Ugly American Goes Into Hiding After Killing Cecil The Lion

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It just makes sense, Cliffy, as a matter of fact I think it may be rather presumptuous to think animals don't have these emotions. I know our dog can go into a bit a funk when the grand daughters are away for an extended period. Animals (dogs for one) are very smart.

and as for you.... what the hell does this have to do with the OP or what I have been saying through this entire thread?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
First off, the reply that you quoted was directed specifically to JLM, not to you. My reply to you was in regard solely to your pointed enquiry about my statement that animals are here for us to use. No where in that reply did I demean you or swear. I stated my position. No where did I state that you were a "fu cking idiot" or that you were "making a fool" of yourself.

As for the rest of your post, I brought up the mink and fox to illustrate to JLM that animals DO waste, something he said they don't do. That animals will kill for "fun", which he has implied they won't do. None of that was directed to you as you had not made any statements regarding that.

I posted an article showing what the implications were by "banning" trophy hunting in Africa. The trophy hunts pay for the majority ofm the costs of conservation in those African countries. Without the hunts, they can't afford to pay for conservationists to help stop the poaching problem. Poaching, which is a major problem right now, will become completely out of control as there will be nothing in place to stop or control it.

As much as people may not like the idea of trophy hunting, at this time it does serve a purpose and over all is good for the local economies and helps tremendously with local conservation efforts.
Geriatric onset ADHD.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I didn't say "anyone" "put' the animals on this earth for us to use. It is a fact of life. We ARE at the top of the food chain. We have no competition. The animals ARE there at our discretion. WE decide what we eat and what we don't. WE decide what we hunt and what we don't. Some people have different reason than others, but it still comes down to WE, humans, use animals as we see fit and that includes you from your own admission.

yes, we are actually saying the same thing, we are at the top of the food chain, just don't like the way
you described that they are on this earth for us to use, but yes, it is our decision 'what' happens to
them, and we better do it right, there is too much wrong.

ole pejada does wonderful work 'for' the preservation of many animals in Africa, and works closely with farmers so
that they can run their farm, and the animals also have a place to live, good relations.

they have such a bad time with poaching on their land, so much so that they cut off the rhino horns
themselves to make the rhino on their preserve uninteresting to poachers, sad but necessary.

yes, we decide everything concerning the animals, it is to our best interests for our survival to do
it right, so that we and the animals all survive.

we are arrogant to think the animals are there for us to use, at our discretion, we are so smart that
we should be realizing that we 'all' are equal, people, and animals, but we have the ability to make
sure they survive, we can do that, they don't know how, they don't understand survival like we do,
they only understand how to survive, the will to live, for themselves, we understand all of it.

we have to eat, just like the animals have to eat, we eat them, sometimes they eat us, but not if they
have the land they need to survive. I understand hunting, fishing etc., it is good, but only good if
done right, there is too much wrong.

First off, the reply that you quoted was directed specifically to JLM, not to you. My reply to you was in regard solely to your pointed enquiry about my statement that animals are here for us to use. No where in that reply did I demean you or swear. I stated my position. No where did I state that you were a "fu cking idiot" or that you were "making a fool" of yourself, he has implied they won't do. None of that was directed to you as you had not made any statements regarding that.

I posted an article showing what the implications were by "banning" trophy hunting in Africa. The trophy hunts pay for the majority of the costs of conservation in those African countries. Without the hunts, they can't afford to pay for conservationists to help stop the poaching problem. Poaching, which is a major problem right now, will become completely out of control as there will be nothing in place to stop or control it.

As much as people may not like the idea of trophy hunting, at this time it does serve a purpose and over all is good for the local economies and helps tremendously with local conservation efforts.

yeah, that reply wasn't to me, hmmm, can't take that back now so will move on, when I dispute trophy hunting, I'm not pointing my finger
at the actual hunting, but to the poaching, and using parts of the animal for ridiculous Chinese
medical healing and trinkets etc.
I would hope the trophy hunters make sure the meat from their animals go to feed people, and isn't just
left on the ground, unless there are many animals in the area that will eat all of it before it rots.

glad those names were for jlm, and not me. lol
sorry jlm, but I don't want them, you can deal with them. lol

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
First off, the reply that you quoted was directed specifically to JLM, not to you. My reply to you was in regard solely to your pointed enquiry about my statement that animals are here for us to use. No where in that reply did I demean you or swear. I stated my position. No where did I state that you were a "fu cking idiot" or that you were "making a fool" of yourself.

And you think it's any less insulting to call me a "fu cking idiot", A$$hole? Every time you do that you lose a little more credibility!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
yes, we are actually saying the same thing, we are at the top of the food chain, just don't like the way
you described that they are on this earth for us to use, but yes, it is our decision 'what' happens to
them, and we better do it right, there is too much wrong.

For the most part, yes we are. The difference is, when I was talking to you, I wasn't trolling for a preconceived answer. You assign "religion" to far too much of what I post. It's because you really haven't paid attention to what I have said concerning religion. That's not my problem, it's yours. It means you jump to conclusions based on faulty, or limited information.

when I dispute trophy hunting, I'm not pointing my finger
at the actual hunting, but to the poaching, and using parts of the animal for ridiculous Chinese
medical healing and trinkets etc.
I would hope the trophy hunters make sure the meat from their animals go to feed people, and isn't just
left on the ground, unless there are many animals in the area that will eat all of it before it rots.

