spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Aitchison condemns Lewis' email as 'dog whistle' to COVID vaccine critics
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Stephanie Taylor
Publishing date:Aug 25, 2022 • 12 hours ago • 3 minute read • 5 Comments
Aitchison is calling out a competitor in the race for sending an email last week about the Nuremberg Code and medical experimentation.
Aitchison is calling out a competitor in the race for sending an email last week about the Nuremberg Code and medical experimentation. PHOTO BY JEFF MCINTOSH /The Canadian Press
OTTAWA — Conservative party leadership candidate Scott Aitchison is condemning Leslyn Lewis’ message to members last week about the Nuremberg Code and medical experimentation as nothing but a “dog whistle” to COVID-19 vaccine critics.

Aitchison made the comments in a missive sent to party members Thursday, with less than two weeks before they must return their ballots for a new leader by the Sept. 6 deadline.

Aitchison, an MP first elected for the party in 2019 and again last year, entered the leadership race as a largely unknown figure.

Throughout the race, the rural Ontario representative has campaigned on a message of restoring decency in politics at a time when leaders of different stripes have been accused of stoking division.

He referred to those values in Thursday’s message, saying he has heard from Canadians who were confused and “appalled” at the comparison Lewis drew between contemporary issues and the Holocaust.

In her message, Lewis provided a timeline of moments in history when humans have been subjected to experimentation, including some Indigenous children in residential schools who were malnourished.

She wrote that, “even in modern times the tenets of informed consent and voluntary participation in scientific experiments can be easily undermined by even our modern governments.”

Although Lewis didn’t mention COVID-19 in last week’s note about the Nuremberg Code — a set of research guidelines established after the Second World War, when Nazi doctors carried out inhumane experiments on prisoners — Aitchison says some opposed to COVID-19 immunizations have compared vaccine mandates to the horrors of Nazi Germany.

“Leslyn’s email was a dog whistle to these people so loud that it sounds more like a freight train’s horn,” Aitchison said.

“Let me be clear — being offered a vaccine that prevents serious illness and our governments’ responses to this pandemic are not the same as being tortured in a Nazi concentration camp.”

Lewis responded to Aitchison’s condemnation in a statement pointing out how her initial message never mentioned COVID-19. She went on to accuse her colleague of attacking her publicly, saying “he diminished my existence as a Black woman who has endured racism, and rose above it all.”

“I understand that some people were shocked by the fact that I was willing to point out how governments throughout history have broken the Nuremberg Code, including right here in Canada,” Lewis said.

“I had a few caucus colleagues who had questions about my letter. They contacted me directly, and we discussed it,” she said, adding that “we came away with a greater understanding of the other’s thoughts.”

Aitchison, in his message to members, also touched on a recent decision by the Liberal government to back away from a group hired to do anti-racism work after The Canadian Press reported one of its consultants had sent tweets about “Jewish white supremacists.”

Many Conservative MPs have roundly criticized the government, questioning what kind of vetting occurred.

“If we want to actually deliver on the promise of better government, we as a party must do better as well,” Aitchison said.

Lewis entered the contest to become party leader as a sitting MP who placed third in the 2020 leadership race.

Like in the first race, she once again enjoys the backing of the social conservative wing of the party, a segment of the base that is highly motivated to purchase memberships and elect a leader who opposes abortion — which Lewis does.

This time around, however, Lewis has also championed opposition to COVID-19 health measures as well as global entities like the World Economic Forum, the United Nations and the World Health Organization

Lewis has been criticized for playing into conspiracy theories — which some in the party worry have been spreading — to make political gain. For her part, Lewis has defended raising such issues by saying it’s what she hears when she talks to Canadians, whose views should not be dismissed.

In May, Aitchison raised concerns about the prevalence of conspiracy theories in the party during a debate in Ottawa, hosted by the Canada Strong and Free Network, an organization that advocates for the conservative movement.

