Biden Addresses Racism Against Asians

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
30 years ago I enjoyed Chinese food, but it just isn't the same anymore. The shit you buy in restaurants probably isn't authentic Chinese food.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
30 years ago I enjoyed Chinese food, but it just isn't the same anymore. The shit you buy in restaurants probably isn't authentic Chinese food.
The Chinese food you liked has been replaced by actual Chinese food. 30 years ago you couldn't get hot pot.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Chinese food you liked has been replaced by actual Chinese food. 30 years ago you couldn't get hot pot.
Nothing we get at most Chinese restaurant today hold a candle to the food we got at Goon Hong's 55 years ago.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Hundreds in Atlanta rally to support Asian Americans after fatal shootings
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:Mar 20, 2021 • 4 hours ago • 2 minute read • comment bubbleJoin the conversation
Demonstrators take to the streets to show support for Asian and Pacific Islander communities on March 20, 2021 in Atlanta.
Demonstrators take to the streets to show support for Asian and Pacific Islander communities on March 20, 2021 in Atlanta. PHOTO BY MEGAN VARNER /Getty Images
Article content
Hundreds of demonstrators gathered outside the Georgia State Capitol in Atlanta on Saturday in support of the Asian American community after a shooting at three local day spas this week left eight people dead, six of them Asian women.

The killings followed a year of mounting anti-Asian violence in the United States, which community leaders say is due to Asian Americans being blamed for the coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China, in late 2019.

Crowds of people wearing masks, waving American flags and carrying posters that read “We are not the virus” and “Stop Asian Hate” stood in front of the golden-domed Georgia State Capitol building on Saturday.

“I want to make sure the world and the people know that I am here and I am visible,” said rally-goer Sunghee Han from Georgia.

“The women who perished, … I see my family in them,” Timothy Phan from Port St. Lucie, Florida, who drove eight hours to attend, told CNN. “I feel like far too often, we’re just erased.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content
Georgia Senators Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, both Democrats elected in January, led the demonstrators in a moment of silence for the victims, video on Twitter showed.

“Let us build a state and a nation where no one lives in fear because of who they are or where they or their family come from,” Senator Ossoff said.

Georgia authorities have yet to determine what drove the suspect, a 21-year-old white man, who was charged with the killings at spas in and around Atlanta on Tuesday. Robert Aaron Long told investigators sex addiction led him to violence, but lawmakers and anti-racism advocates have said anti-Asian bias could have been at least part of the motivation.

“I’m not interested in whether or not he had a bad day,” said Warnock, blasting a comment by an Atlanta-area sheriff’s department spokesman about Long’s state of mind.

“No matter how you want to spin it, the facts remain the same,” Georgia State Representative Bee Nguyen told the crowd. “This was an attack on the Asian community.”

Some of the women killed were immigrants and mothers, described by family and friends as hard-working, loving and beloved.

Hyun Jung Grant was among those killed at Gold Spa in Atlanta. Her son, Randy Park, set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for himself and his brother, who are alone now in the United States while the rest of their family is in South Korea.

“She was a single mother who dedicated her whole life to providing for my brother and I,” Park wrote.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content
The shootings prompted an outpouring of grief, from the local community in Georgia to the halls of U.S. Congress. Since Tuesday, mourners have piled flower bouquets and signs, lit candles and said prayers outside the spas where the victims were killed.

U.S. lawmakers decried the spike in anti-Asian violence in a congressional hearing on Thursday, where Democratic Representative Grace Meng, who is of Taiwanese descent, testified that the “community is bleeding.”

On Friday, President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris met with Asian American community leaders in Georgia to express condolences and implore Americans to stand together against hate.

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
OK, so is it the main idea, or is it the entire ideology? Those are completely different concepts.

I'll be straight with you, Harper. My current conclusion, based on my reading of history, economics, and political science, is that communism does not work in any group that's not small enough for all members to know each other personally, and in point of fact, has never been tried on a larger scale without fatal levels of corruption being built in at the very start.

But my conclusions are always "subject to more information/argument."

Have you studied the various "indigenous Euro-communism" movements? They might be instructive.

For the best, most thoughtful fictional treatment of communism, I'd recommend The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin. It's fiction, but it makes several valuable points, both for and against the communist model.
Your thinking is warped by reading nonsense written by priviledged wealthy parasites with an interest in perpetuating capitalism, a blatantly garbage system that is failing most people indisputably in front of your eyes.

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
The ones born after the 1990 don't want to go back they were not conditioned like their parents and grand parents.
today they're conditioned by liberal capitalism, a system that is going to get us exterminated by global warming and can't even contain a virus because our system prioritized profit over human health and of the health of the earth itself.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
today they're conditioned by liberal capitalism, a system that is going to get us exterminated by global warming and can't even contain a virus because our system prioritized profit over human health and of the health of the earth itself.
Best just die and go to heaven .

• Haha
Reactions: Twin_Moose

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
They are conditioned to freedom of choice like we grew up here unlike their parents and grandparents

Do you have Ukrainian ancestry in your blood? Did you hear the stories growing up of why our great grandparents and grandparents left the bread basket of Europe?

Oh yeah it is now racist to call out Ukrainians or any Eastern Europeans

Reactions: petros

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Mongolian Tatars broke their deal with the Cossacks in the last great battle against Poland, but still took their pay of 10,000 Ukrainian slaves back to Turkey. After that Cossacks were reduced to a mercenary force that helped shape Eastern Europe even becoming Russia's strike force that defeated the Tatars and the Russian Eastern empire.

Mongolians did raise a lot of hell with the Chinese as well though :) paying for it now in re-education camps though

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Twitter posts.

Anyways..

Thousands march in Montreal to denounce the rise of anti-Asian hate crime

Thousands took to the streets of Montreal on Sunday to demonstrate against racism and hate crime, denouncing the stark rise in anti-Asian racism since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.