(in part)
The US-led coalition's bombing of Damascus-led forces besieged by Daesh in the city of Deir ez-Zor constitutes a "massacre," writer and activist Dr. Tim Anderson told Radio Sputnik, adding that the airstrike is unlikely to have been unintentional despite the Pentagon's claims to the contrary.
"There are a number of circumstances around US operations in Deir ez-Zor that suggest it's not likely to have been an accident because [Daesh] and the Syrian Army have been engaged there for a very long time. The US has not intervened at any time to prevent Daesh from moving westward for example when they took Palmyra last year. So it's a very unexpected move and it seems to be deliberate," he said. The academic expert in economics and international politics from the University of Sydney further noted that
if the airstrike was indeed a calculated move then it was a "strange" one because the US clearly "has never had a stomach" for launching a large-scale military intervention in Syria.
Read more:
https://sputniknews.com/politics/20160919/1045455561/us-airstrike-syrian-army.html
Are they out of their minds?? The US (and NATO) have been supporting foreign fighters since the conflict began about 5 years ago. Talk about pure horse-sh*t.
(in part)
The head of the Turkish state explained that US soldiers' attitude toward Syrian opposition triggered the rift.
ANKARA (Sputnik) – The Turkish armed forces have led 30 US special forces members out of a potential conflict zone with the Free Syrian Army (FSA) rebel group in northern Syria, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday. "The FSA does not want the US special forces’ assistance because of the US’ behavior in relation to the Syrian opposition. Our troops led out 30 US special forces soldiers [from the armed conflict zone with the FSA]," Erdogan told reporters before departing for the UN General Assembly. Online footage circulated over the weekend appeared to depict FSA fighters threatening US special forces ostensibly accompanying them to the town of al-Rai ahead of an offensive on al-Bab to clear of the Daesh jihadist group.
Read more:
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160919/1045456703/us-commandos-fsa-erdogan.html
More horse-sh*t because if the US was there to route the Rebels they would have been killed on the spot. They were chased away because they were most likely setting up a suicide mission which is what happened to the Rebel fighters after they took the area that the US bombed (in that they are the authority over all the coalition aircraft in the area). The Syrian Government has retaken the area so the Rebels got nothing for their trouble.
(in part)
At about 5pm on Saturday, two US F-16 fighter bombers and two A-10 specialised ground attack aircraft bombed what they believed was a concentration of Isis fighters besieging pro-government forces in the city of Deir Ezzor in eastern Syria.
Whoever it was in the US Air Force who had misidentified the target as Isis made a disastrous error; the US planes were attacking Syrian Army soldiers fighting Isis at a position called Jebel Tharda close to Deir Ezzor airport. The city has been besieged by Isis for over a year and 110,000 civilians are trapped inside. By the time the US bombing raid was over it had killed at least 62 Syrian soldiers and injured another 100, enabling Isis to overrun the survivors before being forced to retreat by a counter-attack backed by Russian airstrikes.
The mistake and heavy Syrian Army casualty list symbolises the continuing failure to implement the agreement reached between the US and Russia on 10 September. Its main points are a ceasefire in Syria, the unimpeded entry of UN aid convoys into besieged areas, and a joint US-Russian air campaign against Isis and Jabhat al-Nusra, the former Al-Qaeda affiliate in Syria relabelled as the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham. Of these requirements only an increasingly shaky ceasefire is in place so far.
Worse, the US and Russia are belabouring each other at the UN Security Council in New York, with the Russians accusing the US of complicity with Isis and the US claiming that Russia is opportunistically taking advantage of a targeting error for which the US has apologised. The Russian Foreign Ministry said today that the whole ceasefire accord, agreed after 10 months of negotiations between the two biggest players in the Syrian conflict, is close to unravelling.
The strength of the agreement should be that it was put together by the US, as the world’s sole superpower, and Russia, which aspires to that status. Each should be able to influence allies and proxies into implementing the ceasefire, but so far this is not happening. There are many armed clashes and 40 trucks filled with supplies for the 250,000 to 275,000 people trapped in rebel-held East Aleppo are still stuck on the Turkish border. Supposedly moderate US-backed rebel groups are meant to be separating themselves geographically from al-Nusra, but they remain intermingled with it.
After USAF Strikes on Syrian Army US-Russian Negotiated Ceasefire Close to Unraveling