McMichael/Bryan Trial

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
After reading about this, guilty as charged.
If what they're saying is correct (and I wouldn't go that for since the media is often wrong) then they definitely should be charged with first degree murder & let it play out in court. With everything going on now-a-days, I am especially skeptical of any reporting and would rather wait to see what happens in court. If they're guilty, throw the book at them and hope they never see the light of day.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If what they're saying is correct (and I wouldn't go that for since the media is often wrong) then they definitely should be charged with first degree murder & let it play out in court. With everything going on now-a-days, I am especially skeptical of any reporting and would rather wait to see what happens in court. If they're guilty, throw the book at them and hope they never see the light of day.
My understanding of first degree murder is that for that they would have had to have planned to kill him beforehand. Most likely second degree. But some states have felony rules that may trump that -- not sure. But I think second degree murder would be likely what they are guilty of. Intent to kill but no pre-meditation.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
If I were the defense attorney, here's how I'd play it. . .

The McMichaels were effecting a citizen's arrest, which they are entitled under Georgia law to do.

They were armed with shotguns, which is perfectly legal in Georgia.

They "followed Arbery" on public property, which they had every legal right to be on.

Their words to Arbery were perfectly within their rights to say, under the First Amendment.

Arbery made a threatening move toward Travis McMichael, attempting to grab his gun, just as Rosenbaum did to Rittenhouse.

Ergo, McMichael shooting Arbery was self-defense. Just like Rittenhouse.

Should play well to a Georgia jury.
you should have offered your services. ;)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think the verdict is correct .... but can someone explain how there can be so many murder charges per person when only one person was murdered? And one guy is guilty of one of them but not the other.
The prosecutors were giving the jury a range of options on what degree of murder to pick. By picking one, they eliminated the others.

The McMichaels and Bryan were convicted of felony murder, which means they were committing a felony, and the commission of the felony caused a person to die. It's generally considered second-degree murder. The maximum penalty is life with the possibility of parole.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
My understanding of first degree murder is that for that they would have had to have planned to kill him beforehand. Most likely second degree. But some states have felony rules that may trump that -- not sure. But I think second degree murder would be likely what they are guilty of. Intent to kill but no pre-meditation.
Yes, you're correct - I should have said "second" degree murder.