Canada’s population is booming – and we aren’t building nearly enough homes

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I quoted what you posted but it doesnt say that anywhere? Okay.

How does Habitat for Humanity build a house over a weekend?

Witchcraft?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I quoted what you posted but it doesnt say that anywhere? Okay.
Yeah - i never said 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000 sqft.. You just made that up. That website has home plans starting at 325 sq fit.

So - we're at that point where you're just lying to try to look less silly. I never said that. The website never said that's what they were referring to. You're just making it up and claiming i said it. Which i did not. Anyone can see that.

If you have to lie to make your point - you don't have a very good point. And that pretty much ends it.
How does Habitat for Humanity build a house over a weekend?

Witchcraft?
They don't.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah - i never said 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000 sqft.. You just made that up. That website has home plans starting at 325 sq fit.

So - we're at that point where you're just lying to try to look less silly. I never said that. The website never said that's what they were referring to. You're just making it up and claiming i said it. Which i did not. Anyone can see that.

If you have to lie to make your point - you don't have a very good point. And that pretty much ends it.

They don't.
Yes they fucking do.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Yes they fucking do.
Sigh. No, they don't.

Look - i know this is hard to hear. But sometimes things we see on TV aren't 100 percent accurate. I realize this may be a shock, but that's the way it is.

Your own gut should be telling you there's problems with that idea. I mean - if it really were possible for a group of volunteers to actually build houses, do all the plumbing, all the finishing work, all the wiring and such and be done in 2 days, then why would developers with trained crews and good machinery take months to do the same thing? Think about it carefully.

If you've been getting your info from tv and youtube adverts, i can certainly understand why you've become so misinformed. But - there you go.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sorry buddy, not TV but if you're feeling ambitious I'm sure you can find it being done on YouTube...

As for 90 days

CAN YOU BUILD A QUALITY HOME IN 90 DAYS?​

November 28, 2012 | Michael Luckado

A recent question from a reader was…Can you build a quality home in 90 days? One of the contractors they were interviewing to help build their dream home said they could build a home from scratch in three months. Is that even possible? Won’t you be sacrificing quality if construction proceeds that fast? These are great questions that everyone building a new home should ask. The answer is, yes, you can build a quality home in 90 days with today’s advanced techniques and products. It’s not the norm and it takes some good planning, but it can be done. Let’s take a look at some of the things that can really shorten the time to build a new home from the ground up.

Manufactured Products
Back in the old days, everything was put together at the construction site when building a house. Meaning, the whole structure was created from raw materials to create a home. On new home building sites today, many of the products come ready to go right out of the box. Here are some examples of items that are built in a factory and come out to the job site ready to go.
  • cabinets
  • trim details (i.e. mantles, beams, cornice, corbels…etc.)
  • fireplaces and surrounds
  • windows
  • shower and tub surrounds

Preassembled Components

Another way we have decreased the time to build a home is with preassembled components. Have you watched the roof framing go up on a new home lately? Roof trusses are pre-built in a factory prior to coming out to the job site. This allows the rough carpenter to use a crane to set the trusses in about a day. With the old beam and rafter setup, the roof framing could take over a week to put together. Not only are trusses faster, but you also get a great quality product that has been engineered for the specific home.

Stairs are another new home component that’s now put together off site. It takes time to create a solid, furniture quality set of stairs that can withstand the pounding of our feet day after day. New methods and tools allow workers to assemble custom stairs that can be delivered and set into place in just a few hours. These same companies can typically supply the custom railings that are premade into sections to speed up the installation time.

Another great example of preassembled products in new homes that speed up build times are pre-hung doors. Both interior and exterior doors come out to your job site secured into the jambs with casing already applied to one side. This allows trim carpenters at the job site to set the door into the rough opening, shim, plumb and secure it into place in a matter of minutes. The casing for the other side of the door is even premade into a hoop to just nail to the other side of the door saving valuable time. For the average home in the U.S., all interior doors and trim can be installed in a day or less when using pre-hung doors.

One other way to shave up to a week off of your new home’s build time is to use wall panels. Wall panels are just framed sections of wall that are build off site, delivered and set into place. The walls come with the studs, plates and exterior sheathing applied. Your rough carpenter uses a fork lift to set the panels in place and then secures them into place.

There are even some mechanical trades that preassemble products in their shop prior to bringing them out the jobsite. HVAC contractors for example will assemble fittings and pipe to speed up the actual installation in your new home. The same goes for plumbers. By assembling some of the pipe indoors in a controlled environment, you get a better quality product and the time at the job site goes down.

