Federal board investigating Alexander Graham Bell's 'controversial beliefs'

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Federal board investigating Alexander Graham Bell's 'controversial beliefs'
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:Aug 11, 2022 • 18 hours ago • 1 minute read • 28 Comments

Alexander Graham Bell is being investigated posthumously for his “controversial beliefs,” according to records, Blacklock’s Reporter reported.

A federal board is reviewing posthumous honours for Bell under a broad category of “controversial beliefs and behaviour.” It defined the reference as “views, actions and activities condemned by today’s society.”

Bell died a hundred years ago. Certain Canadian landmarks like the Halifax Citadel and Crowsnest Pass are also up for review because of potential ties to “colonialism, patriarchy and racism,” according to the report.

Bell’s Brantford, Ont. homestead was designated a national historic site in 1934. A park near his Baddeck, N.S. summer home was designated in 1959 and Bell himself in 1977 was honoured as a “national historic person.” The Commons as late as 2002 unanimously passed a motion sponsored by then-Liberal MP Sheila Copps (Hamilton East, Ont.) that celebrated Bell as inventor of the telephone, Blacklock’s said.

The Monuments Board did not explain what “controversial beliefs” Bell held. The inventor in an 1883 essay Memoir Upon Formation Of A Deaf Variety Of The Human Race opposed marriage between deaf couples. He also opposed sign language and encouraged the deaf to assimilate by reading lips. Both Bell’s mother and wife were hearing impaired.

Blacklock’s said numerous landmarks are under review for “colonial assumptions.” The board explained the reference was to designations “from an overly European perspective” including the Halifax Citadel, Crowsnest Pass, Alberta’s Bar U Ranch, Ontario’s Algonquin Provincial Park and a 1924 designation marking “discovery of Prince Edward Island.”

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Monuments Board did not explain what “controversial beliefs” Bell held. The inventor in an 1883 essay Memoir Upon Formation Of A Deaf Variety Of The Human Race opposed marriage between deaf couples. He also opposed sign language and encouraged the deaf to assimilate by reading lips. Both Bell’s mother and wife were hearing impaired.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Too bad their isn't a concept of freedom of thought.

Also I love how they are judging someone from 1880 by 2022 standards (of those doing the judging of course). He may have used an incorrect pronoun. No monument for you.

Reactions: 55Mercury

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Too bad their isn't a concept of freedom of thought.

Also I love how they are judging someone from 1880 by 2022 standards (of those doing the judging of course). He may have used an incorrect pronoun. No monument for you.
Oh, well. So much for history. Cuz if Canada's anything like the South, history is learned from statues and monuments, not from books.

• Haha
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Next up, Upper Canada Village will be on the chopping block.

Funny how the leftards won't go after Tommy Douglas though. A man who stated that gay people should be lobotomized. But nope, Tommy boy is a Canadian leftard hero.

Reactions: 55Mercury

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Funny how the leftards won't go after Tommy Douglas though. A man who stated that gay people should be lobotomized. But nope, Tommy boy is a Canadian leftard hero.
Douglas was a piece of shit. He went far beyond just going after gays. Any one of colour and not a WASP was a lesser human to him.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

What a dope! The usual call is for castration, not lobotomy!

I'm not sure Tommy Douglas understands how sex works.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And used mental health as guinea pigs for a pile of experiments. MK Ultra had its roots in SK under Tommy the Commie

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
If there are any statues of Tommy Douglas, they should be torn down as well. A person in my immediate family was forcefully sterilized without family consultation because she was developmentally delayed & living in a institution.

So if there are those who want to destroy humanity (aka abortion, sterilization), how do they benefit from it because it would mean destroying themselves as well. It simply doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: Serryah

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I’m not sure if anybody here has picked up on this or not but I’m not a great fan of Justin Trudeau….. but if there was a statue of this clown…. I would be against anybody tearing it down or ripping his head off or throwing it into a canal…. As regardless of how much of a screwup I think this guy is, he is going to be a part of our history and should be remembered for both the good & bad he inflicted upon us.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’m not sure if anybody here has picked up on this or not but I’m not a great fan of Justin Trudeau….. but if there was a statue of this clown…. I would be against anybody tearing it down or ripping his head off or throwing it into a canal…. As regardless of how much of a screwup I think this guy is, he is going to be a part of our history and should be remembered for both the good & bad he inflicted upon us.
Really? You don't like Justin? Shocked.

I am of the position that we should just not do statues period. Plant a tree. Help the environment instead. History can be learned in books.

Reactions: Serryah

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Really? You don't like Justin? Shocked.
It’s Trudeau…I mean true though.
I am of the position that we should just not do statues period. Plant a tree. Help the environment instead. History can be learned in books.
Good point assuming there will be books in a few generations still that aren’t just collectable artifacts of a past age.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Well I'm sure this might shock (maybe) some...

This whole 'get rid of statues' thing is stupid.

So is 'investigating' someone historically.

What they're really doing is called H.I.S.T.O.R.I.C.A.L. R.E.S.E.A.R.C.H.

And maybe learning more about the person.

And if that stuff is not up to modern standards?

Fuck off with 'cancelling' it. Rather TEACH IT; teach why things changed, why society changed, why their beliefs no longer are valid.

History is messy, history is uncomfortable; if it's comfortable, if it's happy/shiney, it's fucking propaganda.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
“views, actions and activities condemned by today’s society.”

But not necessarily condemned in his society.

Reactions: Ron in Regina