Tell me this isn't wrong!!!!!

Should the Resturant be Boycotted?

• Total voters

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
If'n we're going to through out quotes....

But you were always a good man of business, Jacob,' faltered Scrooge.

Business!' cried Jacob Marley the ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
― Charles ****ens, A Christmas Carol

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Unless she has one helluva pension OAS and CPP pay less than welfare after you factor in the extended health coverage of weelfare.
don't know pete...only know I have never heard of anyone on welfare existing in some faery tale abundant lifestyle. I keep hearing about it but I've never met anyone who is actually living it...it's kinda like unicorns...one can say they exist and maybe they do, I've just never seen one.

I don't know the amount/size of the pension she would get or how much welfare she would receive. I do know some of our students existed on government allowance and they could barely feed themselves... if a pension is less than that...she is screwed...then again, she will likely find employment soon enough or be given a "package deal" to settle no?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It was a question, unlike your responses to other people. If I was to frame it as a statement, it would be something like "EagleSmack is now in favour of more government regulation of private businesses, just like Diane Feinstein and Barney Frank."

It was a question that was asked in a way to box me in.

"Oh because you believe in X so you MUST believe in Y and Z"

Sorry Charlie

I doubt that a woman who has worked at the same establishment for over a quarter of a century would be happy living on welfare. But even if she was;

• it's not a life of abundance that would be comfortable
  • she's got two years to work and then she is eligible for her pension

I do not think she would either.

If welfare in Canada is not a life of abundance that would mean yet another great conservative thing Canada is doing as opposed to the more liberal US. Here in my state if you are completely dependent on the state and federal government it is indeed a comfortable life of abundance. Comfortable and all the free time you can dream about.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It was a question that was asked in a way to box me in.

"Oh because you believe in X so you MUST believe in Y and Z"

Sorry Charlie

I do not think she would either.

If welfare in Canada is not a life of abundance that would mean yet another great conservative thing Canada is doing as opposed to the more liberal US. Here in my state if you are completely dependent on the state and federal government it is indeed a comfortable life of abundance. Comfortable and all the free time you can dream about.
a quick google for Ontario shows that a single person would get about $600 a month for food and shelter...they could apply for subsized housing which can be pretty bleak...plus they would get help with drugs and a few other things... not much

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
a quick google for Ontario shows that a single person would get about $600 a month for food and shelter...they could apply for subsized housing which can be pretty bleak...plus they would get help with drugs and a few other things... not much

Damn that would be considered mean spirited and down right racist here in Massachusetts! Absolutely barbaric!

Good for you people. Canada may truly be the last bastion of Conservatism.

Check out this link...

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/08/19/work-or-welfare-what-pays-more/

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
don't know pete...only know I have never heard of anyone on welfare existing in some faery tale abundant lifestyle. I keep hearing about it but I've never met anyone who is actually living it...it's kinda like unicorns...one can say they exist and maybe they do, I've just never seen one.

I don't know the amount/size of the pension she would get or how much welfare she would receive. I do know some of our students existed on government allowance and they could barely feed themselves... if a pension is less than that...she is screwed...then again, she will likely find employment soon enough or be given a "package deal" to settle no?

How big of a pension do you think a waitress would have?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
How big of a pension do you think a waitress would have?
If you are referring to a company pension, I have no idea petros, we don't even know if she had benefits.

At 60 she could get CPP and old age pension... maybe a supplement.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
nope, once they become Canadian we will defend their right to work over those coming in behind them...we are super tolerant, and welcoming and inclusive but don't s hit on us or we get super snarly.

............and if we are wrong, we will apologize. :smile: No chance of that happening with this latest affront to Canadian workers.

A lay off is only a lay off if there is a shortage of work or it's seasonal.

Any other reason is a dismissal.

Since there wasn't a work shortage these ladies weren't laid off but dismissed.

This is going to cost the restaurant owner everything.

Can't say as I will shed a tear should that be the case.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
............and if we are wrong, we will apologize. :smile: No chance of that happening with this latest affront to Canadian workers.

Can't say as I will shed a tear should that be the case.
but it would be nice if they could reach a resolution that did not destroy a family business...couldn't have been all that bad to work for over the years since they've been there for decades and never sought employment elsewhere.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Yeah, there's not enough information in that story to draw a satisfactory conclusion. It seems that half the employees are local hires. We haven't been told what Ms. Nelson's work ethic was like or the foreigners replaced her. I was in Timothy's a couple of months ago and there was one employee there who was making some movements, but was absolutely fricken useless, like couldn't clean a table properly - so you just can't never tell! -:)

We were, however, told that she worked for the company for 28 years, JLM..........don't you think her work ethic or lack thereof might have come into question before this?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
but it would be nice if they could reach a resolution that did not destroy a family business...couldn't have been all that bad to work for over the years since they've been there for decades and never sought employment elsewhere.

I think you reap what you sow in that regard. They get no sympathy from me.

Now, if they'd had a revolving door of employees, I might be a little more sympathetic to them. But 28 years and 14 years? It's obvious they couldn't have been poor employees to be retained for that length of time.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
nope he can pick apples for the next crop but he should not displace someone although he would likely just be hired on as a picker...so he likely would be hired on without displaying anyone

I doubt that a woman who has worked at the same establishment for over a quarter of a century would be happy living on welfare. But even if she was;

• it's not a life of abundance that would be comfortable
  • she's got two years to work and then she is eligible for her pension

However, she will not collect her entire CPP if she chooses to file early. Only folks who wait until they are 65 are eligible for their entire CPP.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you are referring to a company pension, I have no idea petros, we don't even know if she had benefits.

At 60 she could get CPP and old age pension... maybe a supplement.

Any pension beyond OAS or CPP. If that is all she has even with supplements she won't be travelling the world in an RV.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think you reap what you sow in that regard. They get no sympathy from me.

Now, if they'd had a revolving door of employees, I might be a little more sympathetic to them. But 28 years and 14 years? It's obvious they couldn't have been poor employees to be retained for that length of time.

Up until just 5 years ago it was dirt cheap to live in Weyburn with little employment beyong service for the unskilled. Now the cost of living skyrocketed. If they own their home they'lll be okay. If they don't they're f-cked.

That's okay. She'd probably have difficulty crossing the Atlantic anyway.

Snow tires. Go the polar route to Europe.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Ah, you have a good heart, dear. Once the company acted as they did, I might think much of the goodwill they had with the employees in question was now a thing of the past. Hard to trust someone after they have done something so contemptible.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We were, however, told that she worked for the company for 28 years, JLM..........don't you think her work ethic or lack thereof might have come into question before this?

That's right, employers are supposed to identify any problems by the end of the probationary period- often 6 months!

But having said that I've seen situations arise long after that where the employee shows their "true colours".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Did she prove herself in the past 27 years an 9 months?

The owners are going to find out that it wasn't the food but the known staff who bring customers back.