At least 2,250 of Canada’s veterans are homeless due to alcoholism, drugs and mental

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
What Cannuck is trying to do here is distract from the fact that he opened his mouth before thinking and he's too much of a wimp to stand up and admit it.

The key issues that separate homeless veterans from homeless civilians are the circumstances which brought them to either mental or substance abuse issues. Civilian authorities are not equipped to understand these issues, because they have not been tasked with treatment for combat soldiers. It is a whole other kettle of fish. It is also one with which I have been involved on a personal level.

Ignorance of the subject is not a sin, but trying to marginalize it to save ones fragile ego is kind of despicable.

Why don't we just deal with the homeless problem regardless of the career choice (or lack of career choice) of the homeless people.

Here's a thread about that.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The key issues that separate homeless veterans from homeless civilians are the circumstances which brought them to either mental or substance abuse issues. Civilian authorities are not equipped to understand these issues,

Yes, because police officers, firefighters, EMS and emergency room workers don't get PTSD.

It is a whole other kettle of fish.

Yes, everybody is special.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
EMS workers are committing suicide, around here.

Anyone who has police relatives would know how the job changes them.

Yeah, but you see the op is about Homeless Veteran's which Cannuck has made every attempt to marginalize. That is why he throws out every comparison, but ignores the stupidity of his first statement.

If it was his intent to derail the thread, as I suspect it was, he has accomplished that.

I don't read many of your posts. Perhaps you should raise the maturity level
Yup, but apparently soldiers are special somehow.

Watching you come unraveled is pretty damned entertaining.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, but you see the op is about Homeless Veteran's which Cannuck has made every attempt to marginalize. That is why he throws out every comparison, but ignores the stupidity of his first statement.

If it was his intent to derail the thread, as I suspect it was, he has accomplished that.

It's a little unusual to see Forces personnel being dissed like that by a Canadian. Fortunately, the population seems to be overwhealmingly behind the veterans. Unfortunately, that still doesn't translate into proper action by VA.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Watching you come unraveled is pretty damned entertaining.
It's just the Jerk's need to have the last word...........

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's a little unusual to see Forces personnel being dissed like that by a Canadian. Fortunately, the population seems to be overwhealmingly behind the veterans. Unfortunately, that still doesn't translate into proper action by VA.

I think they're doing a pretty good job, all things considered. As I said, it appears the homeless rate of veterans is less than the general public.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Cannuck

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
This can happen even if the parent is not in the military.

Diplomats, merchants, certain classes of teachers, and people working in the airline industry are among the first to come to mind as far as transfers go.

On the PTSD front, maybe RCMP officers are the closest parallel given that they may transfer often too.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

With idiots like Cannuck, it's not that hard to fathom.

There is a distinct difference between saying that you are there and actually being there . If Canadian's were really there for the Veterans, we would have a lot less of these problems. It would not end the issue, but it would certainly thin the homeless problem among vets. There would still be individuals who would fall the the cracks.

Cutting a check to a double amputee for $100,000 and saying "Thanks for your service and then relinquishing all responsibility." is not the answer and that is essentially what the new veterans charter does.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I think they're doing a pretty good job, all things considered. As I said, it appears the homeless rate of veterans is less than the general public.

It should be zero all around. If veteran's homelessness directly derives from the affects of their service, we have a collectve obligation to help them that goes along with our sending them into harm's way, in the first place.

BTW, No matter how hard done by we may feel financially or how much we moan about taxes, Canada is rich enough and the numbers is of Vets involved is small enough that we can afford to fix this problem with almost no hardship at all to any of us. It is shameful that we don't.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Diplomats, merchants, certain classes of teachers, and people working in the airline industry are among the first to come to mind as far as transfers go.

I had to move to Alberta from BC to find work in 2001. I left half my adult kids in BC. I'm none of the above.

On the PTSD front, maybe RCMP officers are the closest parallel given that they may transfer often too.

and this has nothing to do with Homeless vets, which is what this thread is SUPPOSED to be about.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

We generally have 6 officers here at any one time and it is pretty much a given that at least one is on stress leave at any given time. I honestly can't remember a time when there wasn't one on leave.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Those that have seen combat in Afghanistan or been involved in a gun battle would definitely parallel what a veteran would experience, but the RCMP has programs that are better equipped for this sort of thing and they have been around a very long time. The Armed Forces, in particular Canada's Veteran's have been virtually ignored.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Cannuck, if you ever find those dried up figs you called testicles, you give me a shout and we can go head to head on your original post. Until then, I'll leave you to derail.