Biggest U.S. oil refinery shutting because of frigid weather

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
LOL no, it was trumphaters screwing some babies, some trump supporters, and also some of their fellow trumphaters in texas' fault too.
;)
Enrons don't care about victims' politics or age.

But boy will we ever hear about it when they turn the light off on MF's mom's corner though, I bet.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Oh yeah, they put in their entire grid and energy management scheme 3 weeks ago lol

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
As required by law to meet the Honda Accord lower carbon emotion standards.

Guess what, it's a duck!

In SK and Texas we know ducks when we see ducks. It's not a coincidence. We share our ducks. Saskatchewan ducks have been going to Texas for the past 13,000 winters.

Just the other day I took note of something. I took photos too. Lucky I, like Texans can usually forego abucktive reasoning skipping past walks, quacks and swims but this different. I found myself returning to abducktive reason.

Yes, they walked, yes the quaked but these couldnt swim even though fully capable. Even with it being close to sunset it dawned on me. There was no need to sleep on it. It was obvious I came across a new subspecies of duck.

Because they spend a slim majority of their lives at below 0°C these had to named with something fitting.

I would like to take opportunity to introduce you to....

20210226_223908.jpg

The Net Zero Duck.

Alas, this is not the end of the story. I still had to solve yet another mystery. Net Zero Ducks still have bills like other smarter ducks that are in Texas and have yet to elvove beaks.to peck through 50cm of lake ice to eat. I got as far I could without further observation to shore up abducktive reason.

Fortunately it didnt take long to come to the conclusion. Net Zero Ducks are subsidized. Within 30 minutez 3 vehicles pulled up and left. One with a sack Peavy Mart fowl feed mix another with a sack of bread crumb and finally kids with a bag of Cheetos.

Ducks

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Texas’s power disaster is a warning sign for the US

Texas’s grid itself is not what failed. Power went out across Texas in the first place because energy sources across the state were unprepared for severe weather. And that didn’t have to happen; Texas had been warned about this exact scenario and had actually experienced versions of it twice in the past 30 years. But the state didn’t prepare.

Now the rest of the US faces the same issue. Climate change is making severe weather disasters more and more frequent. And the American energy system is not ready for it.

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Texas’s grid itself is not what failed. Power went out across Texas in the first place because energy sources across the state were unprepared for severe weather. And that didn’t have to happen; Texas had been warned about this exact scenario and had actually experienced versions of it twice in the past 30 years. But the state didn’t prepare.

Now the rest of the US faces the same issue. Climate change is making severe weather disasters more and more frequent. And the American energy system is not ready for it.

Yep Green energy enthusiasts trying to cash in on the crises that were in charge of the power grid failed

Reactions: petros and taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

The energy system was doing just fine coping with the weather until some delusional fools decided that solar panels and whirlygigs are immune to weather. This is what happens when dogma overrides reality.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I heard globull warming finally set in. Funny how that always happens around the end of February.

Is it really that funny that you don't pay attention to when it's mentioned at other times of the year?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Texas power grid operator ERCOT urges conservation to avoid blackouts​

June 14, 2021

KSAT
AUSTIN, TX – (ERCOT) – The Electric Reliability Council of Texas is asking Texans to reduce electric use as much as possible today through Friday, June 18. A significant number of forced generation outages combined with potential record electric use for the month of June has resulted in tight grid conditions.

Generator owners have reported approximately 11,000 MW of generation is on forced outage for repairs; of that, approximately 8,000 MW is thermal and the rest is intermittent resources. According to the summer Seasonal Assessment of Resource Adequacy, a typical range of thermal generation outages on hot summer days is around 3,600 MW. One MW typically powers around 200 homes on a summer day.

“We will be conducting a thorough analysis with generation owners to determine why so many units are out of service,” said ERCOT Vice President of Grid Planning and Operations Woody Rickerson. “This is unusual for this early in the summer season.”

According to generation owners, the number of outages should decrease throughout the week.

Wind output for today is expected to be 3,500 to 6,000 MW between 3 and 9 p.m. This is roughly 1,500 MW lower than what is typically available for peak conditions. Wind output is expected to increase as the week goes on.

Today’s peak load forecast may exceed 73,000 MW. The peak demand record for June is 69,123 MW set on June 27, 2018 between 4 and 5 p.m.

Please take these simple actions to help reduce electric use:

• Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher – every degree of cooling increases your energy use by six to eight percent.
  • Turn off lights and pool pumps and avoid using large appliances like ovens, washing machines and dryers.
  • If you don’t need something – we are asking you to turn it off and unplug it if possible.

• Wow