Ontario and, Quebec Play key Role in Oil Collapse

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Kinda hard to blame them, if this place is representative of the hate the big, flat provinces have for them.

One eighth of the country thinks that two thirds of the country are enemies of the country because of where they live. Does that make sense to you? If this place really is a democracy if some sort, one can only conclude that the whiny one eighth that is the enemy of the country.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
One eighth of the country thinks that two thirds of the country are enemies of the country because of where they live. Does that make sense to you? If this place really is a democracy if some sort, one can only conclude that the whiny one eighth that is the enemy of the country.

Ontario is the enemy of the country. Always has been. Soon Ontario will be a has been province if it isn't already as the bases of financial power move west to where the action is.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ah, I see. It's the Ay-rabs what's doin' it. And not because they need money or are engaged in short-sighted politics, but rather because they wanna DESTROY CANADA! (or possibly RUSSIA!).

Concluding that people who're doing their own thing for their own reasons are attacking you is a classic clinical symptom of paranoia.

Ontario is the enemy of the country. Always has been. Soon Ontario will be a has been province if it isn't already as the bases of financial power move west to where the action is.
RCS, in case you were wondering what I meant by "the hatred the big flat provinces have for Ontario and Quebec," look no further.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Ah, I see. It's the Ay-rabs what's doin' it. And not because they need money or are engaged in short-sighted politics, but rather because they wanna DESTROY CANADA! (or possibly RUSSIA!).

Concluding that people who're doing their own thing for their own reasons are attacking you is a classic clinical symptom of paranoia.

RCS, in case you were wondering what I meant by "the hatred the big flat provinces have for Ontario and Quebec," look no further.
I am pretty sure that taxslave comes from that mountainous province near the pacific ocean .

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Why aren't the Maritime Provinces accountable? If they can't figure out a way to import flatlander oil, or sell Canadians on a way to do it, then they should hire a sales training outfit to shape themselves up.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I am pretty sure that taxslave comes from that mountainous province near the pacific ocean .
I'm pretty sure somebody cares.

Why aren't the Maritime Provinces accountable? If they can't figure out a way to import flatlander oil, or sell Canadians on a way to do it, then they should hire a sales training outfit to shape themselves up.
Because we don't hate the Maritimes, we hate Ontario and Quebec.

Do try to keep up.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Now all Alberta has to do is install an arrow pointing to BC and the words 'They went that a way.' on it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Irving Oil has enjoyed locking up the Maritime Provinces and buys all its oil from the Saudi's and the Venezuelans. The Premier of New Brunswick has been begging for a pipeline. He even called Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre out of touch. Why do you think Rick Mercer ( a proud Newfoundlander living in Ontario) went on a rant about pipelines.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm pretty sure somebody cares.

Because we don't hate the Maritimes, we hate Ontario and Quebec.

Do try to keep up.
You seem to care . You suggested taxslaves comment came from flatlanders hate of Ontario and Quebec , I had to correct you . I know you hate to be wrong and cannot stand correction , but there you go .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Newfs have oil. You never knew that?

Concluding that people who're doing their own thing for their own reasons are attacking you is a classic clinical symptom of paranoia
who is doing their own thing? Do you know what is going on in Syria and why?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Wow, you believe that two so-so Provinces wield that sort of global power? News flash: they don't and if we did the international oil companies would be owned by us.

Just to clarify, I mean Canadian Oil Collapse. Ontario and Quebec are the two provinces that hold the largest populations in the Country. Ontario at around 13,792,052 and Quebec at 8,263,600 according to 2015 statistics. The bulk of their fuel is bought foreign rather than domestic, while Western Provinces are buying their oil from Canada.

It only makes sense to purchase our oil here in Canada, the benefit is job creation, money injected back into our national economy via dollars to all provinces both through transfer payments and migrant workers who send their money back to the provinces.

However, this is being stalled by short sighted politicians who have essentially been bribed by special interest. A group that sees no risk to the environment running tankers into our Great lakes and waterways, across the oceans or even buying from Countries whose human rights abuses are a matter of public record.

