Ugly American Goes Into Hiding After Killing Cecil The Lion

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Time to move on. Everyone has had ample opportunity to voice their disgust. I blame the powers that be in Africa, he was just doing what he was allowed to do by people who should know better.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Time to move on. Everyone has had ample opportunity to voice their disgust. I blame the powers that be in Africa, he was just doing what he was allowed to do by people who should know better.

in truth, that's what I was thinking all along - let those trouble makers face the long arm of the law and pay the consequences

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
If anyone is to blame for all this it is the government that permits trophy hunting.

This item has been reported more often here in Gopherland than anywhere else because the hunter is from this area. And all reports are that he complied with the law to the last detail. If anything, as you suggest, the problem is the way the law is written and how it is enforced by locals there, not here.

He goes off scot free. Now it's up to that government to alter the law so that this never happens again.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Raffle to bag Cecil the Lion’s kin

By Mike Strobel, Toronto Sun
First posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 03:18 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, January 03, 2016 04:51 PM EST
The new year may be golden for a certain dentist in Minnesota.
Zimbabwe is offering a bargain on killing lions. A mane event, you might say.
Wow. Cecil is still warm in his grave — or on a wall — and already there’s a raffle for the right to bag his cousin.
You’ll remember Cecil. He was the beloved king of Hwange National Park. His untimely death at the hand of Minnesota ivory-puller Walter Palmer last summer caused an uproar around the world.
But Zimbabwean authorities cleared the daring dentist and said he’d be welcome to return.
Now, they’ve offered bait — 100 raffle tickets at US$1,500 apiece for a shot at another lion.
What a steal! Palmer paid $50,000 for Cecil.
The winner will be drawn Feb. 5 at the Safari Club International show in Las Vegas. Prize includes an 18-day safari, and trophy fee.
You can pay extra and kill a zebra or giraffe in your spare time.
Surprise, surprise, the lion raffle is not a hit with animal lovers, who are still mourning Cecil.
“We are shocked and appalled,” the charity LionAid tells London’s Daily Mail on Sunday.
“Sickening!” a Conservative MP declares.
Zimbabwe claims it has a lion glut and needs to cull. Why not raise a little dough while they’re at it? Indeed, the raffle is run by the Bubye Valley Conservancy, which says proceeds will go to lion research.
I’d put some of those funds into public relations training.
Even Hunger Games’ President Snow would concede this hyped-up hunt is too soon after Cecil.
I’ve got mixed feelings about hunting. On Lake Huron’s Manitoulin Island, where I have a cabin, deer-hunting is a way of life — and a fridge-filler. So shoot away, though not on my land.
Lion meat, though, makes most people gag, as a San Francisco restaurant found out when it tried to sell lion skewers recently.
Eating Bambi is one thing. Supping on Simba is another.
So you kill for the thrill. Which is a lot of swill, if you ask me.
Where’s the sport if the lion never wins? It’s not like you even have to sneak up on them. The dastardly dentist’s guides lured Cecil away from the protection of his reserve.
I spent two glorious weeks on a press safari in Kenya, armed with a camera, and I can tell you lions are sitting ducks. I nearly blundered into a sleeping pair while on a stroll down to the Mara River to see hippos.
Our top Kenyan guides had us hip-deep in lions. Two bachelor brothers — lions, not guides — ambled along beside our Land Cruiser for 10 minutes. Perhaps they hoped a juicy journo would tumble off.
They were so close, Mr. Magoo could have bagged them both.
Sport, my furry ***.
I’d tip my hat to Palmer and his ilk if they hunted like the Masai. Men of that tribe venture out into the grass to face the king of beasts with a spear and a shield made of hide. The odds are somewhat fairer than with a .505 bazooka.
I brought back a Masai shield its prior owner claimed had been clawed by a tawny brute. On close inspection, it might also have been gnawed by a mouse.
Now, there’s a sport I’d buy a raffle ticket for:
Mouse safari.
Strobel’s column usually runs Monday to Thursday. Hear him on 94.9 The Rock FM Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
mike.strobel@sunmedia.ca
Raffle to bag Cecil the Lion’s kin | Strobel | World | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Zimbabwe court rules for local hunter in Cecil the lion case
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 07:46 AM EST
HARARE, Zimbabwe — A Zimbabwean court has set aside charges against a professional hunter accused of allowing an American dentist to kill Cecil, a lion whose death in 2015 prompted an international outcry.
Theo Bronkhorst was charged with failing to prevent an illegal hunt after leading dentist Walter Palmer to Cecil, a lion that was popular with tourists and was wearing a GPS collar as part of a research project.
Bronkhorst subsequently applied to a court, arguing that the charge was vague and that the circumstances did not constitute a chargeable offence.
His lawyer, Perpetua Dube, said Friday that the court upheld the application. Dube says prosecutors can still pursue the case.
Zimbabwe initially said it would charge Palmer but later dropped that plan.
Zimbabwe court rules for local hunter in Cecil the lion case | World | News | To

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
South African authorities have confirmed that 9 men were killed and 3 others were severely injured when attacked by a pride of lions in the Kruger National Park.

The victims are local poachers who were illegally hunting for Rhinos inside the boundaries of the national park, when they were surprised by a group of almost ten adult Southwest African lions, the same species as Cecil the Lion, who died a few kilometres from the site in July 2015.

The felines’ attack was so sudden and violent, that nine of the fourteen men were killed, three severely injured and two were only lightly injured, while the animals were mostly unhurt. The survivors abandoned their dead comrades on the site and hurried back to a nearby village for medical care, where they were rapidly arrested.

Skukuza’s spokes-person, William Mabasa, told reporters that the poachers were visibly terrified by their experience and he hopes this incident serves as a lesson to other poachers.

The surviving poachers will now face a wide array of criminal charges if they survive their injuries. The charges brought by prosecutors include illegal-hunting, possession of illegal weapons and contravening the Parks and Wildlife Act.

https://newsatlast.com/2017/06/19/p...&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
lol that hunter ain't gonna take that lion down!

But it makes one wonder about things like the killers of the 500,000 children in iraq during the Clinton era "sanctions" that Madeline Albright says were "worth it"

Do any of those children count on the scale of moral outrage at all?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
South African authorities have confirmed that 9 men were killed and 3 others were severely injured when attacked by a pride of lions in the Kruger National Park.

The victims are local poachers who were illegally hunting for Rhinos inside the boundaries of the national park, when they were surprised by a group of almost ten adult Southwest African lions, the same species as Cecil the Lion, who died a few kilometres from the site in July 2015.

The felines’ attack was so sudden and violent, that nine of the fourteen men were killed, three severely injured and two were only lightly injured, while the animals were mostly unhurt. The survivors abandoned their dead comrades on the site and hurried back to a nearby village for medical care, where they were rapidly arrested.

Skukuza’s spokes-person, William Mabasa, told reporters that the poachers were visibly terrified by their experience and he hopes this incident serves as a lesson to other poachers.

The surviving poachers will now face a wide array of criminal charges if they survive their injuries. The charges brought by prosecutors include illegal-hunting, possession of illegal weapons and contravening the Parks and Wildlife Act.

https://newsatlast.com/2017/06/19/p...&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork
Love it. Love everything about it. :lol: