Roe v. Wade overturned?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Congratulations on that Pete. With respect to this whole conversation in all honesty I thought this was a settled situation…. abortion being generally available into the second trimester, and nobody really politically inept enough to monkey with it.

Here we are with our neighbours to the south debating this 50 year old decision that they’ve had in place for a couple of generations. That’s them and not us.

As far as Canada goes, this topic just seems to be something that is dragged out and dust it off every four years or so for fear mongering in a “Look at them! They also eat kittens! They’re going to be retarded enough (yeah, not PC, whatever) to go against the grain of a right that society has grown accustomed to for decades” which I really doubt anyone would actually touch with a ten foot pole.

Just ‘cuz those south of the border are looking at this, doesn’t mean that it would seriously be even thought of on this side of the border. I’m sure the Jagmeet/Justin union will try to get mileage out of this from the gullible and stupid as they point fingers and innuendo but no basis in reality.

Just because a politicians personal belief system doesn’t allow them to practice abortion personally (unless they’re actually put in the situation where that’s a serious & real option), it doesn’t mean that they’re going to commit political Harakiri against the grain of their own political ambitions.

Maybe I’m completely miss reading the situation and it wouldn’t be the first time, but anyone pointing the finger on this topic in Canadian politics is just fear mongering.

For example, Personally I believe that Junkies on my property stealing shit deserve a shovel up side their heads…. But it doesn’t mean that I’m gonna go out and actively hunt them. I know there are consequences for my actions, if not for the asshole robbing me for their next fix, & I’m assuming current politicians will be of a like mind (knowing that there are consequences for their actions) on the topic of abortion.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Congratulations on that Pete. With respect to this whole conversation in all honesty I thought this was a settled situation…. abortion being generally available into the second trimester, and nobody really politically inept enough to monkey with it.

Here we are with our neighbours to the south debating this 50 year old decision that they’ve had in place for a couple of generations. That’s them and not us.

As far as Canada goes, this topic just seems to be something that is dragged out and dust it off every four years or so for fear mongering in a “Look at them! They also eat kittens! They’re going to be retarded enough (yeah, not PC, whatever) to go against the grain of a right that society has grown accustomed to for decades” which I really doubt anyone would actually touch with a ten foot pole.

Just ‘cuz those south of the border are looking at this, doesn’t mean that it would seriously be even thought of on this side of the border. I’m sure the Jagmeet/Justin union will try to get mileage out of this from the gullible and stupid as they point fingers and innuendo but no basis in reality.

Just because a politicians personal belief system doesn’t allow them to practice abortion personally (unless they’re actually put in the situation where that’s a serious & real option), it doesn’t mean that they’re going to commit political Harakiri against the grain of their own political ambitions.

Maybe I’m completely miss reading the situation and it wouldn’t be the first time, but anyone pointing the finger on this topic in Canadian politics is just fear mongering.

For example, Personally I believe that Junkies on my property stealing shit deserve a shovel up side their heads…. But it doesn’t mean that I’m gonna go out and actively hunt them. I know there are consequences for my actions, if not for the asshole robbing me for their next fix, & I’m assuming current politicians will be of a like mind (knowing that there are consequences for their actions) on the topic of abortion.

When it comes to abortion in Canada, I don't see it changing despite how some might want it so.

If anything, those states who change their abortion accessibility may just have their people come to Canada to get them if they can't get to a closer state.

It may rear it's ugly head from time to time, but abortion in Canada - hopefully anyway - is more solid than in the US.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Are you a person or a human? Does it matter? It does matter. It is everything and the only thing that matters.

You didn't say anything here but congratulations on coming out as a woman.

If you're also female and ever got pregnant, you will also have the freedom to choose to have an abortion.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
When it comes to abortion in Canada, I don't see it changing despite how some might want it so.

If anything, those states who change their abortion accessibility may just have their people come to Canada to get them if they can't get to a closer state.

It may rear it's ugly head from time to time, but abortion in Canada - hopefully anyway - is more solid than in the US.

It could be challenged in courts but our judges are likely to be more liberal for a while.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
It could be challenged in courts but our judges are likely to be more liberal for a while.

It could but it's not just 'liberal justices' that'd keep abortion accessible.

Much as there are those who are against it and would love to have it overturned, it wouldn't be as easy here as it is in the US, plus the machine that drove things to end up like this - the right stacking the courts to their favor - also isn't a thing here, at least, not as much.

