Where's the Thread on "George Floyd" ????

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The question on my mind is that if the article that Walter posted is correct (ie. asphyxiation not the cause), what are the chances that those police would face any consequence at all related to murder charges?
Hard to say. Baltimore was in flames when the cops "rough rode" Freddy Gray to death. Six of 'em were implicated, and DA Marilyn Mosby tried three of 'em to acquittals or hung juries, then flushed the whole prosecution down the toilet. So there's a fair chance Chauvin his buds will walk away laughing (and collecting back pay).

Or maybe the powers that be will throw 'em overboard to placate hoi polloi. Ya never know.

DA Mosby wrote a "gut-wrenching" op-ed in today's Washington Post, so I guess some good came of it. Freddy Gray's mom got about a million. Should keep her in smack for a while.

Just out of curiosity, is this just idle curiosity on your part, current events and all that, or do you have another reason for asking?

I'm here to help, both with the technical legal stuff (such as it is) and the circus.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Hard to say. Baltimore was in flames when the cops "rough rode" Freddy Gray to death. Six of 'em were implicated, and DA Marilyn Mosby tried three of 'em to acquittals or hung juries, then flushed the whole prosecution down the toilet. So there's a fair chance Chauvin his buds will walk away laughing (and collecting back pay).

Or maybe the powers that be will throw 'em overboard to placate hoi polloi. Ya never know.

DA Mosby wrote a "gut-wrenching" op-ed in today's Washington Post, so I guess some good came of it. Freddy Gray's mom got about a million. Should keep her in smack for a while.

Just out of curiosity, is this just idle curiosity on your part, current events and all that, or do you have another reason for asking?

I'm here to help, both with the technical legal stuff (such as it is) and the circus.

My interest cuts across the spectrum. That said, ultimately, those officers were (clearly) heavy handed and I assume that they had at least 1 pair of hand cuffs between that would eliminate the need to kneel on the victim's neck for such an outrageously extended period of time.

That said, the reason that I pose the question is because I assume that a charge of murder requires some form of intent... Incorporate my "if" statement and I can only imagine that the opportunity for the prosecution to generate a successful result becomes far more difficult and somewhat onerous.

So, my question to you is more along the lines of why wouldn't the prosecution lay a charge that is albeit, lesser, but have a far greater probability of being successful rather than risk losing due to the opportunity that death (murder) was caused by a factor not related to asphyxiation?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
My interest cuts across the spectrum. That said, ultimately, those officers were (clearly) heavy handed and I assume that they had at least 1 pair of hand cuffs between that would eliminate the need to kneel on the victim's neck for such an outrageously extended period of time.
Um. . . Mr. Floyd was already cuffed when they decided to kneel down to pray for him.

That said, the reason that I pose the question is because I assume that a charge of murder requires some form of intent... Incorporate my "if" statement and I can only imagine that the opportunity for the prosecution to generate a successful result becomes far more difficult and somewhat onerous.
Not really. What Minnesota calls Murder 3 is an awful lot like what most states call Manslaughter 1. It just includes an element of unreasonableness.
So, my question to you is more along the lines of why wouldn't the prosecution lay a charge that is albeit, lesser, but have a far greater probability of being successful rather than risk losing due to the opportunity that death (murder) was caused by a factor not related to asphyxiation?
Because "murder" is so much crunchier! Do you really think anybody in the Hennepin County DA's office gives two shits if Chauvin walks or not?

By the way, I heard Peter Khill's acquittal was overturned, clearing the way for a re-trial. I was shocked. You can't do that here.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Um. . . Mr. Floyd was already cuffed when they decided to kneel down to pray for him.

Not really. What Minnesota calls Murder 3 is an awful lot like what most states call Manslaughter 1. It just includes an element of unreasonableness.

Because "murder" is so much crunchier! Do you really think anybody in the Hennepin County DA's office gives two shits if Chauvin walks or not?

By the way, I heard Peter Khill's acquittal was overturned, clearing the way for a re-trial. I was shocked. You can't do that here.

POOR PATHETIC T-bonesforbrains

You have already been exposed as a BAD LIAR where cops are concerned!

Why dont you finally break down and stop being a CHICKENSH+T and TELL US WHAT REVISED POLICE TRAINING

would have ensured that an armed nutbar like Philando Castile might not have been shot!!!!!!!!!

You were SO INSISTENT that you had the true vision re cop training - until i started asking questions!

Why SO SHY NOW T-GURLY?

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I'm confused. How in ANY f*cking way does this show the cops what for? Who has this hurt other than the idiots who did it and the innocent people it affected?

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
George Floyd's brother calls for first-degree murder charges and the death penalty for the officers involved in Floyd's death.

Lol, ain't that cute....they actually think there will be a conviction.

Do they forget where they live or something?

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
There is mounting pressure inside the White House for President Trump to make a formal address to the nation from the White House amid the chaos and unrest erupting across the United States.

