Majority of Canadians have now caught COVID — so what does that mean for the future?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well the entire body of science and study says they did but sure. Not once. Ever! Why not.
What body of Science? Whip it out. CDC makes no claims of vaxxes halting infection or transmission. The only claims made are a reduction in severity. Is there something hidden?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
There are many studies that say the opposite but they don’t count in the entire body of science apparently .
No, there's not. There are ones that people misinterpret and fail to understand but pretty much all the science shows that the vaccines did reduce the severety of the illness. Sorry.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
But zero stopping infection or transmission.
There's a tonne (including one i already posted) showing that the vaccines were very effective in that regard against original and still fairly effective against delta.
Omicron - not so much.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I literally posted one. But - for your reading enjoyment...

They all say the same thing. Very effective against alpha transmission, less so but still effective against delta.

So your claim they did absolutely nothing ever when it comes to transmission is simply bogus.

Sooowwwweeeeee.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Actually both of your statements are true, even tho you meant one in sarcasm.

Not 'covid' really, but omicron is resistant to ALL immunities. There's scientific reasons for this, and it's pretty well documented. The vaccines which did a great job to prevent transmission with the original and a solid job of doing so against delta do nothing against omicron, and neither does natural immunity.

However - both do a great deal in reducing severity. And despite more people having "covid" than ever before by leaps and bounds - nobody's dying. Few are getting hospitalized. It's basically just another flu.

And the gov't is pissed off that they can't control people the way they were - AND that now that nobody cares about it anymore they're starting to look around at some of the OTHER problems we've got that the gov'ts have been ignoring for the last few years.
Unfortunately, the travel mandates continue....we're the only country that has them!

Reactions: The_Foxer

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You're fucked.

What evidence do we have that covid-19 vaccines prevent transmission?​

Most papers to date (notably, many are preprints and have yet to be peer reviewed) indicate vaccines are holding up against admission to hospital and mortality, says Linda Bauld, professor of public health at the University of Edinburgh, “but not so much against transmission.”
The first weekly covid-19 vaccine surveillance report for 20221 from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) was more positive than Bauld’s assessment—but didn’t say outright that covid-19 vaccines prevent transmission. “Several studies have provided evidence that vaccines are effective at preventing infection,” it states, “Uninfected people cannot transmit; therefore, the vaccines are also effective at preventing transmission.”
A study2 of covid-19 transmission within English households using data gathered in early 2021 found that even a single dose of a covid-19 vaccine reduced the likelihood of household transmission by 40-50%. This was supported by a study of household transmission among Scottish healthcare workers conducted between December 2020 and March 2021.3 Both studies analysed the impact of vaccination on transmission of the α variant of SARS-CoV-2, which was dominant at the time.
A subsequent study,4 conducted later in the course of the pandemic when the delta variant was dominant, showed vaccines had a less pronounced effect on denting onward transmission, but were still effective.

How could vaccines help reduce transmission?​

Vaccines aren’t preventing onward transmission by reducing the viral load—or amount of SARS-CoV-2—in your body. “Most studies show if you got an infection after vaccination, compared with someone who got an infection without a vaccine, you were pretty much shedding roughly the same amount of virus,” says Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia. One study,5 sponsored by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), found “no difference in infectious virus titer between groups” who had been vaccinated and had not.
Instead, it’s the principle that the UKHSA identified above: if you don’t get infected in the first place thanks to a vaccine, you can’t spread it. Once you’re infected, you still can—although what we know about the window when you’re most likely to transmit the virus to others has improved.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Unfortunately, the travel mandates continue....we're the only country that has them!
A lot of Caribbean countries have dropped their mandates .... for fully vaccinated travelers. I think the only restriction left for vaccinated travelers in Canada is that stupid ArriveCAN app.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You're fucked.

What evidence do we have that covid-19 vaccines prevent transmission?​

Most papers to date (notably, many are preprints and have yet to be peer reviewed) indicate vaccines are holding up against admission to hospital and mortality, says Linda Bauld, professor of public health at the University of Edinburgh, “but not so much against transmission.”
The first weekly covid-19 vaccine surveillance report for 20221 from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) was more positive than Bauld’s assessment—but didn’t say outright that covid-19 vaccines prevent transmission. “Several studies have provided evidence that vaccines are effective at preventing infection,” it states, “Uninfected people cannot transmit; therefore, the vaccines are also effective at preventing transmission.”
A study2 of covid-19 transmission within English households using data gathered in early 2021 found that even a single dose of a covid-19 vaccine reduced the likelihood of household transmission by 40-50%. This was supported by a study of household transmission among Scottish healthcare workers conducted between December 2020 and March 2021.3 Both studies analysed the impact of vaccination on transmission of the α variant of SARS-CoV-2, which was dominant at the time.
A subsequent study,4 conducted later in the course of the pandemic when the delta variant was dominant, showed vaccines had a less pronounced effect on denting onward transmission, but were still effective.