Nothing is impossible and it could happen, but the chances are slim. The biggest threat to abortion accessibility is the places to get it done more than anything, and lack of funding for those places.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

…I too know that it predictably rears its head in Canada in the six months before a federal election, & who brings it up (?) & if they didn’t would it just be a dead issue? Something nobody would bring up if it wasn’t brought up to accuse others of being boogie men.
It could be challenged in the courts but legal precedent of current availability for the last generation or more would hold sway regardless of your open political persuasion mentalfloss, or your closet political persuasion (but that’s just my own opinion based upon your intentionally weak & vague arguments for the most part that are easily dismissed or rebutted, like you’re setting up home runs with easy pitches).

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
…I too know that it predictably rears its head in Canada in the six months before a federal election, & who brings it up (?) & if they didn’t would it just be a dead issue? Something nobody would bring up if it wasn’t brought up to accuse others of being boogie men.

Usually who brings it up? Conservatives. And I agree, it should be just a dead issue and it needs to stop being a bloody issue.

It could be challenged in the courts but legal precedent of current availability for the last generation or more would hold sway

Hopefully so, yes.

But then it didn't in the US so... will that embolden the Cons here in Canada, and the right wing extremists? Who knows.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Usually who brings it up? Conservatives. And I agree, it should be just a dead issue and it needs to stop being a bloody issue.

Hopefully so, yes.

But then it didn't in the US so... will that embolden the Cons here in Canada, and the right wing extremists? Who knows.
Yet the conservatives had a solid majority and did not touch the issue . Go figure .

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario

Hopefully so, yes.

All part of the master "plan"
Yet the conservatives had a solid majority and did not touch the issue . Go figure .
But.....the "plan"

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hopefully so, yes.

I’ve a pretty strong suspicion that the only ones that want to mention this topic north of the 49th Parallel have names that start with the letter “J” and are currently in a non-coalition coalition…. And they’re gonna drag it out in the media currently only to capitalize on what’s happening in the US and distract from what they’re actually doing in Canada…. And then it’s gonna fade away until 2025 or until the Non-coalition coalition becomes a Nope-coalition coalition.

Reactions: taxslave

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You didn't say anything here but congratulations on coming out as a woman.

If you're also female and ever got pregnant, you will also have the freedom to choose to have an abortion.
Say no to Persons!

A person is recognized by law as such, not because they are human, but because rights and duties are ascribed to them. The person is the legal subject or substance of which the rights and duties are attributes. An individual human being considered to be having such attributes is what lawyers call a "natural person".

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Per...

Attachments

• 1651755693476.png
    1651755693476.png
    239 bytes · Views: 0
Reactions: Twin_Moose

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I’ve a pretty strong suspicion that the only ones that want to mention this topic north of the 49th Parallel have names that start with the letter “J” and are currently in a non-coalition coalition…. And they’re gonna drag it out in the media currently only to capitalize on what’s happening in the US and distract from what they’re actually doing in Canada…. And then it’s gonna fade away until 2025 or until the Non-coalition coalition becomes a Nope-coalition coalition.
There are two CBC aricles floating around on 2 party leaders in regards to being Catholic.

Read them and its clears as a bell who fuels this shit every election.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
There are two CBC aricles floating around on 2 party leaders in regards to being Catholic.

Read them and its clears as a bell who fuels this shit every election.
Life is short & time is precious with respect to searching through CBC articles…😁…& I think I have a pretty good idea who fuels this shit every election, but I’ve been wrong before many times and even in this thread I’m assuming.

is it who I’m alluding to above?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is it this?:

In this context, the Conservative Party's previous leaders, including former prime minister Stephen Harper and MPs Andrew Scheer and Erin O'Toole, have been dogged by questions from the press and the public about their position on legislating abortion access — and successive Liberal and NDP leaders have made Conservative ambiguity on the topic an election issue.

In an email sent to caucus members Tuesday, interim Conservative leader Candice Bergen told MPs and senators that "Conservatives will not be commenting on draft rulings leaked from the Supreme Court of the United States."

In a subsequent statement to CBC News, Bergen said the party's position on abortion "remains what it has been since the Harper government."

"Access to abortion was not restricted under Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party will not introduce legislation or reopen the abortion debate," she said.

From the CBC:

Reactions: taxslave

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Life is short & time is precious with respect to searching through CBC articles…😁…& I think I have a pretty good idea who fuels this shit every election, but I’ve been wrong before many times and even in this thread I’m assuming.

is it who I’m alluding to above?
One is on Scheer the other on Trudeau being Catholic. They are older pieces.

Reactions: Twin_Moose