Should Shawn Thornton face more than a suspension?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Pond!
5 minutes in the sin bin.

If we weren't aggressive we got cut and ended up on the parks and rec teams and with great shame. Nobody wanted to be on the parks and rec teams.

Hockey is a way of life in Saskatchewan. An entire town will shut down and go to the kids games in support.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Which is a different story than what you were first saying.

There were some other pics I could have put in but they were nasty.

But you were embellishing the Thorton incident. If Orpik doesn't get knocked out, Thorton gets a Roughing penalty.

Well no. We have all seen the incident. He comes up to him from behind after play had stopped, he yanks him to the ground and proceeds to attack him before he has any idea that he has become part of a "fight" and is completely defenseless.

That kind of thing is never allowed in the UFC and fighters have been banned for life for attacking people in that way.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
45 and I played on real teams not parks and rec.

5 minutes in the sin bin.

If we weren't aggressive we got cut and ended up on the parks and rec teams and with great shame. Nobody wanted to be on the parks and rec teams.

Hockey is a way of life in Saskatchewan. An entire town will shut down and go to the kids games in support.

Good for you?

What exactly does making 10 year olds fight have to do with Saskatchewan being a big hockey location these days. That kind of stuff with kids that young is not part of the game anymore and people still love it.

Which pansy Province are you from?

Ontario, where we produce something like half of the Canadian players in the NHL, so I think we are doing ok.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Good for you?

What exactly does making 10 year olds fight have to do with Saskatchewan being a big hockey location these days. That kind of stuff with kids that young is not part of the game anymore and people still love it.
And yet they grow up and fight in the SJHL, WHL, OHL and NHL. Why? Because it's part of the game.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
How about Eric LIndros a few years ago his own team was so pi**ed with him that
when he was levelled and got his last concussion not even his own team stood up
for him. He was a whiner too.
Bertuzzi lets look at that for a moment. A couple of weeks before Moore did a cheap
hit on Naslund and everyone knew when the two teams met again Bertuzzi was going
to get even as it should be. Bertuzzi gave Moore every chance to come out and fight.
When he didn't and refused Moore got nailed as it should be. He put Naslund out and
Moore was put out forever, from the game because he was a coward.
I am sixty eight and yes I played the game. Learned on a pond and the lake. I might
not have been as good as many others but good enough. Knew how to fight too.
I also followed junior hockey as a play by play announcer for a few years as well.
Fighting as far back as the sixties was brutal admitted and those guys didn't wear helmets
either. I am tired of whiners wanting to change the game so they can sip tea and make
comments like doesn't he skate beautifully. I like players who can skate, pass, shoot and
fight like hell when they have too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I found a photo of Born Ruff

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well no. We have all seen the incident. He comes up to him from behind after play had stopped, he yanks him to the ground and proceeds to attack him before he has any idea that he has become part of a "fight" and is completely defenseless.

Please... Orpik was unaware of what was going on? Thorton barely punches him. Look at the replay for crying out loud.

If Orpik doesn't get hauled away... Thorton gets a Roughing penalty.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
And yet they grow up and fight in the SJHL, WHL, OHL and NHL. Why? Because it's part of the game.

It really doesn't have to be(look at how popular the World Juniors and the Olympic hockey tournaments are), but that is a completely different issue. I have no problem with two willing adults fighting.

This was not a fight, Thornton didn't give him any chance to participate in a fight. He just jumped him from behind with no opportunity to fight back, which is as cowardly as it gets. A real player would turn him around and take him on face to face.

Please... Orpik was unaware of what was going on? Thorton barely punches him. Look at the replay for crying out loud.

If Orpik doesn't get hauled away... Thorton gets a Roughing penalty.

He barely punches him? Are you willing to put your head between Thornton's fists and the ice and see how that might feel?

How do you expect Orpik to be aware that he was about to be jumped from behind?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
How about Eric LIndros a few years ago his own team was so pi**ed with him that
when he was levelled and got his last concussion not even his own team stood up
for him. He was a whiner too.
Bertuzzi lets look at that for a moment. A couple of weeks before Moore did a cheap
hit on Naslund and everyone knew when the two teams met again Bertuzzi was going
to get even as it should be. Bertuzzi gave Moore every chance to come out and fight.
When he didn't and refused Moore got nailed as it should be. He put Naslund out and
Moore was put out forever, from the game because he was a coward.
I am sixty eight and yes I played the game. Learned on a pond and the lake. I might
not have been as good as many others but good enough. Knew how to fight too.
I also followed junior hockey as a play by play announcer for a few years as well.
Fighting as far back as the sixties was brutal admitted and those guys didn't wear helmets
either. I am tired of whiners wanting to change the game so they can sip tea and make
comments like doesn't he skate beautifully. I like players who can skate, pass, shoot and
fight like hell when they have too.

If you really think that Moore's hit on Naslund was comparable I think you are the one who doesn't accept that the NHL is a physical game.

Everyone knows that if you reach for a puck in the neutral zone, you are liable to get crushed, much less actually going down on one knee to reach for it.

What kind of warped mind thinks that hitting a guy reaching for the puck in the neutral zone is dirty, but punching a guy from behind and driving his face into the ice is just part of the game?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Liable to get crushed eh? Does that piss players off when there are dirty shot involved with getting crushed?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't give a sh*t about who did what to who. It's expected. It's still good and it isn't old. Either you man up or play beer league.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
You can see the hit as part of this video. What is really so dirty about that hit?

You honestly played hockey and never learned that you shouldn't reach for the puck in the neutral zone?

I don't give a sh*t about who did what to who. It's expected. It's still good and it's isn't old. Either you man up or play beer league.

How exactly should Orpik have "manned up" in this situation?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I didn't agree to anything. Do you agree grudges can last for seasons or entire careers?

Ya, people can get mad over pretty much anything for any reason. Being mad doesn't make it ok to drive someone's head into the ice from behind.

When talking about the Thornton incident, how exactly was Orpik supposed to "man up"?