (usually shitty old ancient decrepit travel trailers) in peoples backyards that people are obviously living in.

I never saw this three years ago, and I saw the odd one two years ago, and I saw several of them last year, and I’m assuming I’m going to see many more of them this year…..& that’s in Saskatchewan through the winter.

Can you imagine the power suck to heat an RV in Saskatchewan from fall until spring? Whomever is paying for these obviously isn’t paying for their own power bills….

Just the sheer amount of fires lately in my neighbourhood from squatters is more than a little bit disturbing, as is the increase in petty crimes. I evicted somebody (A couple) out of water of my neighbours garden sheds about two months ago because he tried and they just intimidated him. Dude tried it with me and now he’s gone and that shed is secured. I’m getting real tired of this though….

Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Cheap shots ? You have called me a liar , Dolphin boy , a child , and having an inferiority problem . And you take offence at pretzel . You are like a typical liberal always complaining about others while doing the same thing . Do you wear a blue suit and red tie ?
Well don't lie, don't fantasize at length about peeing on dolphins and quit with the inferiority behavior. (i don't remember you calling me a pretzel, but whatever).

However - none of that is unprovoked is it. You showed up when i related a story about a bird caught in fishing line claiming i didnt' know what i was talking about. Just out of the blue, wasn't even talking to you. And very quickly looked stupid when you had to backtrack on that. You've jumped in out of the blue to take shots at random since as well. When you do - i laugh and make fun of you. But it's you doing the instigating sparky, and then crying like a baby when it doesn't go your way.

So if there's a liberal here it would be you - attacks others and then cries like a bitch when anyone DARES fight back. I'll remind you - i wasn't even the one complaining here, that was you. I just pointed out that you're the one who starts it so ... but apperently even that simple truth was enough to trigger you.

I tend to reply in kind. Act like a decent person, expect decent responses. Act like a prepubescent liberal dolphin-pee'er (and i will go to my grave laughing and wondering why the hell you made such a big deal about that) and expect to get treated appropriately.

Now go put your big boy pants on, dry your eyes and in the future remember: If you disagree with me that's fine, make your case in a respectful and reasoned way and expect to be treated respectfully with a reasoned reply. And we can hash it out. But act like a prick, and be prepared to be treated appropriately and no more whining and crying about it.

I'm fine either way, i enjoy reasoned conversation and i like making fun of jackasses, so i'll leave the choice to you.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I’m seeing RVs (usually shitty old ancient decrepit travel trailers) in peoples backyards that people are obviously living in.

I never saw this three years ago, and I saw the odd one two years ago, and I saw several of them last year, and I’m assuming I’m going to see many more of them this year…..& that’s in Saskatchewan through the winter.

Can you imagine the power suck to heat an RV in Saskatchewan from fall until spring? Whomever is paying for these obviously isn’t paying for their own power bills….

Just the sheer amount of fires lately in my neighbourhood from squatters is more than a little bit disturbing, as is the increase in petty crimes. I evicted somebody (A couple) out of water of my neighbours garden sheds about two months ago because he tried and they just intimidated him. Do try it with me and now he’s gone and that shed is secured. I’m getting real tired of this though….
Yeah - same thing down here although it started a little sooner. But it's become quite common. I was talking to a young girl i know the other day who's having to move becuase her landlords sold her unit and she's actively considering buying a tiny home and just putting it on her parents property for now. (i have one on mine so she was asking questions).

Of course - in this neck of the woods it's a little more sane to try to heat something in the winter, but still - i hear all over northern bc similar stories and in kamloops and kelowna where the winters are nothing to sneeze at.

But i guess at the end of the day when people can't find anywhere to live, or even a one bedroom apartment costs about 2000 dollars a month before utilities, then a 400 dollar a month heating bill starts to look pretty attractive.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Of course - in this neck of the woods it's a little more sane to try to heat something in the winter, but still - i hear all over northern bc similar stories and in kamloops and kelowna where the winters are nothing to sneeze at.
Regina tends to get some winter weather too. We’ve got some kids in Vernon (so in the neighbourhood of Kelowna) and after a few years out there & they never again want to handle a Saskatchewan Winter again…& I look and compare the weather where I sit to the weather where they sit and it’s not the same. I hear you though.

(First to tell me that, “yeah but it’s a dry cold“ should earn a virtual Rochambeau!)