Trophy hunting and poaching are 2 different animals. Yes, sometimes the line get's crossed, which may very well have happened in this instance, but the vast majority are legal hunts that put a lot of money into the local economy and into the local conservation efforts.

Blurring the line between legal trophy hunters and poachers is no different than blaming hunters and fishers here in North America for the poachers on this continent.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
And you think it's any less insulting to call me a "fu cking idiot", A$$hole? Every time you do that you lose a little more credibility!
Gerry is a self admitted azzhole and proud of it, so calling him one is not an insult. You need to come up with something more colourful.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

When the shoe fits...........................

good ole religious folk always like to call others fools or morons. dedicated to the core

I'm no where near a "good ole religious folk". I just call em as I see em.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm no where near a "good ole religious folk". I just call em as I see em.

Oh I get it, when you disagree with another's opinion you resort to filth and insults!

Gerry is a self admitted azzhole and proud of it, so calling him one is not an insult. You need to come up with something more colourful.

You got him pegged, Cliffy! I'm just wondering which colour to try. :)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh I get it, when you disagree with another's opinion you resort to filth and insults!

You got him pegged, Cliffy! I'm just wondering which colour to try. :)

Read my avatar jlm..... it applies to you on so many levels.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
When do you plan on moving out of your glass house?

You have yet to make your case that animals are "better" than humans. As a matter of fact I showed you examples of how they, at the least, aren't any different. They waste, they kill for fun, they kill for territory, need I go on? Like I've said before, prove me wrong jlm. Prove me wrong.

One of the concerns voiced when Cecil was killed, was that any male lion moving in to take over his pride, would kill all of his offspring. How is this "better" than humans, jlm.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Your arguments are stupid Gerry, I can pick instances where animals are better and you can pick instances where humans are better, animals kill, often to survive, human kill often out of greed, sometimes in self defense so the entire argument is stupid. My original premise was correct.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
For the most part, yes we are. The difference is, when I was talking to you, I wasn't trolling for a preconceived answer. You assign "religion" to far too much of what I post. It's because you really haven't paid attention to what I have said concerning religion. That's not my problem, it's yours. It means you jump to conclusions based on faulty, or limited information.

Trophy hunting and poaching are 2 different animals. Yes, sometimes the line get's crossed, which may very well have happened in this instance, but the vast majority are legal hunts that put a lot of money into the local economy and into the local conservation efforts.

Blurring the line between legal trophy hunters and poachers is no different than blaming hunters and fishers here in North America for the poachers on this continent.

I watch lots of documentaries on tv concerning conservation, hunting, fishing, tropjy hunting, I find it
all very interesting and the animals for me are amazing. I love this wild country, away from the
cities, the far north. we travelled from prince George back and forth to prince Rupert a few times,
and I hunted with my husband in the deadman's creek area near Savona, and also highland valley near
Ashcroft, and he has hunted many many places throughout b.c. with his hunting buddies over the years,
he has loved fishing and hunting since I met him when he was 14, a true sportsman.

last duck season, he and his partner shot many many ducks,all retrieved by our choc. lab, 'buddy, huge flocks right here
in the comox valley, all were donated to the upper island retriever club, where they freeze them and
they are used for training and testing under the sanction of the Canadian kennel club.

the Canadian hunting and fishing shows are great, but I have a problem with many of the American shows, far
too animated and phony, as soon as that camera is on them, they perform, and I change the channel.

yeah, legal hunts are fine, just use the meat for a good purpose, whether it is left for animals, or
taken to feed people, it must be used.

yes, trophy hunting and poaching are very different.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Your arguments are stupid Gerry, I can pick instances where animals are better and you can pick instances where humans are better, animals kill, often to survive, human kill often out of greed, sometimes in self defense so the entire argument is stupid. My original premise was correct.

Let me get this straight. You say your original premise is correct on the one hand, and on the other hand you state that the entire argument is stupid. So, the argument that animals are better than humans is stupid? Or is it my take that they aren't any better, that is stupid? Just wanting to clarify.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The following is my original statement on the subject, so there is no use trying to put false words in my mouth..................................................."And yet they are so superior in many ways!", which is quite a bit different from saying they are superior. :) :) :) :)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Bad taste Halloween costume of the year? Dress up as Cecil, the lion's killer
Postmedia Network
First posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 02:30 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, August 27, 2015 03:09 PM EDT
Wondering what to wear for Halloween? Are you a jackass? If the answer is yes to both these questions, you might want to consider one retailer's new costume: Lion Killer Dentist.
The costume, available from costumeish.com, features a bloody dentist smock and gloves, dentist tools, and a stuffed lion's head.
The getup, a homage to the American trophy hunter who killed a popular and protected African lion named Cecil while on a safari, retails for US$99.99.
"All Doctor Palmer wanted was to hang dead animals in his house, but what started as an obscure (if legally dubious) hunting trip has since erupted into a brouhaha of trans-Atlantic proportions," reads the description of the costume.
And because costumeish.com obviously cares so much, the company has pledged 15% of proceeds will go "to a Wildlife Foundation," which is capitalized despite not naming a specific charity.
Lion Killer Dentist costume. (costumeish.com/Postmedia Network)

Bad taste Halloween costume of the year? Dress up as Cecil, the lion's killer |