Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Politicians duke it out over the term 'Latinx'
Author of the article:Liz Braun
Publishing date:Jun 07, 2022 • 12 hours ago • 1 minute read • 14 Comments

“Latinx” is a gender-neutral word, and Democrats should not be afraid to use it, says U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

The Daily Mail reports that Ocasio-Cortez said, “Gender is fluid, language is fluid, you don’t have to make drama over it.”

She defended the use of Latinx as more gender-inclusive language, posting about it, “in the spirit of Pride,” as June is Pride Month, but she also mentioned the linguistic importance.

Latinx is becoming a preferred term for some Hispanic citizens, as it does not use the gendered “Latino” and “Latina” forms.

According to a Politico poll of Hispanic voters, about 2% of those polled refer to themselves as Latinx.

Said Ocasio-Cortez: “There are some politicians — including Democratic politicians — that rail against the term, ‘Latinx.’ And they’re like, ‘This is so bad. This is so bad for the party like, blah, blah blah.’ And like, it’s almost as though it has not struck some of these folks that another person’s identity is not about your re-election prospects.

“Like, this is not about you.”

Even before the word Latinx was coined, people had attempted to use the “@” symbol at the end of the word — “Latin@” — to get away from gendered usage.

Other politicians said it was more important to use the term employed most by Hispanic people themselves.

Ritchie Torres, a Democrat, sent off a flurry of tweets 10 days ago on the issue, stating,

“I never said there should be a ban on the term ‘Latinx.’ Quite the opposite.

“I mostly use the term ‘Latino’ whereas Corporate America & government almost exclusively uses the term ‘Latinx.'”

Torres questions why that should be, given polling shows, “most Latino adults have not heard of the term Latinx.”

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
so the sleep-woking spanish hate their language now? lol
I wonder if the gender conscious sleep-woking french have similar issues with their language. no more le or la, juste eeks! um, yeah, eeks is how you say the letter X in french.

as to pronunciation of latino and latina, I'm sure everyone knows how they're said. but in the uncharted waters of latinxtremes, I gotta ask, does latinx rhyme with kleenex?
I much prefer (for a term I'll probably never use) the more phonetic 'latinks' for how it rolls off the tongue, not to mention the added bonus (metinks) of mocking the idiocy of the sleep-woking corporations who clamor to this nonsense.

:?D

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
so the sleep-woking spanish hate their language now? lol
I wonder if the gender conscious sleep-woking french have similar issues with their language. no more le or la, juste eeks! um, yeah, eeks is how you say the letter X in french.

as to pronunciation of latino and latina, I'm sure everyone knows how they're said. but in the uncharted waters of latinxtremes, I gotta ask, does latinx rhyme with kleenex?
I much prefer (for a term I'll probably never use) the more phonetic 'latinks' for how it rolls off the tongue, not to mention the added bonus (metinks) of mocking the idiocy of the sleep-woking corporations who clamor to this nonsense.

:?D
"Spics" is shorter.

• Wow
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Years ago, yep. And as AOC says, language changes and evolves. Uncle Tom is now a racial epithet and has been for at least 60-70 years. It's the equivalent of Whitey calling another White person a "race traitor".
I'm familiar with the current use of the term. Don't think much of it.

Let's try this one out. I've heard it said that "racism" has two elements. . . hatred of a people based on the subgroup of humanity to which they belong, and the power to oppress. Thus, White racism against non-Whites is racist and bad, and non-White racism against Whites (and possibly other groups of non-Whites) is not racism.

Personally, I think that's bullshit. First, I don't like the terminology. I call the racism-with-power "discrimination," and it is properly unlawful, and should be illegal.

Racism as in "I think those people (pick your group) are inherently mentally and morally inferior to my group" is lawful, just stupid.

See, this way I kinda reconcile the two. And I think it points up a big issue. No group except Whites in the U.S. or Canada has ever written its racism into the law. If "race is an artificial construct," the overwhelming architects of that construct were White in North America.

And that's why White racism is more dangerous than non-White racism. It has more power to harm.

Pretty much why I don't pay much mind to tu quoque bullshit like "Black people (or Natives, or what-have-you) are racist too!" excuses anything. It's just a limp-dick, lamebrain excuse or attempt to divert.

What say you?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Racism as in "I think those people (pick your group) are inherently mentally and morally inferior to my group" is lawful, just stupid

The way I understand it this is free speech when "I think" is in there. States a personal opinion. Leave out the "I think" and it becomes a statement of fact, therefore hate speech. Gotta watch them Weasley lawyer words.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Progressive state senator rips AOC for being absent from her community
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:Jul 26, 2022 • 20 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

A progressive state senator in New York is ripping Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for allegedly being absent from her community and district.

New York State Senator Jessica Ramos went at Ocasio-Cortez after someone on Twitter said she blew off a meeting with health policy experts.

“Maybe if you spent more time in your office and with your team you’d know what goes on,” Ramos tweeted.

“Just saying it would be nice if you breathed our air.”

Ocasio-Cortez responded about missing the health meeting: “I’m really sorry to hear that this happened. It’s not representative of me nor my values. If you can connect with details I’d appreciate it. I’ll follow so DMs will be open.”

Some on Twitter said Ramos wasn’t doing any good by tweeting about the situation. But Ramos defended her take.

“Our district offices are on the same floor in the same building. She’s barely ever present in the community. It’s an indisputable fact.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
AOC won’t be president because so many Americans 'hate women'
Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Publishing date:Sep 08, 2022 • 18 hours ago • 2 minute read • 11 Comments
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on the cover of GQ magazine.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on the cover of GQ magazine. PHOTO BY CRUZ VALDEZ FOR GQ /Twitter
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said she could never be elected president because so many Americans “hate women” and “would never let that happen.”

The New York Democrat covers the latest issue of GQ magazine where she is touted as “the political voice of a general — and culture star whose power transcends politics.”

In the wide-ranging interview, Ocasio-Cortez discusses a future bid for the White House, but her experience in Congress has given her “a front-row seat to how deeply and unconsciously, as well as consciously, so many people in this country hate women.”

She added: “And they hate women of colour.”

AOC says people often ask her about the future and her response is grim.

“Realistically, I can’t even tell you if I’m going to be alive in September,” she told the magazine. “And that weighs very heavily on me. And it’s not just the right wing. Misogyny transcends political ideology: left, right, center.”

She continued: “I admit to sometimes believing that I live in a country that would never let that happen.”

When girls tell her they want her to be POTUS one day, Ocasio-Cortez struggles with it.

“It’s very difficult for me to talk about because it provokes a lot of inner conflict in that I never want to tell a little girl what she can’t do,” she explained. “And I don’t want to tell young people what is not possible. I’ve never been in the business of doing that. But at the same time…”

Ocasio-Cortez also said any potential bid for the presidency would be impeded by the political system, from the Senate to the Supreme Court.

“There are still plenty of limitations,” she said. “It’s tough, it’s really tough.”

She described the “open hostility” she faced from other Democrats after taking office in 2018.

“Since I got here, literally day one, even before day one, I’ve experienced a lot of targeting diminishment from my party,” she explained. “And the pervasiveness of that diminishment, it was all-encompassing at times. I feel a little more steady on my own two feet now.”

She admitted, however, “But would I say that I have the power to shift the elected federal Democratic Party? No.”
1662726755985.png