“Every time I hear a Conservative talking about some conspiracy theory, I realize that there’s another group of swing voters in the (Greater Toronto Area) that just are not going to come our way,” he told the audience at the time.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Aitchison condemns Lewis' email as 'dog whistle' to COVID vaccine critics
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Stephanie Taylor
Publishing date:Aug 25, 2022 • 12 hours ago • 3 minute read • 5 Comments
Aitchison is calling out a competitor in the race for sending an email last week about the Nuremberg Code and medical experimentation.
Aitchison is calling out a competitor in the race for sending an email last week about the Nuremberg Code and medical experimentation. PHOTO BY JEFF MCINTOSH /The Canadian Press
OTTAWA — Conservative party leadership candidate Scott Aitchison is condemning Leslyn Lewis’ message to members last week about the Nuremberg Code and medical experimentation as nothing but a “dog whistle” to COVID-19 vaccine critics.

Aitchison made the comments in a missive sent to party members Thursday, with less than two weeks before they must return their ballots for a new leader by the Sept. 6 deadline.

Aitchison, an MP first elected for the party in 2019 and again last year, entered the leadership race as a largely unknown figure.

Throughout the race, the rural Ontario representative has campaigned on a message of restoring decency in politics at a time when leaders of different stripes have been accused of stoking division.

He referred to those values in Thursday’s message, saying he has heard from Canadians who were confused and “appalled” at the comparison Lewis drew between contemporary issues and the Holocaust.

In her message, Lewis provided a timeline of moments in history when humans have been subjected to experimentation, including some Indigenous children in residential schools who were malnourished.

She wrote that, “even in modern times the tenets of informed consent and voluntary participation in scientific experiments can be easily undermined by even our modern governments.”

Although Lewis didn’t mention COVID-19 in last week’s note about the Nuremberg Code — a set of research guidelines established after the Second World War, when Nazi doctors carried out inhumane experiments on prisoners — Aitchison says some opposed to COVID-19 immunizations have compared vaccine mandates to the horrors of Nazi Germany.

“Leslyn’s email was a dog whistle to these people so loud that it sounds more like a freight train’s horn,” Aitchison said.

“Let me be clear — being offered a vaccine that prevents serious illness and our governments’ responses to this pandemic are not the same as being tortured in a Nazi concentration camp.”

Lewis responded to Aitchison’s condemnation in a statement pointing out how her initial message never mentioned COVID-19. She went on to accuse her colleague of attacking her publicly, saying “he diminished my existence as a Black woman who has endured racism, and rose above it all.”

“I understand that some people were shocked by the fact that I was willing to point out how governments throughout history have broken the Nuremberg Code, including right here in Canada,” Lewis said.

“I had a few caucus colleagues who had questions about my letter. They contacted me directly, and we discussed it,” she said, adding that “we came away with a greater understanding of the other’s thoughts.”

Aitchison, in his message to members, also touched on a recent decision by the Liberal government to back away from a group hired to do anti-racism work after The Canadian Press reported one of its consultants had sent tweets about “Jewish white supremacists.”

Many Conservative MPs have roundly criticized the government, questioning what kind of vetting occurred.

“If we want to actually deliver on the promise of better government, we as a party must do better as well,” Aitchison said.

Lewis entered the contest to become party leader as a sitting MP who placed third in the 2020 leadership race.

Like in the first race, she once again enjoys the backing of the social conservative wing of the party, a segment of the base that is highly motivated to purchase memberships and elect a leader who opposes abortion — which Lewis does.

This time around, however, Lewis has also championed opposition to COVID-19 health measures as well as global entities like the World Economic Forum, the United Nations and the World Health Organization

Lewis has been criticized for playing into conspiracy theories — which some in the party worry have been spreading — to make political gain. For her part, Lewis has defended raising such issues by saying it’s what she hears when she talks to Canadians, whose views should not be dismissed.

