Rex Murphy: Conservatives Are Gutless

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yeah, kind of unrealistic, I'm afraid. Not only would it cost you seats in Quebec but lots in Ontario. There is a way to do it, if you have a really charismatic leader to make up for some losses, and he has a strong Quebec lieutenant who he would say would be his deputy PM if elected and who could represent the party in Quebec. I don't know how it would go over but that would be what I would try.
Cons never got much for seats in Quebec anyway. And by taking a stand it might have garnered more votes in the other provinces where we are tired of having French rammed down our throats.

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
Cons never got much for seats in Quebec anyway. And by taking a stand it might have garnered more votes in the other provinces where we are tired of having French rammed down our throats.
Ontario voters are always sensitive to national unity issues. If you brought in a unilingual leader without a solid effort to reach out to Quebec it would cost you votes there, and possibly elsewhere, like in BC and the Atlantic provinces. The English language media would be even more outraged than the French media.. Anyway, ten seats are not nothing. It's almost as much as they got in all the Atlantic provinces combined.

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
The one you erased.
I have not erased any posts. What was the subject you wanted clarity on. Was it possibly my original answer about Trudeau and his experience before becoming leader? Because i was revealing my age there. My instant thought was it referred to the elder Trudeau. I quickly realized my error after posting and changed it to reflect the likely reference having been to the idiot junior Trudeau.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have not erased any posts. What was the subject you wanted clarity on. Was it possibly my original answer about Trudeau and his experience before becoming leader? Because i was revealing my age there. My instant thought was it referred to the elder Trudeau. I quickly realized my error after posting and changed it to reflect the likely reference having been to the idiot junior Trudeau.
No? Where did the crap about Trudeau's vast experience as an MP go?

Reactions: Twin_Moose

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Trudeau is an incompetent fool. We don't need another. Even if she is from the other side of the spectrum. If we're going to put a unilingual leader up there, and I'm not necessarily opposed to that, there are plenty of smart, long-serving MPs and provincial premiers to choose from.
Why would you want any of these failed MP’s ? All politicians have ever done in my life is raise taxes and blow the treasury . Both parties and a third and fourth provincially , and let’s not get started municipally . We as a country would be better off without career politicians . You

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Are you talking real conservative views or religious wackjob views? They are not the same thing.
What is this religious wack job shit I keep hearing about ? Are you speaking of abortion ?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I'm saying he's like Harper in how tentative and pragmatic Harper was about applying real conservative principles to things. He did nothing about the mess which is natives, didn't dare even try to reform our horribly inefficient health care system to bring in some private care, let the military fall apart, didn't do anything to address how insanely complicated the laws are around developing our natural resources and was afraid to use the notwithstanding clause at all despite several outrageous supreme court rulings.
If that's the only thing the Libs. could attack her over, I'm good with that

Reactions: petros

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
The pendulum will undoubtedly swing the other way at some point. Unchecked government spending will eventually affect our credit score, making it more costly to borrow money. High taxes and an official vendetta against Canadian resources will put people out of work and scare away investors. Increased carbon taxes and a depressed supply of petroleum and natural gas will drive up the cost of living for Canadians who are already struggling to cope with high inflation.

What this country needs is for the Conservative party to take a clear stand against these disastrous policies, so it will be seen as a credible alternative when the Liberals’ house of cards eventually comes crashing down. Until that happens, none of us should be surprised that there are no checks on Justin Trudeau’s relentless drive to vastly increase the size and scope of the Canadian state.
I sent an email to our local Conservative MP and O'Toole. I told them both to get some "balls" and start standing up for Canadians. I told them to start using alternative media, even if using them would result in being called bigots or racists which simply shows that the Leftists don't really have anything worth considering for Canadians. I told them not to be ashamed of being Conservative because they offer the best policies (as long as they're not trying to be liked by everyone) and Conservatives don't believe that Canadians need to be taught what to do, say or think; that we need to get out of the Paris Accord, the U.N. and any other corrupt organization we belong to because they do not have our best interests at heart.

I'm so sick & tired of politicians saying one thing and then doing another when they're elected. We all need to start "hounding" our politicians to have some integrity and do the right thing on behalf of ALL Canadians. And we needn't be nice about it!!!

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
Why would you want any of these failed MP’s ? All politicians have ever done in my life is raise taxes and blow the treasury . Both parties and a third and fourth provincially , and let’s not get started municipally . We as a country would be better off without career politicians . You
That depends entirely on what you get instead. Mulroney had a lot of experience running a large organization but was still a crook. And God save us from an ignorant, narcissistic, sociopathic moron like Trump.

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
Exactly why do you like her? Because lawyers make such great politicians? Because of her great accomplishments in life? It seems me the only reason that she seems to appeal to right-wing conservatives is she's antiabortion and anti-vax. Neither of those positions is going to help the party get elected.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That depends entirely on what you get instead. Mulroney had a lot of experience running a large organization but was still a crook. And God save us from an ignorant, narcissistic, sociopathic moron like Trump.
Why , he tried to do what his voters wanted and was stymied at every turn by bureaucracy, the press and his own party . It was and is a shame . But look at his replacement , I believe he has been playing politics and enriching himself and his family for fifty odd years . Yup says lots for political experience .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Exactly why do you like her? Because lawyers make such great politicians? Because of her great accomplishments in life? It seems me the only reason that she seems to appeal to right-wing conservatives is she's antiabortion and anti-vax. Neither of those positions is going to help the party get elected.
No , but we Canadians have no hard and fast laws on abortion , yet all provincial health department fund them . Whatever the end result the issue must be settled in parliament at some point . I will never cast my vote simply because of the abortion issue but burying it solves nothing and serves no one .As for your anti vac comment , it is the oppositions job description to oppose , if our elected representatives do not question the narrative who will .