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
But i guess at the end of the day when people can't find anywhere to live, or even a one bedroom apartment costs about 2000 dollars a month before utilities, then a 400 dollar a month heating bill starts to look pretty attractive.
I have no firsthand knowledge but I’m going to assume that trying to heat a decrepit unwinterized ancient travel trailer in Saskatchewan in winter it’s going to cost significantly more than $400 a month, on top of someone else’s electrical bill.

I really don’t know what the answer is but I’m getting tired of the fires from squatters along with the petty crimes, & The people that surround me (neighbours) having to deal with meth heads. I have a different presence so they tend to leave when I’m involved….but I sleep a portion of the day and I work another portion of the day so my time to deal with these freaks is limited.

The bitch of it is that I can count five different fires within 200’ of my house within the last year or so, & two of those within the last two weeks, from junkie squatters.

• Sad

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Regina tends to get some winter weather too. We’ve got some kids in Vernon (so in the neighbourhood of Kelowna) and after a few years out there & they never again want to handle a Saskatchewan Winter again…& I look and compare the weather where I sit to the weather where they sit and it’s not the same. I hear you though.

(First to tell me that, “yeah but it’s a dry cold“ should earn a virtual Rochambeau!)
Oh i wasn't even comparing it as being the same - i've spent a few winters in manitoba when it's bad and i know it's pretty horrible. Just noting that while where i am is nothing like that, even in places which are a lot more closer to the prairies are seeing hordes of this kind of stuff.

But what else are these people to do? Honestly my neighbor is a retired mechanic and vet who just doesn't have much money. He gets his rent cheap for reasons but he's worried that someday his landlord will sell the place and he can't afford to live anywhere else. We've talked about him getting a motorhome or the like in such a case and where he might park it - rents are just too much for him to consider these days. (i honestly don't think his landlord will sell any time soon, but you never know).

And for sure there will be fires and problems and people will get mad that these people are in their neighbourhoods and there'll be fights and such but honestly - that's just the beginning.

And we haven't even talked about the number of landlords leaving the market recently - being forced not to raise rents during covid, not being allowed to evict those who aren't paying, having rate increases capped at far below inflation - it's too much for many smaller landlords who suddenly got turned into social welfare programs when they never signed up for that.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I have no firsthand knowledge but I’m going to assume that trying to heat a decrepit unwinterized ancient travel trailer in Saskatchewan in winter it’s going to cost significantly more than $400 a month, on top of someone else’s electrical bill.

I really don’t know what the answer is but I’m getting tired of the fires from squatters along with the petty crimes, & The people that surround me (neighbours) having to deal with meth heads. I have a different presence so they tend to leave when I’m involved….but I sleep a portion of the day and I work another portion of the day so my time to deal with these freaks is limited.

The bitch of it is that I can count five different fires within 200’ of my house within the last year or so, & two of those within the last two weeks, from junkie squatters.
Well that's the problem - they look for 'innovative' ways to heat and it leads to these problems.

The cost depends a little on HOW they heat of course and what they do to create extra insulation. And often that leads to modifications that aren't entirely safe.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well that's the problem - they look for 'innovative' ways to heat and it leads to these problems.

The cost depends a little on HOW they heat of course and what they do to create extra insulation. And often that leads to modifications that aren't entirely safe.
I agree, & thus the five fires (2 in garages & 3 in “empty” houses…& two of those in the same house about a week apart) within 200’ of our home in the last year. We haven’t had one of these happen in three day now though. Getting cold at nights.
1663719660275.jpeg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I agree, & thus the five fires (2 in garages & 3 in “empty” houses…& two of those in the same house about a week apart) within 200’ of our home in the last year. We haven’t had one of these happen in three day now though. Getting cold at nights.
View attachment 15794
Induced attrition and gentrification. Give them firemeth and a fentaynl blankets and they drop like flies.

Are you ready for 18 S.Asians in 1 monster house on that lot paying the same civic taxes you do?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Induced attrition and gentrification. Give them firemeth and a fentaynl blankets and they drop like flies.

Are you ready for 18 S.Asians in 1 monster house on that lot paying the same civic taxes you do?
I doubt it'll be restricted to SA's for long, they're already talking about how houses are becoming "generational", where the kids can't afford to leave so they stay and wind up having their own kids and take over when the parents pass and so on and so on.

May be the norm for everyone at this rate.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Would they mow their lawn? Would they give two shits? Would they shovel their sidewalks? Would they be good neighbours? Take pride in ownership? If so, I’m game.

The Vietnamese neighbour brings Gibsons to our deck, & the Chinese neighbours are doing home renovations right now (We set them up with tools from our supply) and are dope smokers but don’t drink (on our deck). We are managing just fine with them!!

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
We have about 16 of them next door. It is 17 acres so they are not too visible. The person that owns the place is in the firewood business, so he gets some of them to split wood for rent. Nothing much criminal in the region happens that someone in his family doesn’t at least know about. We tolerate it because overall it is safer to have them closer to services than being out in the bush somewhere. Nothing has ever gone missing in the immediate area. The one miscrent that showed up on a camera was from out of town. Like having the Angles for neighbours.

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I doubt it'll be restricted to SA's for long, they're already talking about how houses are becoming "generational", where the kids can't afford to leave so they stay and wind up having their own kids and take over when the parents pass and so on and so on.

May be the norm for everyone at this rate.
Or they go Soviet style and next thing you know your 3 Bdrm has 2 couples from Lativa taking up 2.

Why did the last census need to know how many toilets and rooms are in my hoose?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Would they mow their lawn? Would they give to shits? Would they shovel their sidewalks? Would they be good neighbours? Take pride in ownership? If so, I’m game.

The Vietnamese neighbour brings Gibsons to our deck, & the Chinese neighbours are doing home renovations right now (We set them up with tools from our supply) and are dope smokers but don’t drink (on our deck). We are managing just fine with them!!
With the kid named Gu? Not a kid anymore. Hed be 30.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Would they mow their lawn? Would they give to shits? Would they shovel their sidewalks? Would they be good neighbours? Take pride in ownership? If so, I’m game.

No, they dont mow lawns, the kids do dope, party and thiev like white kids back in the 70s and you can kiss street parking goodbye.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Or they go Soviet style and next thing you know your 3 Bdrm has 2 couples from Lativa taking up 2.

Why did the last census need to know how many toilets and rooms are in my hoose?
Why would you give them an honest answer?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
No, they dont mow lawns, the kids do dope, party and thiev like white kids back in the 70s and you can kiss street parking goodbye.
I’ve already kissed the street parking goodbye. Three couples (so six people) moved into the upper portion of the Up/Down Duplex next door….& they have six vehicles….on a 25’ wide lot. It’ll be interesting at -45°C….

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well don't lie, don't fantasize at length about peeing on dolphins and quit with the inferiority behavior. (i don't remember you calling me a pretzel, but whatever).

However - none of that is unprovoked is it. You showed up when i related a story about a bird caught in fishing line claiming i didnt' know what i was talking about. Just out of the blue, wasn't even talking to you. And very quickly looked stupid when you had to backtrack on that. You've jumped in out of the blue to take shots at random since as well. When you do - i laugh and make fun of you. But it's you doing the instigating sparky, and then crying like a baby when it doesn't go your way.

So if there's a liberal here it would be you - attacks others and then cries like a bitch when anyone DARES fight back. I'll remind you - i wasn't even the one complaining here, that was you. I just pointed out that you're the one who starts it so ... but apperently even that simple truth was enough to trigger you.

I tend to reply in kind. Act like a decent person, expect decent responses. Act like a prepubescent liberal dolphin-pee'er (and i will go to my grave laughing and wondering why the hell you made such a big deal about that) and expect to get treated appropriately.

Now go put your big boy pants on, dry your eyes and in the future remember: If you disagree with me that's fine, make your case in a respectful and reasoned way and expect to be treated respectfully with a reasoned reply. And we can hash it out. But act like a prick, and be prepared to be treated appropriately and no more whining and crying about it.

I'm fine either way, i enjoy reasoned conversation and i like making fun of jackasses, so i'll leave the choice to you.
wow you waste all that effort . I got through the first sentence and see your comprehension level is non existent . I never once suggested cormorants can‘t get tangled in line . You started a fight when one wasn’t even there . I am sure your father was a great fisher person though .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

So are you saying I am lying with my story of a False Killer Whale using our boat as a sonar screen ? Why would I lie about an incredible interaction like that ?