Abolish the Senate

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'm afraid that it is pretty much impossible to rid ourselves of these parasites.

I suggest the "French" solution with a full blown revolution and a guillotine set up on the Sparks Street Mall.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm afraid that it is pretty much impossible to rid ourselves of these parasites.

I suggest the "French" solution with a full blown revolution and a guillotine set up on the Sparks Street Mall.

Nothing much will happen until the "Marie Antoinette attitude" is gone. I watched one senator, David Tkachuk, I believe discussing his entitlements like he wasn't sure what he was entitled to. Christ Almighty does it not cross his mind that the typical Canadian taxpayer is struggling and common sense should tell him only dire necessities to travel should be claims. You don't charge f**king trips to the taxpayer to bury your mother in law or your mother for that matter. 8O

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Give them an apprentice that has just graduated university, containment is kinder than extermination and hopefully the younger generation can emerge with their morals still intact.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Nothing much will happen until the "Marie Antoinette attitude" is gone. I watched one senator, David Tkachuk, I believe discussing his entitlements like he wasn't sure what he was entitled to. Christ Almighty does it not cross his mind that the typical Canadian taxpayer is struggling and common sense should tell him only dire necessities to travel should be claims. You don't charge f**king trips to the taxpayer to bury your mother in law or your mother for that matter. 8O
Nothing much will happen at all because of the requirement of a constitutional ammendment. The sun will go nova and the world will come to an end long before all the provinces agree on anything.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
well then if the senate is going to sit, they have to come up with an expense plan that is black and white and if there is any question at all that has to mean no

• it also has to be publically accessible and any hidden funds revealed and they are fired
  • if you don't turn up you are fired
  • no life time pensions for a few days of work folks, you are serving your country like a good Canadian...sort of like doing jury duty

add to the list as you will

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
well then if the senate is going to sit, they have to come up with an expense plan that is black and white and if there is any question at all that has to mean no

• it also has to be publically accessible and any hidden funds revealed and they are fired
  • if you don't turn up you are fired
  • no life time pensions for a few days of work folks, you are serving your country like a good Canadian...sort of like doing jury duty

add to the list as you will

It's totally partisan in its current form. There are only Liberal and Conservative Senators and they in no way represent a cross section of anything more than an expensive golf and country club.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's totally partisan in its current form. There are only Liberal and Conservative Senators and they in no way represent a cross section of anything more than an expensive golf and country club.
I agree, I see no benefit to us, only to them and it's our money

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I think there's just one little problem! Can anyone except the Prime Minister abolish the senate?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I think there's just one little problem! Can anyone except the Prime Minister abolish the senate?

The Prime Minister cannot abolish the Senate. All that he can do is appoint more Senators. It will take a full constitutional amendment to abolish the Senate, which means that all of the provinces have to ratify it in their assemblies, first (rots o ruck).
The P.M. is not Vladimir Putin and cannot (yet) ammend the constitution, no matter what Oliver Cromwell fantasies he may harbour.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The initiative starts with the PM.
He as all for the Triple-A thing back in the days when his Western Reform party posse was going to ride into Bytown and clean up all them immoral Easterners of their wayward ways.

I wonder what went wrong?

I blame money and the ethnic vote.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I guess you haven't been following the conversation. Readers Digest version: HE CAN'T.
Actually there are two reasons.
1) It is not within the PMs power to do so
2) Mulcair will never be PM.

That's not quite true.

It requires either the agreement of the provinces or amendments to the constitution. Neither option is easy, but certainly not impossible. Both options won't really come to fruition unless a federal leader (what one would call a prime minister these days) begins that process by seeking a mandate from Canadians.

It's clear that Mulcair is seeking that mandate by making this into an election promise.

This has all been made abundantly clear if you read the news.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I guess you haven't been following the conversation. Readers Digest version: HE CAN'T.
Actually there are two reasons.
1) It is not within the PMs power to do so
2) Mulcair will never be PM.

Good points- some folks have a hard time savvying! :)

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
That's not quite true.

It requires either the agreement of the provinces or amendments to the constitution. Neither option is easy, but certainly not impossible. Both options won't really come to fruition unless a federal leader (what one would call a prime minister these days) begins that process by seeking a mandate from Canadians.

It's clear that Mulcair is seeking that mandate by making this into an election promise.

so mulcair is promising to rip our constitution a new arsehole. how is that something that we as responsible citizens should vote for?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That's not quite true.

I read the news regular. What you generally read is not news but slanted journalism AKA political BS.