Nothing you have said so far does anything to convince this conservative that the PC Party represents my values .

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
You have never read her platform have you? All they got is the French thing on her to bash, the only person better in the party right now IMO is Pierre he is a Pitbull

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You forgot a couple things. Liberals fear an intelligent black woman as a Conservative leader.

If fucks up their stereotyping of what a Conservative should be. Racism and misogyny is the pillar of those beliefs in which they think a Conservative is a white, Christian male.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
An excerpt from an article a year ago for Leslyn Lewis

Lewis’s leadership platform emphasizes fairness within the Conservative Party, its nominations and conventions; a pushback against political correctness; and a repeal of Liberal policies including the carbon tax, the firearms ban and Bills C-69 (which overhauled the federal environmental assessment process) and C-48 (which banned tanker traffic along a stretch of B.C. coastline). She is, to put it charitably, a beginner in French.

Lewis believes her credentials in environmental studies would help convince Canadians that a Conservative government can be trusted on climate change. She promises a balance between economic growth and sustainable development. She would incentivize green tech and introduce tax credits for green home and business renovations. She says she rejects the carbon tax because it “doesn’t change individual behaviour.”

It is no secret that the Conservative Party struggles with how to stay a mainstream electoral option while satisfying its “big tent” of supporters, some of whom, in their wildest dreams, would like to see abortion fully banned in Canada and the debate on gay marriage reopened. Any leader of the party will have to grapple with that dynamic and sustain attacks from across the aisle. Because she identifies as a social conservative, Lewis would face even more of an uphill battle. A Leger poll of 1,554 Canadians in January found 60 per cent of respondents felt a Conservative leader should be pro-choice and 53 per cent felt the leader should be in favour of same-sex marriage. Among Conservatives, 47 per cent wanted a pro-choice leader and 36 per cent wanted a leader who supports same-sex marriage.

The best way to avoid being attacked for having a “hidden agenda” is to not hide your agenda, Lewis says. “I don’t think you need a ploy to get into the broader debate” over social conservative issues, she tells Maclean’s. “The broader debate has already been there. It’s always been a part of our society. I’m not an activist. I’m looking to effect policy, and that means I’m looking to effect policy that the majority of Canadians can agree with. I don’t hide who I am as a person who believes in the sanctity of life, and I don’t hide my views on abortion, but as a policy-maker, my goal is to find things that unite us and that we can agree on.”

In messages to supporters, Lewis has spoken openly about how her own unplanned pregnancy during law school informed her opinions. The policies she proposes include banning sex-selective abortion, measures to protect women from coerced abortions, an increase in support for pregnancy care centres and redirecting foreign aid away from groups that offer abortions.

Lewis also promises to repeal the Liberals’ Bill C-16—legislation that added “gender expression” and “gender identity” as grounds for discrimination protection in the Criminal Code and the Canadian Human Rights Act—because she believes it could threaten people for using “incorrect speech,” a controversial reading of the bill popularized by University of Toronto professor Jordan Peterson.

And she expresses concerns about legislation on the table to ban conversion therapy. Attempting to force someone to change their sexual orientation is “an atrocious thing,” she says. “I actually believe that children who are struggling with their sexuality should be left alone and given support to find out who they are.” But she says the bill, as drafted, doesn’t contain a clear definition and risks penalizing talk therapy or conversations with religious leaders.

Underpinning her forthrightness on all of the above is a concern about “cancel culture” and a narrowing of the range of issues considered acceptable, especially by the progressive left, to debate publicly.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What is this religious wack job shit I keep hearing about ? Are you speaking of abortion ?
Abortion, praying and bible reading in school. There are a few that still want to ban shopping on sunday. Conversion therapy. There is quite a list of rights they want to remove.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Abortion, praying and bible reading in school. There are a few that still want to ban shopping on sunday. Conversion therapy. There is quite a list of rights they want to remove.
But that is a feature of our party electoral system , it is in every party . How one gets a nomination is often through support from their religious congregation . That is how all the various ethnic MP’s and MLA’s get nominated and promote their supporters values . As long as there is political parties Mosques , temples , churches and other congregations will be supporting candidates . What to do , ban all that attend one church or another from running for office ?

And you do understand that many Liberal members have these same views ?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
But that is a feature of our party electoral system , it is in every party . How one gets a nomination is often through support from their religious congregation . That is how all the various ethnic MP’s and MLA’s get nominated and promote their supporters values . As long as there is political parties Mosques , temples , churches and other congregations will be supporting candidates . What to do , ban all that attend one church or another from running for office ?

And you do understand that many Liberal members have these same views ?
There is no place for religion in politics. Amazingly Quebec is doing better at that than the rest of the country.