Finally - someone at the CBC Gets it!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
In about ‘75 shortly after the City Hall was built….& the RMA (Regina Motorcycle Association) was also new….my oldest Brother & another guy where to be interviewed by “Holly What’s-Her-Name” (Johnny Sanderson’s Girl Friday) with their motorcycles in front of the fountain in front of the City Hall.

I was in about grade 2, and I got to stay home to watch this (Johnny Sanderson came on CKCK at 11am weekdays) and told all my friends, etc….& then it didn’t happen (did a few weeks later as on in-studio interview though).

Years later I learned that the Harley’s where highly polished & the kickstands had them at a really good rake, & it was a beautiful Saskatchewan Summer day. “Holly What’s-Her-Name stood beside the bikes through the whole interview & the guys thought it went amazingly.

Well, it was the mid-‘70’s, & Holly wasn’t wearing anything (panties, etc…), & the cameraman was zoomed in on the bikes Crome (polished mirror-like) through the whole interview. They didn’t figure it out until shortly before airing-time as this wasn’t live but ‘same day’ sort’a thing.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Very interesting reading....
Looks like the CBC is being called out here:

Reactions: taxslave and Mowich

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
22 Minutes was on again last night after Xmas break. They actually were making fun of Justin a bit.
After that was a new show, Son of a Critch........Supposedly the younger life of Critch of 22 Minutes. Pretty good. As a kid. it shows him going to Catholic school and how they were back then I am going to have to point it out to my holy roller sister in law......She will lose it......lol

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
22 Minutes was on again last night after Xmas break. They actually were making fun of Justin a bit.
After that was a new show, Son of a Critch........Supposedly the younger life of Critch of 22 Minutes. Pretty good. As a kid. it shows him going to Catholic school and how they were back then I am going to have to point it out to my holy roller sister in law......She will lose it......lol
I used to watch that after I watched Mercer. Haven't really watched it since Mercer went off the air.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I got hooked on CBC Radio decades back when it was the only choice where I lived. You were lucky if the broadcast was in English and not Inuktitut. That was back in the golden years of Peter Gzowski and Vicki Gabereau. It's always been the music and "magazine" shows that have had my attention, and there are still some decent shows on today. The death of Stuart McLean was a huge loss for Canada and CBC. Can't comment on TV content, I just stream these days. If it doesn't have space ships and ray guns I don't watch it.
[/geek]

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Used to get CBC on skip whilst driving late at night.

My favorite was a news piece about a man in Edinburgh, Scotland who opened a cafe and called it "McDonald's." He received the usual threatening letter from McDonalds. Who were a bit surprised to receive a letter back that said. . .

"Gentlemen, I am no expert in American law, but in Scotland I and I alone have property in the name McDonald, and the authority to authorize or refuse its use.

Sincerely,
Iain McDonald
Chief of Clan McDonald
Earl McDonald"

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Okay, I admit, there were two CBC Radio programs I did listen to religiously; Royal Canadian Air Farce and Dr. Bundolo's Pandemonium Medicine Show.

Reactions: Mowich

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Okay, I admit, there were two CBC Radio programs I did listen to religiously; Royal Canadian Air Farce and Dr. Bundolo's Pandemonium Medicine Show.
I liked the TV version of Air Farce too. Missed the new years special they used to do even after they went off the air. Of course the actors are probably ancient by now.

Reactions: Mowich

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As I recall Air Farce came on too late on the west coast for me to watch very often. It was a good show at the time. Also spent a lot of time in Camp where we didn't get a lot of TV until satellite TV came along and then No one much wanted Canadian TV, and it would be way too late to watch.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
In Saskatoon growing up we got a channel that I think was both CTV and CBC. Carried both networks programs or at least some of them. In glorious black and white.
people see in black and white so it makes perfect sense that tvs and tv transmissions would be in black and white. ;) i dont know how people survived black and white television. :(

Reactions: petros