CBD and Covid.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
A new study by researchers from the University of Waterloo shows that synthetic cannabidiol (CBD) may help offer some protection against COVID-19.
The University of Waterloo says that the study, Cannabidiol and the anti-viral response to SARS-CoV-2 proteins, showed that the non-psychoactive compound, which is also found in the cannabis plant, “appears to prime the innate immune system of cells, potentially offering protection against pathogens such as SARS-CoV-2.”

The school says its researchers discovered that CBD increases the cell’s response to several key proteins produced by the coronavirus genome. It says the effect had not been discovered prior to the study.
The university says that the researchers looked at how the proteins from the genome operated in human kidney cells and healthy control cells, both with and without CBD.

“When cells in the lungs or the digestive tract are infected with a virus, they have an ability to sense and respond, even before the immune system notices a virus is present,” said Prof. Robin Duncan, who was the lead investigator in the study.
“They do this by activating innate responses inside of cells, which form the first line of defence. In the case of COVID-19, however, this response isn’t very good, which has contributed to high infection rates.”
She says that with a virus like COVID-19, the cells would normally kick-start an internal system that would shred the virus, while also killing the cells before they really can dig in.
“This could stop an infection, or slow its spread in the body or to others,” Duncan explained.
“When we combined CBD with these viral proteins, they had a much better ability to activate this system and to activate apoptosis.”

She went on to note that in cells that had not been previously exposed to the coronavirus, therapeutic amounts of CBD seemed to increase the cells' preparedness to respond to viral infections.

Maria Fernandes, who performed the cell studies, said, “This suggests CBD at the right dose could help cells be in a better state of readiness to respond to a virus, but it doesn’t cause a response unless there is a need.”

Duncan pointed to a U.S. study to back her own, noting that it showed that epilepsy patients who used a high-dose pharmaceutical CBD had around a 10-fold lower risk of testing positive for COVID-19.

She pointed out that CBD does not cause a high, as THC does, which makes the drug more useful.

The school says the study, which has been pre-peer reviewed, is currently under review in the Journal of Life sciences.

Ontario university study shows CBD may offer some protection against COVID-19 (msn.com)

Cannabis truly is a wonder plant. It's no wonder Big Pharma has been terrified of it for so long.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
A new study by researchers from the University of Waterloo shows that synthetic cannabidiol (CBD) may help offer some protection against COVID-19.
The University of Waterloo says that the study, Cannabidiol and the anti-viral response to SARS-CoV-2 proteins, showed that the non-psychoactive compound, which is also found in the cannabis plant, “appears to prime the innate immune system of cells, potentially offering protection against pathogens such as SARS-CoV-2.”

The school says its researchers discovered that CBD increases the cell’s response to several key proteins produced by the coronavirus genome. It says the effect had not been discovered prior to the study.
The university says that the researchers looked at how the proteins from the genome operated in human kidney cells and healthy control cells, both with and without CBD.

“When cells in the lungs or the digestive tract are infected with a virus, they have an ability to sense and respond, even before the immune system notices a virus is present,” said Prof. Robin Duncan, who was the lead investigator in the study.
“They do this by activating innate responses inside of cells, which form the first line of defence. In the case of COVID-19, however, this response isn’t very good, which has contributed to high infection rates.”
She says that with a virus like COVID-19, the cells would normally kick-start an internal system that would shred the virus, while also killing the cells before they really can dig in.
“This could stop an infection, or slow its spread in the body or to others,” Duncan explained.
“When we combined CBD with these viral proteins, they had a much better ability to activate this system and to activate apoptosis.”

She went on to note that in cells that had not been previously exposed to the coronavirus, therapeutic amounts of CBD seemed to increase the cells' preparedness to respond to viral infections.

Maria Fernandes, who performed the cell studies, said, “This suggests CBD at the right dose could help cells be in a better state of readiness to respond to a virus, but it doesn’t cause a response unless there is a need.”

Duncan pointed to a U.S. study to back her own, noting that it showed that epilepsy patients who used a high-dose pharmaceutical CBD had around a 10-fold lower risk of testing positive for COVID-19.

She pointed out that CBD does not cause a high, as THC does, which makes the drug more useful.

The school says the study, which has been pre-peer reviewed, is currently under review in the Journal of Life sciences.

Ontario university study shows CBD may offer some protection against COVID-19 (msn.com)

Cannabis truly is a wonder plant. It's no wonder Big Pharma has been terrified of it for so long.
either that or the weed might cause them not to care about the kung flu. ;)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
If the goal is to have fun, that's where the THC comes in but for me, I just get sleepy so I use it for sleep purposes. For others, it might be "fun".
Are ya smoking indicas or sativas when you get sleepy? As a general rule, though not a ahrd and fast rule, indicas tend to be sedating while sativas can be more energizing.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
There may or may not have also been some experimentation with. . . umm. . . "unauthorized" amphetamines. Almost no effect.
Most pharmaceutical drugs don't work on me like they do for other people. Although a lot depends on the form. For example, Toradol injectable is a friggin' wonder drug as far as I'm concerned. In pill form it does nothing except eat a hole in my gut. Demerol in pill form does nothing. When it's injected OTOH, it's like 'party time'! Don't matter if I'm by myself. :D
Opioids are hit and miss for me. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, except for oxys, they always work but I really hate taking them.

Even marijuana edibles don't really do it for me, although I'd be willing to try a high THC lozenge or lolly since most of that will be absorbed directly into the bloodstream. But the legal market ain't got anything like that that's high THC.

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Me neither. I seem to be uncommonly resistant to stimulants. I can drink three double espressos and go to sleep.
A friend that has ADHD tells me the same thing. She can drink coffee up till 23:00 and drop right off to sleep. I used to work with a guy that has allergic reactions to pot. If I have a coffee at suppertime my eyelids are rolled back until around midnight. Never used to be that way.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Are ya smoking indicas or sativas when you get sleepy? As a general rule, though not a ahrd and fast rule, indicas tend to be sedating while sativas can be more energizing.
I'm using DBC/THC oils. As a former smoker, don't want to go there.