How could vaccines help reduce transmission?​

Vaccines aren’t preventing onward transmission by reducing the viral load—or amount of SARS-CoV-2—in your body. “Most studies show if you got an infection after vaccination, compared with someone who got an infection without a vaccine, you were pretty much shedding roughly the same amount of virus,” says Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia. One study,5 sponsored by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), found “no difference in infectious virus titer between groups” who had been vaccinated and had not.
Instead, it’s the principle that the UKHSA identified above: if you don’t get infected in the first place thanks to a vaccine, you can’t spread it. Once you’re infected, you still can—although what we know about the window when you’re most likely to transmit the virus to others has improved.
ummmm.... they're talking about omicron. That's 2022's covid. You didn't read the paper tho did you.

lets read the previous results from that article together:

Literally what i said.

Sigh. While i appreciate you going through the effort of proving i was right, it would save time if you could READ before you make your arguments.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Post in thread 'Majority of Canadians have now caught COVID — so what does that mean for the future.https://forums.canadiancontent.net/...-that-mean-for-the-future.174475/post-2973968

Does it prevent transmission?
are you referring to the information from the link you posted? According to the link you posted it absolutely does reduce transmissions.

So according to the info you posted (you know - the one where somehow I was 'fucked" LOLOLOL) yes it does prevent it a significant percent of the time.

Can't you read your own link? The link you provided says exactly what i've been saying - very high percent chance to block with Alpha, reduced but significant with delta.

You literally posted the proof you were wrong and I was correct. Which is nice for me, but maybe read a little BEFORE picking these fights next time.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Click the link.

BTW, reduced coughing, snot dripping, sweating and sneezing isn't "stopping transmission".
You click the link I posted a bunch that are 100 percent legtitmate studies and you've posted one that agrees with me.

This is over - when you posted one that shows you are wrong you pretty much lost any right to have me follow any others.

You were wrong. It absolutely does reduce transmission. I posted links proving it. You posted links proving it. Unless you're calling yourself a liar we're pretty much done and if you ARE calling yourself a liar why would i bother to read links a liar posts?

Either way - guess you're the one who's "fucked" when you posted proof of my statements :) Sorry sparky next time do your reasearch early. In case you're not noticing a theme here, you keep insisting you're right while getting shot down - do your research BEFORE you insist you're right. Afterwards leads to situations like this where you accidentally post proof that I"M right. in rebuttal to proof I provided that i'm right. THat just makes you look bad.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Check the dates. Shit has changed since early 2021.
Sure - now we have omicron. Which is different. Which i've said from the very first post on the issue. Alpha very good, delta good but not as good as alpha, omicron not so much good.

So - was that yet another link proving me right? I honestly don't need any more links proving me right, we've had plenty.

The shot did very well against alpha (which died pretty quick after it was introduced) and did respectibly well against delta (which also faded away pretty quick) and doesn't stop transmission at all really for omicron (which remains but isn't nearly as much of a threat so we don't care.)

So when you say it NEVER - NEVER EVER!! NEVER EVER EVER EVER!! (inarticulate screeching) stopped a single transmission you are 100 percent completely wrong. It basically helped us knock out the two most threatening variants, and the one we're left with is a pain in the ass but nothing near like the first two. So - yay.

The shots still help against severity but evidence is they fade quickly, natural immunity even more so. So you're probablyl going to get it more than once. But - while that sucks it's hardly the end of the world. If you're in a particularly high risk group then you might want to consider continuing to take boosters as an option but for the vast majority of people it's just time to get on with life.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Bullshit. Covid vaccines dont stop infection or transmission. Why are you the only person claiming such malarkey?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Bullshit. Covid vaccines dont stop infection or transmission. Why are you the only person claiming such malarkey?
We've already seen you're wrong. YOU posted proof you're wrong. EVERYONE knows you're wrong. But sure, dig yourself in a little deeper if you like :)