Canada’s population is booming – and we aren’t building nearly enough homes

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Well as the videos showed they still need staff. There were still people involved in the process. it's not like they just turn the machines on and walk away.

So while it might technically be possible to work 24/7 that's not what actually happens.

And it wouldn't matter. Regardless of whether it happened during the day or the night, it still takes x number of hours to build the components, x number of hours to pack it and ship it, and that time has to be added to the time on site to assemble it. Whether you're putting a nail in offsite or on, the time it takes to put the nail in is part of the process.
No, it is not really linear construction. Many of these operations are taking place at the s@me time. SIP panels come pre wired, ready to set in place. Some places they are building the roof on the ground and lifting it into place complete. Now, some of this really only works well on flat, open ground and starter boxes and lots of them. The more complicated the roof line, the slower the build, even using panels. You can get rafters pre cut from the truss factory and install them in a day with 4 people. There are two real savings areas with modular builds, safety and space.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
No, it is not really linear construction. Many of these operations are taking place at the s@me time. SIP panels come pre wired, ready to set in place. Some places they are building the roof on the ground and lifting it into place complete. Now, some of this really only works well on flat, open ground and starter boxes and lots of them. The more complicated the roof line, the slower the build, even using panels. You can get rafters pre cut from the truss factory and install them in a day with 4 people. There are two real savings areas with modular builds, safety and space.
Has the ring of truth. The other 'time' savings i've seen is where you're doing a major project especially a high rise or the like and they pre fab the floor plans. Not because they can't do them on site but because the work can be done during the very long process involved with building the building shell itself. that allows for a LOT of lead time and warning so it just kind of speeds things up. But i don't know that it saves any money per se.

But it's always been the case that components are build outside the building - i mean it's not like they manufacture their own elevators or escalators or the like

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Has the ring of truth. The other 'time' savings i've seen is where you're doing a major project especially a high rise or the like and they pre fab the floor plans. Not because they can't do them on site but because the work can be done during the very long process involved with building the building shell itself. that allows for a LOT of lead time and warning so it just kind of speeds things up. But i don't know that it saves any money per se.

But it's always been the case that components are build outside the building - i mean it's not like they manufacture their own elevators or escalators or the like
It does in that an assembly line is always faster than one off. There is also less chance of improper layout. And less stoppages for weather. Even concrete can be sped up. Again cookie cutter designs is what makes prefab work. It will never really work for high end homes.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Umm - 90 days is not 2 days, as you claimed. And you claimed a 4 plex in 90 days, not a house.

LOL - failed again i see :)

Well at least you've stopped pretending you can build a home in 2 days :) ROFLMAO!! :)

But as we've already discussed - the person is talking about assembly using prefab parts - which is fine, but he's not includnig the time needed to make those parts. So - yeah. Not 90 days.
Can not , can so . Can not , can so . Nananananaaa

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well i don't particularly have a problem with where immigrants are from, and i do think immigration is a net benefit for Canada when done properly but we can't bring in more people than we can house,

They're talking about 13 million people more total population in 19 years. That would require about 6.5 million new homes minimum to keep up. At least.

Currently we build about 250k a year and that's not net. So we're scheduled to build maybe 4.8 million homes roughly. And a lot of those are small one bedroom places.

That is another reason to ignore you .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I know everything about what i talk about. When i don't know everything i ask questions or shut up :) You should try that :)
Why I only speak of that which I know . That is why you don’t see me posting on each and every thread like some of the smartest ( in their mind ) posters . Are you one of those ?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
No people who speak out of both sides of their mouth are not worth the time of day .
Why I only speak of that which I know . That is why you don’t see me posting on each and every thread like some of the smartest ( in their mind ) posters . Are you one of those ?
Awww muffin - first off we know you don't speak on 'what you know' and if you feel you are then perhaps the problem is you don't know much. And i don't generally post on 'each and every thread' and half the time it's to make a joke.

