“We’re all in this together, you idiots!”

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Oh FFS people are just going to Kenora and Dryden to do their shopping..

Also who says what is non-essential?? Is a TV or and xBox non-essential. Fukk if you're telling me to go and stay home for a month, I may run out and buy and xBox to keep occupied for the next 30 days.

It's not okay to go to the local Church, small bakery or to a restaurant.. but standing shoulder to shoulder in a Costco, Walmart or Superstore is just fine. The Big Box stores are doing just fine under these restrictions, while all the small businesses are going bankrupt.
Now you know the game plan.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC

VERIFY: Do mask mandates and lockdowns help stop the spread of COVID-19​

>snip<
From a personal perspective, from someone who has had it twice now and the first go around almost died. Yes, wear a mask, social distance, but I don't need my Government enforcing this, or telling me where I can or can't travel.. not that it matters.. I've been all across Canada, the USA and Mexico server times over the last 9 months because of work..
In a perfect world B00Mer, in a perfect world. The sad part is that we are surrounded by people who flatly refuse to mask/distance, claiming their "right" not to do so. These are the idiots Pallister is trying to get through to but I doubt he'll have much luck. For whatever reason we are living in a time when people proudly parade their ignorance like it's some form of enlightenment. These people cannot not be reasoned with.

Reactions: B00Mer

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
>snip<

In a perfect world B00Mer, in a perfect world. The sad part is that we are surrounded by people who flatly refuse to mask/distance, claiming their "right" not to do so.
I have yet to see anyone out making a fuss in a store or restaurant.

There is a group that yells at passing cars and SK Health HQ on Saturdays but that's it.

People have been great.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I have yet to see anyone out making a fuss in a store or restaurant.

There is a group that yells at passing cars and SK Health HQ on Saturdays but that's it.

People have been great.
They are making themselves apparent here in BC's Okanagan Valley. A roving band of "freedom protesters" of a hundred or so has been migrating up and down the valley enticing locals to join them outside malls. Some isolated incidents of people caught on camera acting up after being refused service in various businesses have found their way on to social media, but the numbers are not high. There is always some grumbling in line ups for stores that are at occupation capacity and are "rationing" entry, and still the odd one who shows up without a mask and tries to talk his/her way through. For the most part these numbers have dropped significantly since the new provincial mask mandate provided for fines for non-compliance.

Yes, the majority have been great, and the vocal minority seems to have retreated to facebook. It's just that had this level of compliance held steady from the way we beat back the first surge in the spring we wouldn't be dealing with as cancelled Christmas and suffering business sector. The Okanagan missed the worst of it in the early months and that led to a lot of complacency through the summer. Even though that complacency was refelcted in a sec ond surge of numbers people still would get the message and it took government intervention to bring them into line. That doesn't speak well to the general intelligence of a significant portion of the population.

Reactions: Mowich

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
>snip<

In a perfect world B00Mer, in a perfect world. The sad part is that we are surrounded by people who flatly refuse to mask/distance, claiming their "right" not to do so. These are the idiots Pallister is trying to get through to but I doubt he'll have much luck. For whatever reason we are living in a time when people proudly parade their ignorance like it's some form of enlightenment. These people cannot not be reasoned with.
Sounds like Liberals.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They are making themselves apparent here in BC's Okanagan Valley. A roving band of "freedom protesters" of a hundred or so has been migrating up and down the valley enticing locals to join them outside malls. Some isolated incidents of people caught on camera acting up after being refused service in various businesses have found their way on to social media, but the numbers are not high. There is always some grumbling in line ups for stores that are at occupation capacity and are "rationing" entry, and still the odd one who shows up without a mask and tries to talk his/her way through. For the most part these numbers have dropped significantly since the new provincial mask mandate provided for fines for non-compliance.

Yes, the majority have been great, and the vocal minority seems to have retreated to facebook. It's just that had this level of compliance held steady from the way we beat back the first surge in the spring we wouldn't be dealing with as cancelled Christmas and suffering business sector. The Okanagan missed the worst of it in the early months and that led to a lot of complacency through the summer. Even though that complacency was refelcted in a sec ond surge of numbers people still would get the message and it took government intervention to bring them into line. That doesn't speak well to the general intelligence of a significant portion of the population.

That's fine. They can yell and bang on pots and pans outdoors all they want. If they are harmless and nondestructive let them flex their Rights, our Rights.

They are out getting sunshine which is something that kills viruses.