So, the two provinces mentioned are playing a key role by buying from the same foreign producers who are attempting to wipe out their competitors. Canada should be protecting it's own interest by dumping foreign oil and buying at home.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
...It only makes sense to purchase our oil here in Canada, the benefit is job creation, money injected back into our national economy via dollars to all provinces both through transfer payments and migrant workers who send their money back to the provinces.

However, this is being stalled by short sighted politicians who have essentially been bribed by special interest. A group that sees no risk to the environment running tankers into our Great lakes and waterways, across the oceans or even buying from Countries whose human rights abuses are a matter of public record.

I think that near the bottom of this issue you will find a growing opposition to fossil fuels in general. We could argue the right and wrong of this until the cows come home but it is fact that the negative press the petro industry has taken in recent years is its toll. Informed or not, the general public is more and more taking an "oil = bad" stance and are gaining the ear of our elected officials who, unfortunately, see no difference between an informed vote and an uninformed one because at the end of the day it is votes that fuel the political engine.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I think that near the bottom of this issue you will find a growing opposition to fossil fuels in general. We could argue the right and wrong of this until the cows come home but it is fact that the negative press the petro industry has taken in recent years is its toll. Informed or not, the general public is more and more taking an "oil = bad" stance and are gaining the ear of our elected officials who, unfortunately, see no difference between an informed vote and an uninformed one because at the end of the day it is votes that fuel the political engine.

Growing opposition to oil while people commute to Toronto and Montreal. Until someone comes up with a viable alternative we will continue to use fossil fuel. If it were to stop flowing the City of Yellowknife would lose its main sort of heat and electricity. I am not opposed to alternative energy, I endorse it. But to buy from a crook who is putting the legitimate business man out of business is all kinds of hypocritical.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Growing opposition to oil while people commute to Toronto and Montreal. Until someone comes up with a viable alternative we will continue to use fossil fuel. If it were to stop flowing the City of Yellowknife would lose its main sort of heat and electricity. I am not opposed to alternative energy, I endorse it. But to buy from a crook who is putting the legitimate business man out of business is all kinds of hypocritical.

I can't argue with any of that but still, it is the voter that rules the day when it comes to which direction our elected officials take and the harsh reality is that voters are easily swayed. Who gets more air time, the CEO of Suncor or CNRL (does anyone even know their names?) or David Suzuki?

The Energy East pipeline makes perfect sense to anyone who thinks about it for more than five minutes, but why is it our elected officials don't want to go anywhere near the issue? Maybe because Ma & Pa Green think it's a bad thing to promote greater use of Alberta oil?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That may be so , but to judge by the numbers , the other weekend in Vancouver an auto show drew 100,000 plus paying customers.
Despite anti oil sentiment the car isn't going anywhere soon .

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
J
So, the two provinces mentioned are playing a key role by buying from the same foreign producers who are attempting to wipe out their competitors. Canada should be protecting it's own interest by dumping foreign oil and buying at home.
I agree with you, somebody higher up than Harper is responsible for the arms deals to that Saudi Regime just as it above the Governments of Ontario and Quebec to decide where the oil is purchased from and in this case it is to keep Saudi with customers.

Saudi would have invested differently if they had planned a long term glut, this price drop is equal to them cutting their own throats on Wall St. The oil companies came through without losing any real money so that should be the first suspect in who is causing the 'depression'. It isn't like they actually warned anybody that it was coming, point number 2 as to why they are the culprits.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
That may be so , but to judge by the numbers , the other weekend in Vancouver an auto show drew 100,000 plus paying customers.
Despite anti oil sentiment the car isn't going anywhere soon .

True. But I wonder how many of those attending would actively come out in support of Alberta oil and how many would be all to eager to wave a green flag? The whole game is rife with hypocrisy. It's all too fashionable to claim environmental responsibility, but lots of folk walk past the Hummer in their driveway to put out their recycle bin and never give it a thought.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Ontario is the historic, population and economic core of the country. The periphery in every federation on earth always resents the center. You are no different.

Last edited: