This summer may see first ice-free North Pole

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
19th century British Arctic exploration had the unfortunate practice of using foodstuffs from tin cans soldered shut with lead. Some think that the Franklin survivors got stuck, suffered a form of lead poisoning that impaired their judgment, and ended up wandering on the ice.

Possibly a little far fetched methinks. I think it would take more than a season or two of eating from contaminated tin cans.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The recent pause in global warming (1):

What do observations of the climate system tell us?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/q/s/Paper1_Observing_changes_in_the_climate_system.PDF

3 © Crown copyright 2013

Executive summary

A wide range of observed climate indicators continue to show changes that are consistent with a globally warming world, and our understanding of how the climate system works.

Global mean surface temperatures rose rapidly from the 1970s, but have been relatively flat over the most recent 15 years to 2013. This has prompted speculation that human induced global warming is no longer happening, or at least will be much smaller than predicted. Others maintain that this is a temporary pause and that temperatures will again rise at rates seen previously.

This paper is the first in a series of three reports from the Met Office Hadley Centre that address the recent pause in global warming and seek to answer the following questions. What have been the recent trends in other indicators of climate over this period; what are the potential drivers of the current pause; and how does the recent pause affect our projections of future climate?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
BEFORE: The Arctic Will Be Ice-Free Because Of Global Warming In 2013! – NOW: Arctic Sea Ice Increases By A Million Square Miles In 2013…

But… but… but… the science is settled!
Via Fox News:
About a million more square miles of ocean are covered in ice in 2013 than in 2012, a whopping 60 percent increase — and a dramatic deviation from predictions of an “ice-free Arctic in 2013,” the Daily Mail noted.

Arctic sea ice averaged 2.35 million square miles in August 2013, as compared to the low point of 1.32 million square miles recorded on Sept. 16, 2012, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. A chart published Sept. 8 by NSIDC shows the dramatic rise this year, putting total ice cover within two standard deviations of the 30-year average.
Noting the year over year surge, one scientist even argued that “global cooling” was here.

“We are already in a cooling trend, which I think will continue for the next 15 years at least. There is no doubt the warming of the 1980s and 1990s has stopped,” Anastasios Tsonis of the University of Wisconsin told London’s Mail on Sunday.
The surge in Arctic ice is a dramatic change from last year’s record-setting lows, which fueled dire predictions of an imminent ice-free summer. A 2007 BBC report said the Arctic could be ice free in 2013 — a theory NASA still echoes today.

“[An ice-free Arctic is] definitely coming, and coming sooner than we previously expected,“ Walt Meier, a glaciologist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md, told LiveScience last month. “We’re looking at when as opposed to if.”

BEFORE: The Arctic Will Be Ice-Free Because Of Global Warming In 2013! – NOW: Arctic Sea Ice Increases By A Million Square Miles In 2013… | Weasel Zippers

What say you tinfoilers? :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I LOVE this necro-thread!

Props to the ones that fetch this from the archives every September!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
BEFORE: The Arctic Will Be Ice-Free Because Of Global Warming In 2013! – NOW: Arctic Sea Ice Increases By A Million Square Miles In 2013…

Via Fox News:
About a million more square miles of ocean are covered in ice in 2013 than in 2012, a whopping 60 percent increase — and a dramatic deviation from predictions of an “ice-free Arctic in 2013,” the Daily Mail noted.

Arctic sea ice averaged 2.35 million square miles in August 2013, as compared to the low point of 1.32 million square miles recorded on Sept. 16, 2012, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. A chart published Sept. 8 by NSIDC shows the dramatic rise this year, putting total ice cover within two standard deviations of the 30-year average.
Noting the year over year surge, one scientist even argued that “global cooling” was here.

“We are already in a cooling trend, which I think will continue for the next 15 years at least. There is no doubt the warming of the 1980s and 1990s has stopped,” Anastasios Tsonis of the University of Wisconsin told London’s Mail on Sunday.
The surge in Arctic ice is a dramatic change from last year’s record-setting lows, which fueled dire predictions of an imminent ice-free summer. A 2007 BBC report said the Arctic could be ice free in 2013 — a theory NASA still echoes today.

“[An ice-free Arctic is] definitely coming, and coming sooner than we previously expected,“ Walt Meier, a glaciologist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md, told LiveScience last month. “We’re looking at when as opposed to if.”

BEFORE: The Arctic Will Be Ice-Free Because Of Global Warming In 2013! – NOW: Arctic Sea Ice Increases By A Million Square Miles In 2013… | Weasel Zippers

BUT BUT BUT That's just weather. The good DR. Susuki decread it so.

I think I may have to think of selling my shares in the port of Churchill.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

Via Fox News:

Rather than get all excited about one year ot the next, it's best to look at the trend over time, esepcially since global warming is supposed to be something that manifests itself over several centuries.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think I may have to think of selling my shares in the port of Churchill.
I wouldn't. Ice was never the issue. It's the rail line through muskeg to the port that is the problem. Heavy loads like grain or oil have to be shipped in winter when it's frozen. There will be pipelines for oil and gas but grain will still have to go in winter in aluminum rail cars.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I wouldn't. Ice was never the issue. It's the rail line through muskeg to the port that is the problem. Heavy loads like grain or oil have to be shipped in winter when it's frozen. There will be pipelines for oil and gas but grain will still have to go in winter in aluminum rail cars.

I was lead to believe there is ice in Churchill in the winter and global warming would make it a year round port.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

I would suggest that you look at the BAM. Or are we stuck with 1920's engineering?

Rather than get all excited about one year ot the next, it's best to look at the trend over time, esepcially since global warming is supposed to be something that manifests itself over several centuries.

Your charts got censored.... evil scientist, quoting heresies..

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I would suggest that you look at the BAM. Or are we stuck with 1920's engineering?

Your charts got censored.... evil scientist, quoting heresies..

Ha, NSIDC are offline due to severe weather and flooding. What's the opposite of wrinkly again? Oh yeah, irony.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Expensive and the Chinaman line is over permafrost not muskeg. If it were me, I'd come up with a solution were the line would float without twisting like it does now. Something like an outrigger that spreads forces lateral.

Or better yet build a whole new line.