Newer, Quicker Processes

We’ve mentioned how manufactured products and preassembled components can speed up the home building process. But we haven’t discussed any of the newer processes that can save time when building. One example of a process that helps build a quality home in less time is a poured concrete wall.

Using poured concrete foundation walls can save you several days when building a new home with a basement. Typically with a poured wall the forms are set the first day, poured on day two, and stripped on day three assuming good warm weather. This can save you up to a week over the old block and mortar foundation wall. You can save even more time by going with a prebuilt foundation wall that is shipped to the job site and set into place.

So, can you really build a quality home in 90 days? In some cases, you actually get a better home when it’s built faster. Consider the amount of rain that a new home can be exposed to during building. The sooner your new home gets a roof, the less water it will be exposed to. Of course, the overall quality of the home will be determined by the subcontractors and the daily quality checks performed. But in general, a home built in three months is just as good, if not better, as the one that takes six months.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Sorry buddy, not TV but if you're feeling ambitious I'm sure you can find it being done on YouTube...

As for 90 days

CAN YOU BUILD A QUALITY HOME IN 90 DAYS?​

November 28, 2012 | Michael Luckado

A recent question from a reader was…Can you build a quality home in 90 days? One of the contractors they were interviewing to help build their dream home said they could build a home from scratch in three months. Is that even possible? Won’t you be sacrificing quality if construction proceeds that fast? These are great questions that everyone building a new home should ask. The answer is, yes, you can build a quality home in 90 days with today’s advanced techniques and products. It’s not the norm and it takes some good planning, but it can be done. Let’s take a look at some of the things that can really shorten the time to build a new home from the ground up.

Manufactured Products
Back in the old days, everything was put together at the construction site when building a house. Meaning, the whole structure was created from raw materials to create a home. On new home building sites today, many of the products come ready to go right out of the box. Here are some examples of items that are built in a factory and come out to the job site ready to go.
  • cabinets
  • trim details (i.e. mantles, beams, cornice, corbels…etc.)
  • fireplaces and surrounds
  • windows
  • shower and tub surrounds

Preassembled Components

Another way we have decreased the time to build a home is with preassembled components. Have you watched the roof framing go up on a new home lately? Roof trusses are pre-built in a factory prior to coming out to the job site. This allows the rough carpenter to use a crane to set the trusses in about a day. With the old beam and rafter setup, the roof framing could take over a week to put together. Not only are trusses faster, but you also get a great quality product that has been engineered for the specific home.

Stairs are another new home component that’s now put together off site. It takes time to create a solid, furniture quality set of stairs that can withstand the pounding of our feet day after day. New methods and tools allow workers to assemble custom stairs that can be delivered and set into place in just a few hours. These same companies can typically supply the custom railings that are premade into sections to speed up the installation time.

Another great example of preassembled products in new homes that speed up build times are pre-hung doors. Both interior and exterior doors come out to your job site secured into the jambs with casing already applied to one side. This allows trim carpenters at the job site to set the door into the rough opening, shim, plumb and secure it into place in a matter of minutes. The casing for the other side of the door is even premade into a hoop to just nail to the other side of the door saving valuable time. For the average home in the U.S., all interior doors and trim can be installed in a day or less when using pre-hung doors.

One other way to shave up to a week off of your new home’s build time is to use wall panels. Wall panels are just framed sections of wall that are build off site, delivered and set into place. The walls come with the studs, plates and exterior sheathing applied. Your rough carpenter uses a fork lift to set the panels in place and then secures them into place.

There are even some mechanical trades that preassemble products in their shop prior to bringing them out the jobsite. HVAC contractors for example will assemble fittings and pipe to speed up the actual installation in your new home. The same goes for plumbers. By assembling some of the pipe indoors in a controlled environment, you get a better quality product and the time at the job site goes down.

Newer, Quicker Processes

We’ve mentioned how manufactured products and preassembled components can speed up the home building process. But we haven’t discussed any of the newer processes that can save time when building. One example of a process that helps build a quality home in less time is a poured concrete wall.

Using poured concrete foundation walls can save you several days when building a new home with a basement. Typically with a poured wall the forms are set the first day, poured on day two, and stripped on day three assuming good warm weather. This can save you up to a week over the old block and mortar foundation wall. You can save even more time by going with a prebuilt foundation wall that is shipped to the job site and set into place.

So, can you really build a quality home in 90 days? In some cases, you actually get a better home when it’s built faster. Consider the amount of rain that a new home can be exposed to during building. The sooner your new home gets a roof, the less water it will be exposed to. Of course, the overall quality of the home will be determined by the subcontractors and the daily quality checks performed. But in general, a home built in three months is just as good, if not better, as the one that takes six months.
Umm - 90 days is not 2 days, as you claimed. And you claimed a 4 plex in 90 days, not a house.