Sorry you're feeling inferior but surely that's a "You" problem, not a 'me' problem.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
No people who speak out of both sides of their mouth are not worth the time of day .
Ohhhh you're not THAT bad :) You just get confused.

As for me one thing is pretty clear, i tend to stick to one argument. I don't flip flop back and forth. So there's no 'both sides' of my mouth going on.

I get you sometimes feel inadequate but c'mon - step it up.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Circling back to the first page in this thread, the “Urban Campers” thing…. I have never seen it this bad before.

It’s bad. Not only junkies and squatters in any empty building they can get into (houses, garages, business, etc…), but people living in backyards in old RV’s (especially if they can run power from somebody who is utilities are paid for). It’s crazy & in the last two years it’s invaded our neighborhood (it wasn’t here or at least it wasn’t blatant before then).

Something has to give. Until recently, just having a couple of pitbulls was enough to keep people out of your yard… but not recently. Yes it’s drug fuelled but still….we started locking our gate in the last week & never had to do that before.

How can we throw another 400,000 people on top of this each year?

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Awww muffin - first off we know you don't speak on 'what you know' and if you feel you are then perhaps the problem is you don't know much. And i don't generally post on 'each and every thread' and half the time it's to make a joke.

Sorry you're feeling inferior but surely that's a "You" problem, not a 'me' problem.
No problems in my life at present . That could change at any time mind you . As for the inferior jab , you know where you can stick your arm chair psychoanalysis crap .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Circling back to the first page in this thread, the “Urban Campers” thing…. I have never seen it this bad before.

It’s bad. Not only junkies and squatters in any empty building they can get into (houses, garages, business, etc…), but people living in backyards in old RV’s (especially if they can run power from somebody who is utilities are paid for). It’s crazy & in the last two years it’s invaded our neighborhood (it wasn’t here or at least it wasn’t blatant before then).

Something has to give. Until recently, just having a couple of pitbulls was enough to keep people out of your yard… but not recently. Yes it’s drug fuelled but still….we started locking our gate in the last week & never had to do that before.

We have mini RV parks popping up on industrial streets happening throughout the lower mainland . Most of it seems to be fuelled by high rents rather than drugs the homeless squats and tent cities are a different story .

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Blame residential schools.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

My wife has being paying more attention this than I have, partly because she is a dirt pimp and partly because she really likes the Tiny House movement. She has even built a few. The biggest problem around BC seems to be municipal zoning an ALR. The municipal one is easy to understand. Many people bought where they are because of what zoning promised them. Also the proposed increased density never seems to be in areas of upscale houses. But tiny home parks can be built reasonably inexpensive if building codes were flexible.
ALR land is controlled by an unelected government body that basically dicktates everything that can be done on farm land. They said no additional housing units and many people lost a place to live.
the upshot of all this is that governments created the problem, and letting the same people that created the problems fix it guarantees it will get worse.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
No problems in my life at present . That could change at any time mind you . As for the inferior jab , you know where you can stick your arm chair psychoanalysis crap .
You're the one who keeps showing up to take cheap shots at me Dolphin boy :) So more observation than analysis :) Maybe work on that.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

It's not just in your area - many areas in bc are reporting it as a massive problem, with rv's and campers that have clearly been modified for permanent living in ways that aren't safe - like the installation of woodstoves and such, and of course there's the "tent cities" that pop up in the parks. There's even youtube channels about how to live in a van or motor home in the city successfully.

And you can't walk the streets of vancouver without tripping on a homeless person in many areas.

But that's just the beginning, as homes become more unaffordable for even middle class kids with decent jobs and immigrants who can't stay at mom's home till they're 40, there will be a backlash of some sort that will be very negative.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You're the one who keeps showing up to take cheap shots at me Dolphin boy :) So more observation than analysis :) Maybe work on that.
Cheap shots ? You have called me a liar , Dolphin boy , a child , and having an inferiority problem . And you take offence at pretzel . You are like a typical liberal always complaining about others while doing the same thing . Do you wear a blue suit and red tie ?