Florida restaurant serves up python pizza

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
QMI Agency
First posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 01:58 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, January 11, 2014 02:19 PM EST
Here's a pizza topping we never expected to see offered.
We understand that smoked reindeer is a favourite topping in Finland but python?
Evan's Neighborhood Pizza in southwest Florida is offering customers a pie that includes a topping of fresh python.
According to WPXI, The restaurant's "Everglades" pizza contains just about every living creature you'd find in the Sunshine State's swamps: frog, alligator and swamp cabbage.
Owner Evan Daniell told the New York Daily News the unusual topping has been surprisingly popular.
“We're selling them left and right. It's a happy accident; it's about being creative.”
A medium 14-inch Everglades pie goes for $45, and that's because python meat can cost about $66 per pound.
The station says Daniell has considered creating a "roadkill" pizza, which would include raccoon, armadillo and possum but has had trouble finding a supplier for the specialty meats.
Or customers, perhaps?
The Everglades pizza from Evan's Neighborhood Pizza.(Screen grab)

Taboola - Viral Player
Florida restaurant serves up python pizza | Weird | News | Toronto Sun

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
QMI Agency
First posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 01:58 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, January 11, 2014 02:19 PM EST
We understand that smoked reindeer is a favourite topping in Finland but python?
Evan's Neighborhood Pizza in southwest Florida is offering customers a pie that includes a topping of fresh python.
According to WPXI, The restaurant's "Everglades" pizza contains just about every living creature you'd find in the Sunshine State's swamps: frog, alligator and swamp cabbage.
Owner Evan Daniell told the New York Daily News the unusual topping has been surprisingly popular.
“We're selling them left and right. It's a happy accident; it's about being creative.”
A medium 14-inch Everglades pie goes for $45, and that's because python meat can cost about $66 per pound.
The station says Daniell has considered creating a "roadkill" pizza, which would include raccoon, armadillo and possum but has had trouble finding a supplier for the specialty meats.
Or customers, perhaps?

Taboola - Viral Player

Too bad they have to desecrate the python with pizza!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
QMI Agency
Or customers, perhaps?

Taboola - Viral Player
just another reason, not to eat piazza

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'd eat it. Snake steak is pretty good, so I can imagine it'd be ok on pizza. Besides, it isn't the weirdest thing I've heard people putting on pizza; gherkins, raisins, french fries, squid ink, mayo, cookie dough instead of pizza dough, etc.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Python (Burmese, I think) is an invasive species in Florida,
so this is a win-win...but $45 a pie 'cuz the python is $66/lb????
That's just nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The Python (Burmese, I think) is an invasive species in Florida,
so this is a win-win...but $45 a pie 'cuz the python is $66/lb????
That's just nuts.

At least they've found another way to try and curtail the python's numbers. I think if more places sold the python pizzas (or even just the meat) that the prices might go down. There will be more available, and people will want to go where it's the cheapest.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If people will eat anchovies on pizza, they will eat anything.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Snake is supposed to be good meat, and for a state that considers pythons to be essentially 'kill on sight', I think it's a good policy to find a market for the meat. You know, environmentalism and all that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Snake is supposed to be good meat, and for a state that considers pythons to be essentially 'kill on sight', I think it's a good policy to find a market for the meat. You know, environmentalism and all that.

Yer rockin' this morning, Karrie! -:)