LOL - failed again i see :)

Well at least you've stopped pretending you can build a home in 2 days :) ROFLMAO!! :)

But as we've already discussed - the person is talking about assembly using prefab parts - which is fine, but he's not includnig the time needed to make those parts. So - yeah. Not 90 days.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Sigh - "Building crews are framing four houses in three days"

Framing. Not building a house in 3 days. So you just proved that they can't build a house in 3 days, the best they can do is get the framing done - and for a very small house.

Then you need the roof, the insulation, the wiring, the plumbing, the electrical panels, the bathroom tiles and all the fixtures, the wall outlets, the paint, the exterior and the cladding, etc etc.

ROFLMAO - How do you not know that?

Man - every time you turn around you show you really have no idea how this works.

Well i guess that's proof - even they can't build a house in a weekend as you said. They can't even get the framing done in that time. They say in a week they'll have something that 'looks like a house", but isn't yet.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Well this is why construction workers aren't developers.

If they're building pre-forms off site, that reduces the amount of time on site for construction BUT it doesn't actually radically change the overall build time. Some of it is just taking place at another location. Those forms and such all have to be built BEFORE they are shipped to that location and inevitably they have to be built to plan. So just because YOU don't see it on site doesn't mean it isn't happening. Whether the framing happens on site or off it's still part of the time cycle.

Further - the wood framing is easily the shortest time component when it comes to the build. The wiring, the finishing, the plumbing, etc etc etc all consume huge amounts of time.

I'm actually QUITE knowledgeable about the latest in this field. Pre constructing components does save some time, mostly because you don't have weather issues in the same way. And there ARE some companies that are basically creating entire housing 'kits' where it's like a lego house and you just put it all together at the end and all the work is done already. However - while i do believe that will be the eventual future of homebuilding so far it hasn't saved massive time or money in practice. And the bigger the project (like a quad) the more you lose in efficiency with that.

I mean we've had modular and pre-built homes forever But you can't just drop one on a property and pretend all the work that went into building it before it got there didn't happen.

Sorry, you're just wrong here. That kind of thing has some promise but no, you still can't build a home to code from scratch and expect it to be a decent build in 90 days under normal circumstances when you take into account the total build time.
Back in the 80s when I was building houses, we could do a complete house in 90 days. Permitting generally too about a week for a conventional house.

Reactions: petros

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Off site construction time is fuck all. A machine can build a wall before two framers put their pouches on. Like I said, your out of you're element.

You don't have to pay machines.
ANd, they work 24/7 if needed.Nice thing about prefab there are no noise restrictions on work time, and no worries about lighting.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
ANd, they work 24/7 if needed.Nice thing about prefab there are no noise restrictions on work time, and no worries about lighting.
Exactly. Nothing to trip over, no hauling 2x6s 3 at a time from a lift at the street, no need to take up floor space no worries of building headers, no worry about blocking, always square, plumb up easy, sheeting and insulation is done.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Back in the 80s when I was building houses, we could do a complete house in 90 days. Permitting generally too about a week for a conventional house.
I have no doubt - but here in 2022 with codes and such being very different it wouldn't be quite so easy. hell - just the permits is months. Just the permits to get the plumbing redone in an apartment building is several weeks if the contractor and engineer are good. But taking the permits out of the equation, even the build time is worse.

However - we're talking about a 4 plex, not a house, in 90 days. He was saying a house in 2 days. Now - even today i could see someone putting together a smaller house in 90 days if they were motivated and everything went right and all the stuff showed up when it was supposed to and the workers all showed up and the weather was perfect etc. But a 4 plex? Like I said, it MIGHT be possible under extraordinary circumstances but generally no.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Well as the videos showed they still need staff. There were still people involved in the process. it's not like they just turn the machines on and walk away.

So while it might technically be possible to work 24/7 that's not what actually happens.

And it wouldn't matter. Regardless of whether it happened during the day or the night, it still takes x number of hours to build the components, x number of hours to pack it and ship it, and that time has to be added to the time on site to assemble it. Whether you're putting a nail in offsite or on, the time it takes to put the nail in is part of the process.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
ICF buildings go up up damn fast. The prefab stuff we did for I Work Cheap on 3rd off Wakesia as example was a crew of six doing 36 units a floor in 2 days with 1 day of back framing with plumbers and sparkles right behind setting up for Monday on Friday.

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well as the videos showed they still need staff. There were still people involved in the process. it's not like they just turn the machines on and walk away.

