Poilievre unveils House of Commons leadership team that includes two LGBT MPs

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

Poilievre unveils House of Commons leadership team that includes two LGBT MPs​

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre revealed his Commons leadership team Tuesday in a social media post — a nine-member group that includes two LGBT MPs and one of the few persons of colour in the Conservative caucus.

Kind of an odd flex to go with that headline for the CBC. That wasn't mentioned in the announcement i believe, so i'm not sure why they made that the headline.

Polievre: We have a strong team we feel can deliver for Canadians.

CBC: "Hey! They've got two lezzies and a brown guy!"

Ohhhkaaaayyyyyy......

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Kind of an odd flex to go with that headline for the CBC. That wasn't mentioned in the announcement i believe, so i'm not sure why they made that the headline.
I think I’m seeing through this one. It’s not odd for the CBC, if they’re a wing of the Liberal Propaganda Machine.
Polievre: We have a strong team we feel can deliver for Canadians.

Ohhhkaaaayyyyyy......
Wait….the Liberals are currently trying to figure out how to tack to the Centre-Right from way out in NDP-Land in Left Field…& appear more fiscally prudent (while still printing money and throwing it out there to increase inflation) and less woke….in a panic response to Poilievre becoming the leader of the conservatives?

…& the CBC is trying to paint the Conservatives as the party of the woke? “Holy propaganda Bat-People!!” That’s just bizarre.

If the Conservatives are painted as woke, it will make the Liberal/NDP non-coalition coalition appear less woke & less left of centre than it really is? Is it really that simple and transparent?

Reactions: The_Foxer

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I think I’m seeing through this one. It’s not odd for the CBC, if they’re a wing of the Liberal Propaganda Machine.

The headline fit, and with concern that the man is too far right to even accept gay people or anyone else GLBTQIA+, it was smart of him to try and appear not so... anti... as it were.

Wait….the Liberals are currently trying to figure out how to tack to the Centre-Right from way out in NDP-Land in Left Field…& appear more fiscally prudent (while still printing money and throwing it out there to increase inflation) and less woke….in a panic response to Poilievre becoming the leader of the conservatives?

…& the CBC is trying to paint the Conservatives as the party of the woke? “Holy propaganda Bat-People!!” That’s just bizarre.

If the Conservatives are painted as woke, it will make the Liberal/NDP non-coalition coalition appear less woke & less left of centre than it really is? Is it really that simple and transparent?

After reading the article, I gotta admit that PP was smart in how he made up his leadership team. He's pulling in from 'undesireables' - from Atlantic Canadian representation to GLBTQIA+, to having people from Toronto, a previous CBC commentator and lobbyist...

It'll make his position as Opposition leader interesting for a while at least.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Poilievre: We have a strong team we feel can deliver for Canadians.

Ohhhkaaaayyyyyy......
The headline fit, and with concern that the man is too far right to even accept gay people or anyone else GLBTQIA+, it was smart of him to try and appear not so... anti... as it were.
After reading the article, I gotta admit that PP was smart in how he made up his leadership team. He's pulling in from 'undesireables' - from Atlantic Canadian representation to GLBTQIA+, to having people from Toronto, a previous CBC commentator and lobbyist...

It'll make his position as Opposition leader interesting for a while at least.
I don’t think he’s dumb, and his claim is he picked these folks to fight inflation, not because it’s 2015-ish.

CBC ran with the “‘Cuz its 2015” theme & though I’m sure that’s a consideration in the selection process because everything would be….I’m assuming that’s not the prime consideration….& if it fits some kind’a CBC checklist then so be it.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

I don’t think he’s dumb, and his claim is he picked these folks to fight inflation, not because it’s 2015-ish.

Sure that's his claim, that doesn't mean it's true. Considering the highly questionable stance of the Cons in a lot of places, picking people like this IS rather surprising overall. Maybe if it doesn't affect you, it doesn't seem to matter but... meh, I'm surprised. Again, good on him for trying to appear not so 'anti'.

CBC ran with the “‘Cuz its 2015” theme

If you want to look at it that way, sure?

& though I’m sure that’s a consideration in the selection process because everything would be….I’m assuming that’s not the prime consideration….& if it fits some kind’a CBC checklist then so be it.

Lately I've heard a LOT about the Cons on CBC... so this idea that it's "Liberal" only somehow is amusing.

I'm wondering if this 'checklist' is what you think it is.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
And now is a time when politicians are being challenged on their racial/sexual bona fides. It's no more nor less valid than the days I was remembering when a body could hardly get a senior government position down here without being a veteran.
Yeah, but shouldn’t the racial/sexual bona fides take a backseat to fiscal and economic bona fides until the fiscal & economic house is in order (?) and then we can get back to garnish issues?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sure that's his claim, that doesn't mean it's true. Considering the highly questionable stance of the Cons in a lot of places, picking people like this IS rather surprising overall. Maybe if it doesn't affect you, it doesn't seem to matter but... meh, I'm surprised. Again, good on him for trying to appear not so 'anti'.
If you want to look at it that way, sure.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yeah, but shouldn’t the racial/sexual bona fides take a backseat to fiscal and economic bona fides until the fiscal & economic house is in order (?) and then we can get back to garnish issues?
Of course they should. And bawling about how you're really just a common man at heart should take a back seat to laying out your policies and plans in detail.

Good luck with that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The 2 lezzies and the brown guy were probably the ones qualified for the jobs.
I have little doubt they were specifically picked for their non-professional "qualifications."

No big deal. Frankly, the whole notion that there's a set, defined list of quals for senior political positions is pretty stupid, usually just yet another whining complaint from the out party.

The optics were good for Poo-lover. And you can rant and rave as much as you like about "optics," they're a big part of the system, and that ain't gonna change.

Reactions: Serryah

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It looks like Poo-lover's following Nixon's old advice for relatively rightist parties: Run as far to the right as you can for the primary (leadership contest), then as fast to the center as you can for the general (the election).

Nixon was a pragmatic politician, and he got some good stuff done. It's a shame his personal demons got the better of him in the end.

Reactions: Serryah

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It looks like Poo-lover's following Nixon's old advice for relatively rightist parties: Run as far to the right as you can for the primary (leadership contest), then as fast to the center as you can for the general (the election).
That would seem to be inaccrate. Most of those people were with him before he won and have been in his camp the whole time. So there's no pivot here, the cbc is just pointing it out now for some reason. And they're all perfect fits for those jobs.