It's very clear who are truly at risk and those people arent in WalMart, at Church or getting their grade 3.

Tell me this, will you expect this preventative behavior each and every flu and cold season from this point forward since SARSCV2 is now a forever virus just like its 4 mutating siblings that hit us several times a year?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
It's very clear who are truly at risk and those people arent in WalMart, at Church or getting their grade 3.
Is it clear? And what do you mean by "at risk" ? Are you talking risk of contracting the virus or risk of suffering severe symptoms ? Lot's of people catch it and suffer symptoms no worse than a bad flu, but the aged and those with pre-existing conditions are at higher risk and somebody has to carry the virus to them. The big thing with Covid is how easily and quickly it can travel by community transmission, many people are communicable before their actual symptoms show up, and one in five will experience no symptoms at all but are still able to spread the infection. We don't have to look any farther than the US to see how quickly this thing can spread. They hit 15 million total infections early in the day this past Sunday, according to worldometers.com. At the rate their numbers have been climbing they will pass the sixteen million mark today.
Tell me this, will you expect this preventative behavior each and every flu and cold season from this point forward since SARSCV2 is now a forever virus just like its 4 mutating siblings that hit us several times a year?
No, I expect (hope) the vaccine will bring this thing under control eventually and that at worst we may require annual booster shots, like the flu shots that are available. How hard they push that on us will depend on how successful we are at beating back new infections.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You said it yourself "the aged and those with pre-existing conditions are at higher risk and somebody has to carry the virus to them."

So, who would that be that are taking it to them? Pot and pan clangers yelling at buildings? 1.5% of SARSCV2 deaths have been outside of acute care facilities. 98.5% of deaths are in long term care.

If you dont think 98.5% isnt a specific group in a specific setting there is no point in talking to you. Its dug in deep.

Read up on MRSA and how healthcare facilities tried to fight a facility borne penicillin resistant streptococcus and lost. MRSA doesnt care how healthy you were went you went to the ER for a stubbed toe but it will kill you just the same.

As the modern day scourge of the health-care system, hospital-acquired infections such as MRSA afflict 220,000 Canadians each year. The number who die from them - at least 8,000 - is equal to those killed by car accidents and breast cancer combined.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
You said it yourself "the aged and those with pre-existing conditions are at higher risk and somebody has to carry the virus to them."

So, who would that be that are taking it to them? Pot and pan clangers yelling at buildings? 1.5% of SARSCV2 deaths have been outside of acute care facilities.
It makes sense that the virus is coming into those facilities either through visitors or staff. I don't know how it is where you are but visitors have been severely restricted in BC, one appointed family member once a week. There are no restrictions on staff other than daily monitoring like taking temperatures and requiring a disclosure, pretty much the same as you would go through getting on a commercial airline flight. Who is bringing it in is an unknown, but it has to be coming in from the outside. Which takes us back to the community transmission thing.
If you dont think 98.5% isnt a specific group in a specific setting there is no point in talking to you.
It almost sounds like you're saying the loss of that 1.5% is acceptable. Are you ?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It almost sounds like you're saying the loss of that 1.5% is acceptable. Are you ?

Actually it is.. everyone dies, the minute we are born we are dying. People die from Cancer, Heart Disease and other sickness and a higher rate that 1.5% fatality rate.

Car accidents and gun violence, wars and plane crashes.

If it's going to happen, it's going to happen..

What people need to do is not be so focused on death, but living each day like it's their last day on this earth. Travel see the world, do things with family, say I love you to your closest and to those who care about you the most.

All these shut downs and mask mandates do nothing to curb the virus in today's day and age, because while everyone is in lockdown the virus is still being spread. Truckers are still driving to all four corners of the map, people are still travelling by plane, it's 2020 and a globalized world.. there is not way to stop this virus or any other unless you want to hide in a bunker.

Reactions: Aetheric

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Do you expect to see mandatory vaccinations and boosters ? Are you sure these vaccines have no long term affects ?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Do you expect to see mandatory vaccinations and boosters ? Are you sure these vaccines have no long term affects ?
I'm still up in the air about that. For sure I'll let a bunch of guinea pigs step up first, but I expect that choice will be be made for me as my "turn" is not going to come up for a bit. I'm in my sixties but not in any huge risk group. At least I don't think so, does a chronic bad attitude put you at risk?

• Haha
Reactions: B00Mer and Mowich

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I was trying to direct that at Nick Danger . He seems to be putting faith in the vaccine .

• Wow
Reactions: B00Mer