Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Norman Spector ‏@nspector4

Uh, oh.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
So, Mr. Volkwagon, suck it up and spend the money to fix the stuff. You'd still make a profit, yes?

It's hard to believe that Skoda is still around. Geeez. I just took a look and what they make that isn't just plain ugly, still looks like any other oversized electric razor on the road. Well, at least a handful of companies make vehicles that are distinguishable from others (without looking at the emblems).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If I was a government regulator, I would void all clean emission results from VWs. I would also mandate that re-tests be funded by VW as well as a good % of any required repairs to get it compliant. This is after VW fixes the problem of course.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Just another EPA tax grab. VW knows it's cheaper to admit wrong-doing than to drag it through the courts for years. EPA needs to be abolished.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Just another EPA tax grab. VW knows it's cheaper to admit wrong-doing than to drag it through the courts for years. EPA needs to be abolished.

You do realize it's more they than the USA they have been tricking.....

Germany's transport minister announced the carmaker had manipulated test results for about 2.8 million vehicles in the country, nearly six times as many as it has admitted to falsifying in the United States, pointing to cheating on a bigger scale than previously thought.

Volkswagen picks company veteran to tackle emissions crisis | Reuters

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Cool. German economy may get a boost when it fines and taxes the p out of VW. Germany has things like water purity laws and stuff like that. I would imagine it has similar laws for air.
:D

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Cool. German economy may get a boost when it fines and taxes the p out of VW. Germany has things like water purity laws and stuff like that. I would imagine it has similar laws for air.
:D
Actually, that's the Beer Purity Law. Germans don't give a damn about the water because nobody drinks it.

Seriously, beer is literally cheaper than water in Germany.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually it IS the German Water Purity Law, but it's nicknames are the "German Beer Purity Law" and "The Bavarian Beer Purity Law". Most Germans call it "Reinheitsgebot".

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Actually it IS the German Water Purity Law, but it's nicknames are the "German Beer Purity Law" and "The Bavarian Beer Purity Law". Most Germans call it "Reinheitsgebot".
I know. Just funnin'.

Lived in West Berlin for four years. Visit Deutschland at least once a year. Nice place. Good people.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I know. Just funnin'.

Lived in West Berlin for four years. Visit Deutschland at least once a year. Nice place. Good people.
Aaahhh Funnin' is cool.
I agree, Germans are a lovely people. A friend/neighbour in the Okanagan is German. He taught me lots about gardening. His daughter and I went to college together. And I love German food (among others). My preferred lager is Weinhenstefaner. hehe

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
New cars, including the Mercedes A, C and E class, BMW 5 series and Peugeot 308, are now swallowing around 50% more fuel than their lab test results, new on-the-road results compiled by Transport & Environment (T&E) reveal. The gap between official and real-world performance found in many car models has grown so wide that it cannot be explained through known factors including test manipulations. While this does not constitute proof of ‘defeat devices’ being used to fiddle fuel economy tests, similar to that used by Volkswagen, EU governments must extend probes into defeat devices to CO2 tests and petrol cars too.

The gap between official test results for CO2 emissions/fuel economy and real-world performance has increased to 40% on average in 2014 from 8% in 2001, according to T&E’s 2015 Mind the Gap report, which analyses on-the-road fuel consumption by motorists and highlights the abuses by carmakers of the current tests and the failure of EU regulators to close loopholes.

By exploiting loopholes in the test procedure (including known differences between real-world driving and lab simulations) conventional cars can emit up to 40-45% more CO2 emissions on the road than what is measured in the lab. But the average gap between test results and real-world driving is more than 50% for some models. Mercedes cars have an average gap between test and real-world performance of 48% and their new A, C and E class models have a difference of over 50%. The BMW 5 series and Peugeot 308 are just below 50%. The causes of these big deviations have to be clarified as soon as possible.

Greg Archer, clean vehicles manager at T&E, said: “Like the air pollution test, the European system of testing cars to measure fuel economy and CO2 emissions is utterly discredited. The Volkswagen scandal was just the tip of the iceberg and what lies beneath is widespread abuse by carmakers of testing rules enabling cars to swallow more than 50% more fuel than is claimed.”

more

http://www.ademloos.be/nieuws/some-mercedes-bmw-and-peugeot-models-consuming-around-50-more-fuel-official-results-new-study

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The real problem is the way EPA tests are administered. Obviously the vehicle that gets the most MPG is the greenest. But that is not how they chose to measure emmissions.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The real problem is the way EPA tests are administered. Obviously the vehicle that gets the most MPG is the greenest. But that is not how they chose to measure emmissions.

I view this as VW knowingly falsified these tests and got caught. They now deserve everything that is coming to them. Likely VW is done when all said and done.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
TO: All Employees
DATE: 15 Sep 2015
SUBJECT: Let Me Rephrase That

What I meant was "does anyone have any ideas for improving fuel economy in our diesel cars while still meeting air quality standards WITHOUT perpetrating a massive fraud on the public, violating the law in 68 countries, and destroying the company?"

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I view this as VW knowingly falsified these tests and got caught. They now deserve everything that is coming to them. Likely VW is done when all said and done.

As I understand it they didn't really falsify the tests. The cars will pass, just won't get very good fuel economy doing it. So the computer is rigged to make them run at one setting when doing the test and another setting for real world. The effect is that the cars run much more efficient which to my mind is most important. Logically the vehicle that burns the least amount of fuel per mile is the lowest polluter.The whole EPA testing regime is skewed. The earliest examples of defeating the rules were air pumps. All it did was pump clean air into the exhaust to show a lower PPM at the tailpipe but used more fuel to run the air pump. MOre modern vehicles have mufflers that cost $750 and up that reburn particulate to meat test results but again are less fuel efficient to do it.