In May, Aitchison raised concerns about the prevalence of conspiracy theories in the party during a debate in Ottawa, hosted by the Canada Strong and Free Network, an organization that advocates for the conservative movement.

“Every time I hear a Conservative talking about some conspiracy theory, I realize that there’s another group of swing voters in the (Greater Toronto Area) that just are not going to come our way,” he told the audience at the time.
I thought Ms Lewis wanted to outlaw abortion, did she not?

So much for "bodily autonomy."

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
"offered" a vaccine.
So if i come to Atkinson and say "Give me 10000 dollars or i'll destroy your life, destroy your career, publicly attack you and encourage your neighbors to hate you, and forbid you from traveling", I'm 'offering' to let them give me money. Is that correct? Because we would normally have called that extortion.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ontario COVID-19 Science Table to be dissolved, group says
Author of the article:Antonella Artuso
Publishing date:Aug 26, 2022 • 14 hours ago • 2 minute read • 33 Comments

The Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table — a group of experts that provided advice and forecast modelling — says it has been ordered by Public Health Ontario (PHO) to dissolve.

The table and its working groups were told on Aug. 18 to wrap up their work by Sept. 6.

“The COVID-19 pandemic continues, and it contributes to Ontario’s growing number of health system crises,” according to a letter to PHO President and CEO Dr. Michael Sherar which can be found at covid19-sciencetable.ca. “Each of us on the Science Table has a contribution to make in the effort to secure Ontario’s health, and we will now return fully to that work.”

Premier Doug Ford insisted Friday that the group’s work was not ending, and instead the Science Table would be absorbed into PHO.

“They’re always going to be independent just like Public Health is,” Ford said. “I’m sure they’ll be quite happy.”

The Science Advisory Table has provided guidance on infection prevention and control in schools and the impact on the pandemic on long-term care (LTC) homes.

Its most high-profile work was in modelling possible trajectories for COVID-19, which influenced the Doug Ford government’s decisions to implement public health measures, including lockdowns.

In its open memo to Sherar, the Science Table notes that two things enabled it to serve the government and Ontarians during the pandemic.

The Science Table’s work reflects the dedication of hundreds of volunteer scientists, physicians and administrators who devoted their time to the effort, the memo says.

The government also supported three principles of scientific independence in its original mandate — to identify and study any scientific question that members felt would help Ontario fight COVID-19, to pursue those investigations wherever the science led and to communicate publicly and openly about the results of its investigations, the memo says.

“We are deeply grateful for the opportunity to have served Ontario since July of 2020,” the Science Table says. “Many of us will remember our work for the Science Table as some of the most important work we have ever had the chance to do. We count ourselves lucky to have done so in partnership with 15 million Ontarians who care so deeply about their communities, and with the many health professionals, public servants and cabinet members who have so often had the courage to make difficult choices.”

The Science Table and its members often faced criticism from those who objected to the public health measures or vaccines or who questioned the modelling.

The changes to the Science Table come as the fall flu and COVID-19 season approaches.

aartuso@postmedia.com

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Don't forget fluoridation of water and polio, MMR, whooping-cough, and fever vaccines violate yer rahts!

Typhoid Mary was persecuted. She should have been allowed to keep working and spread typhus.

Mary Mallon (September 23, 1869 – November 11, 1938), commonly known as Typhoid Mary, was an Irish-born American cook believed to have infected between 51 to 122 people with typhoid fever. The infections caused three confirmed deaths, with unconfirmed estimates of up to 50. She was the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier of the pathogenic bacteria Salmonella typhi. She persisted in working as a cook and thereby exposed others to the disease. Because of that, she was twice forcibly quarantined by authorities, eventually for the final two decades of her life. Mallon died after a total of nearly 30 years in isolation. Her popular nickname has since gained currency as a term for persons who spread disease or other misfortune, not always aware that they are doing so.

Link

Her body, her choice, right?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Don't forget fluoridation of water and polio, MMR, whooping-cough, and fever vaccines violate yer rahts!

Typhoid Mary was persecuted. She should have been allowed to keep working and spread typhus.

Mary Mallon (September 23, 1869 – November 11, 1938), commonly known as Typhoid Mary, was an Irish-born American cook believed to have infected between 51 to 122 people with typhoid fever. The infections caused three confirmed deaths, with unconfirmed estimates of up to 50. She was the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier of the pathogenic bacteria Salmonella typhi. She persisted in working as a cook and thereby exposed others to the disease. Because of that, she was twice forcibly quarantined by authorities, eventually for the final two decades of her life. Mallon died after a total of nearly 30 years in isolation. Her popular nickname has since gained currency as a term for persons who spread disease or other misfortune, not always aware that they are doing so.

Link

That is an interesting case study. Lifetime quarantine because her body was immune to the bacteria thus she was asymptomatic and her body would not fight the bacteria. Is the world like Mr. Spock says: The good of the many over the good of the few?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That is an interesting case study. Lifetime quarantine because her body was immune to the bacteria thus she was asymptomatic and her body would not fight the bacteria. Is the world like Mr. Spock says: The good of the many over the good of the few?
Um. . . yes. Ever heard of something called "conscription?" Even supposedly-free countries abrogate the rights of the few, even when those few are no danger to others (unlike Typhoid Mary), for the alleged good of "the people."

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

Link

Nobody is forced to take any of those vaccines. You can opt out of all of them on moral or religious grounds and still attend school, go to work, fly in a plane etc. Soooooo .. why not any other vaccine?

Typhoid mary had typhoid. Everyone accepts that if you tested positive for covid you should stay home till you are better. Trying to compare someone who actually HAS an illness to someone who just doesn't want to get a vaccine but DOESN'T have an illness is beyond being a false equivilancy. I mean seriously - where the hell did you get that as being the same thing?

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah and petros

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
NACI now suggests Canadians consider a COVID-19 booster every 90 days
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:Sep 02, 2022 • 15 hours ago • 1 minute read • 230 Comments

Just when you thought you knew everything about COVID-19 shot intervals along comes another suggestion.

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization said on Thursday that Canadians may consider getting a vaccine every 90 days, the tightest deadline to date, according to Blacklock’s Reporter.

“A shorter interval of at least three months may be warranted in the context of heightened epidemiological risk as well as operational considerations for the efficient deployment of the COVID-19 vaccination program,” a summary of a National Advisory Committee on Immunization statement said on Sept. 1.

Just weeks ago the Department of Health said a booster every nine months was sufficient.

“I understand that people can feel overwhelmed,” said Dr. Supriya Sharma, chief medical advisor to the health department.

“There’s a lot of information and the messaging has changed a little bit from the pandemic. We were at the beginning, you know, ‘Run, don’t walk, get your first vaccine, get the first vaccine that’s available to you.’ It was really straightforward in terms of that initial messaging. But it does get more complicated, right, because we are in a different situation.”

Dr. Howard Njoo, deputy chief public health officer, said a booster every six months “is not enough” due to waning effectiveness.

“If you’ve had a previous booster dose, whatever number you’ve had before, or infection, you should wait six months, but certainly based on local circumstances, other considerations, that interval may be decreased down to like three months or so,” said Njoo.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We had both shots & two booster shots before the end of 2021….then where due to get our third booster shots in September 2022 (now)….but now we’re two booster shots behind? Crazy stuff.

In all honesty I have no idea if either my girlfriend or I have had Covid yet or not. Maybe we have and maybe we haven’t. Maybe there’s some natural immunity in on top of the shots and boosters, & maybe there isn’t. Maybe if your aunt had balls, she might be your uncle but maybe she’s still your aunt.

Reactions: petros

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I have had the first 2 + 1 booster. I was eligible for 2nd booster in May. I passed. I will consider the new Omicron boosters when they become more widely available.