So while it might technically be possible to work 24/7 that's not what actually happens.

And it wouldn't matter. Regardless of whether it happened during the day or the night, it still takes x number of hours to build the components, x number of hours to pack it and ship it, and that time has to be added to the time on site to assemble it. Whether you're putting a nail in offsite or on, the time it takes to put the nail in is part of the process.
The company I linked to runs two shifts. Nailing is done by machine. All humans do is load coils and forklift in lifts of lumber and sheeting. A machine even does the PL, insulation and vapour barrier.

You're out of your element.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The company I linked to runs two shifts. Nailing is done by machine. All humans do is load coils and forklift in lifts of lumber and sheeting. A machine even does the PL, insulation and vapour barrier.
Soooo - not 24 hours a day. And still humans required. Soooo - i was right again

Well thanks for confirming But - a shift is a shift. As i said whether the work is done during the day or night it makes no difference to how long it takes to get a set amount of work done as far as the project goes. If it takes x number of hours to build a wall it takes that whether the wall was made in the daytime or the night.

Now - it makes a BIG difference to the profitability of the company, which is great. Sure, SOME labour costs double and machine maintenance costs probably double but the intial costs of the machines doesn't change and the lease of the space doesn't change etc etc. So there's some real opportunity to make profit. Which is great. That means they can sell their product competitively and because it requires less overall labour they don't face the same effect from labour shortages. So yay, But - that doesn't change the fact it takes x hours to build y.

Here's the bottom line. If it were possible to build a house in 2 days as you suggest at a much reduced price... or quad plexes in 90 days at a discounted price, then developers would be doing that all day and all night. But - that's not what's actually happening. I watch hundreds and hundreds of units of townhomes and such getting built where i'm involved, and have watched developers and contractors build several homes and small business buildings in my area where i know the people and talk to them on occasion about their builds.

And they are not building houses in two days. Or quads (or even duplex structures) in 90.

These are some of the cheapest people in the world - and time is everything because they're trying to match up when they sell a 'future home' to someone and that person takes possession as closely as possible.

So - do all these businessmen just hate money? Do they just love throwing it away? That seems to be your argument - they COULD be doing it faster and cheaper, but chose not to. They COULD be building houses in 2 days - but for some reason take much longer. They COULD be putting up quads in 90 days but for some reason that just doesn't interest them. That's your argument?

Sorry but that's just not the case.

Prefabbing some elements can cut time and costs a little. Certainly with fixtures like cabinetry and such it can be big, but it's not like they were making their own toilets or the like onsite either :) And it's a little easier to ship cabinets. But over all the time it takes to actually build to code these days is not as short as you'd like to pretend. And it only takes a quick look at construction sites today to see that.

And we've seen more than enough proof from even your own sources that nobody is building houses from start to finish in 2 days. And they're not building quads in 90 days either except maybe under some very ideal conditions.

And that brings us back to the original issue. There is no where near enough homes in canada for our population and that situation is getting worse - AND currently the average time for a developer in most places to go from identifying a hunk of land to build on to turning things over to the owners is about 3 - 3.5 years and that doesnt' include deliberately slowing things down to address market concerns (a project may be delayed if the housing market is volitile, as we're seeing right now).

So - if the situation continues to worsen, and PP gets in in 3 years and magically day one manages to encourage developers to start building like crazy, as things are right now it would be 6 years or so before we even began to see the situation START to correct.

If he could cut that average time to 2 years, that would help but you're still talking half a decade.

And when you look at housing starts and expected population growth, that's going to be a very very serious problem. And habitat for humanity isn't going to be able to help much unfortunately.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No, you weren't right. You're out of your element.

Are these 400,000 coming completely useless or should I be learning Spanish and contracting them out in building industry?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
As for the direction things are heading...
Sure. Like i said some of what is being proposed or looked at is very promising.

The austrailians have a bricklaying robot they claim can build the frame of a house all by itself ON SITE. You just plunk it down, program in the details, and it starts laying bricks and keeps going, leaving spaces for electrics and plumbing. It can run all day and night and do pretty much everything itself.

Doesn't really help us because we don't use bricks like they do but still - it's basically a 3d printer for houses and that's pretty cool :)

There is a company in western Canada i was reading about that's basically prefabbing 'kits' where everything is built to spec and then the crews literally just have to tilt up the walls and connect everythning and you're good to go. They HOPE that with a little more development it'll make home building much cheaper and faster ... but so far that really isn't the case. Yet. Someday tho, that may well be our future.

But we're still a long ways away just yet.

So dealing with the real world today, we just can't build a normal house in 2 days.