Why doesn't he?

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
Hannity is on!
Priorities, dude!

He can't. We'll get Donnie Mumbles, grimly slogging through a Teleprompter speech written to sound like a real President would sound, but with his flat, disinterested "this is my first time reading words" affect.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Doesn't matter what Trump says, it will be misconstrued as being racist. He can't win for losing. I just ignore the MSM because they enjoy misinformation (i.e fake news) too much. They can get away with the lies and misinterpretations so they continue without any push back.

They KNOW that Trump didn't encourage violence but hey, that doesn't matter. And to state that Trump "tried" to "walk back" his statement - he didn't "walk back" anything - he clarified his comments for the idiots who didn't understand his comments to begin with. Too bad the education system sucks because maybe then people would actually understand what is being said.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Maybe the police aren't racist.
Maybe they are just a bunch of poorly trained assholes.
Tony Timpa
One from Column A, two from Column B.

And there are "good cops." Really. Lots of 'em.

Problem is, you never know if the cop approaching you is a decent human being who can be trusted with the authority given her, or a roid-raging goon who was too stupid for college, too gutless for the army, and too lazy to work, and hence became a cop.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
One from Column A, two from Column B.
And there are "good cops." Really. Lots of 'em.
Problem is, you never know if the cop approaching you is a decent human being who can be trusted with the authority given her, or a roid-raging goon who was too stupid for college, too gutless for the army, and too lazy to work, and hence became a cop.

If that's the case Tecum then the vetting of potential police officers is truly corrupted! Somehow tho' I don't believe that. Like any other profession, there are bad apples and when they cross the line (like what was done here) the book should be thrown at them.

From what I have read on various news sites, it appears this cop has had previous issues, then whomever let them slide should also meet with some sort of consequence because to allow someone with this type of demeanor out on the street is itself criminal!

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
The question on my mind is that if the article that Walter posted is correct (ie. asphyxiation not the cause), what are the chances that those police would face any consequence at all related to murder charges?

You need to get your order in earlier

It IS NOT THE FAULT OF COPS that the guy was drugged up and had underlying HEART DISEASE when arrested!

It is NOT THE FAULT OF COPS that the goof chose to fight them instead of going along quietly!

It IS NOT THE FAULT OF COPS that the goof chose to commit whatever crime it was that prompted cops to detain him in the first place!

It is NOT THE FAULT OF COPS that the guy was so high on drugs that pepper spray barely slowed him down - hence the NEED for

those FOUR COPS to subdue him!

It is NOT THE FAULT OF COPS that pepper spray - while USEFUL as a HUMANE ALTERNATIVE to shooting a suspect

can also induce BREATHING PROBLEMS - which FLOYD DID DEVELOP!

It is NOT THE FAULT OF COPS that MORONS do not want to believe the autopsy report that STATES THERE WAS NO SIGN

OF ASPHYXIATION in the lungs of the goof and that the underlying heart disease and street drugs plus the stress of

RESISTING ARREST KILLED HIM!

One of our neighbour kids was working part time at a big box chain store - which has a policy of offering financial rewards

to employees who spot and or apprehend shoplifters and the kid spotted a guy stealing - and confronted him!

The thief was on Amphetamines at the time and a fight broke out - with the neighbour kid thinking to FINISH IT QUICKLY

by KNEEING THE THIEF IN THE GROIN!

Such was the feeling no pain / crazy drugged status of the thief that the knee in the groin lifted him a FOOT OFF THE GROUND

and the guy DID NOT FEEL IT!

Cops ROUTINELY run into people who are SO HIGH that Tazers and bean bag guns and pepper spray DO NOT WORK!

Cops subdue criminals as best they can and if that means using weight and FORCE to subdue the prisoner then its

HARD LUCK for the stupid prisoner!

If you dont want to become another "tragedy" on the evening news - then DONT DO STUFF that forces cops to arrest you!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If that's the case Tecum then the vetting of potential police officers is truly corrupted! Somehow tho' I don't believe that. Like any other profession, there are bad apples and when they cross the line (like what was done here) the book should be thrown at them.
From what I have read on various news sites, it appears this cop has had previous issues, then whomever let them slide should also meet with some sort of consequence because to allow someone with this type of demeanor out on the street is itself criminal!
Don't believe me, look up the stats on convictions of killer cops.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
George Floyd's brother calls for first-degree murder charges and the death penalty for the officers involved in Floyd's death.
Lol, ain't that cute....they actually think there will be a conviction.
Do they forget where they live or something?
Use the tried and true method. Hanging at noon. Followed by trial at 13:00.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020

Yeah except how do you get bunches of them all at the same time who chortle about a mans death?

Most damning for Minneapolis police in the murder of George Floyd are the other officers standing around for 9 minutes watching a fellow officer kill a man. That is not a “bad apple”. That is a culture that has rotted to its core.