Duchess of Cambridge goes into labour

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why the monarchy (sigh) still survives in Canada - The Globe and Mail

Of course, Britain has every right to celebrate. Of course, Britain should retain its monarchy as long as public opinion supports it. But, to presume the rest of the world views the British monarchy through the same lens as someone in Britain, is a little much.

I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about the British and Canadian monarchy.

But judging by all those people on Sky News last night in Trafalgar Square with foreign accents going wild with celebration - the Yanks seem the most royalist of all - it seems that people the world over are wishing they had a monarchy like Britain and Canada do. I think there's a bit of jealousy and envy the world over for the British and Canadian monachy and people wish they had a monarchy like ours.

And yet there are eejits - only a minority however, with just 17% of Britons wanting a republic - who want us to swap this wonderful monarchy of ours with all the celebrations they give us (in 2011 we had the royal wedding, in 2012 we had the Diamond Jubilee and now we have the birth of a future monarch) and swap it for a President Cameron. Who do they think they are kidding?

And the British monarchy CREATES money for Britain. It puts more into the economy than we spend to pay for the monarchy. What republic does that?

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Royal births are usually celebrated with a 41-gun salute.

In Florida, they wait until you're 17

Then chase after you with 1 gun & kill you.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here's another quiz:

Royal baby: What gift would you give?

The giving of gifts to celebrate the birth of a new baby is a tradition that spans the globe. To mark the arrival of the royal baby, we have gathered together some traditional and unusual presents from around the world.

Match the photo to the country in our baby gift game and find out where it is good luck to give a wolf paw, an eye amulet or a pair of red knitted shoes.

BBC News - Royal baby: What gift would you give?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Royal baby quiz: how well do you know your royal babies?

Now the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's baby is here, why not try out our royal baby quiz?

Test how well you know your royal babies from their photographs...

CBBC Newsround - Royal baby quiz: how well do you know your royal babies?

I got 5 out of 5 - although it's fairly easy considering it's a quiz for kids (CBBC is Children's BBC).

Ditto, probably due to the format and of course the older photos were white and black.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Here's another quiz:

The giving of gifts to celebrate the birth of a new baby is a tradition that spans the globe. To mark the arrival of the royal baby, we have gathered together some traditional and unusual presents from around the world.

A bottle of rye and pack of unfiltered smokes (I'm thinking Export A green)... That boys old enough to man-up I say

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A bottle of rye and pack of unfiltered smokes (I'm thinking Export A green)... That boys old enough to man-up I say

If you are going to give the lad a bottle of rot gut at least show some class and give him Scotch. My choice would be rum, never really could stand any kind of Whisky. -:)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
If you are going to give the lad a bottle of rot gut at least show some class and give him Scotch. My choice would be rum, never really could stand any kind of Whisky. -:)

You'd waste good Scotch on a kid that's just learnin' to drink?.... For shame

Desert Eagle .50-cal and a lifetime membership in the NRA.

That will go really great with the rye and the smokes.... I wonder if they make those wife-beater shirts in little kid/infant size?

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Thank God you're not in charge or else you'd force a BORING republic on us (I don't like the idea of swapping Wills and Kate and this new baby prince for President Blair) and force us to continue to wallow in the misery of global economic doom and gloom and news about the proposed new runway at Heathrow and a tobacco man's links with the Conservative Party. There'd be no way we could celebrate happy events like this which give us an extraordinary feelgood factor and an economic boost.

Thank God, too, that people like you are a minority.

Brits are too 'excitable,' BL!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
people over there are so excited and busy making anything and everything for that new 'future king',
now they can't sit still waiting to know his name, its just a whirl of excitement, and it is fun,
especially after the event is over, and all is well with mom and babe.

I like seeing people being happy, especially thru that 'boob tube' we call a television, as the media
would rather throw misery at us 24 hours a day.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
people over there are so excited and busy making anything and everything for that new 'future king',
now they can't sit still waiting to know his name, its just a whirl of excitement, and it is fun,

I like seeing people being happy, especially thru that 'boob tube' we call a television, as the media

Right on Talloola, and I say to anyone concerned about the starving people, put a $1 in an envelope and mail it to Ethiopia! -:)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about the British and Canadian monarchy.
Yet you are constantly defending it. lol

But judging by all those people on Sky News last night in Trafalgar Square with foreign accents going wild with celebration - the Yanks seem the most royalist of all - it seems that people the world over are wishing they had a monarchy like Britain and Canada do.
They don't have to deal with all the archaic nonsense that goes along with it.
I think there's a bit of jealousy and envy the world over for the British and Canadian monachy and people wish they had a monarchy like ours.
Oh, yeah, kings and queens and princesses, and knights in shiny armor, and all that other faerie tale stuff. Now there's a thrill ........ for 6 yr olds.

And yet there are eejits - only a minority however, with just 17% of Britons wanting a republic - who want us to swap this wonderful monarchy of ours with all the celebrations they give us (in 2011 we had the royal wedding, in 2012 we had the Diamond Jubilee and now we have the birth of a future monarch) and swap it for a President Cameron. Who do they think they are kidding?

And the British monarchy CREATES money for Britain. It puts more into the economy than we spend to pay for the monarchy. What republic does that?
Um, republics don't have monarchies. Jeeez

Here's another quiz:

Good wishes. I can't for the life of me think of anything the kid would need that his family couldn't afford other than my good wishes for a happy and healthy life.

I bet he'd like Jameson's Irish whisky better. :D

Scotch? Now that is rotgut, along with bourbon.

True enough about that.

Right on Talloola, and I say to anyone concerned about the starving people, put a $1 in an envelope and mail it to Ethiopia! -:)
Got an address for one of these poor people?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
At last...............there he is the young prince.......we can finally stop watching a door for hours on end. Welcome little one. Congrats Mum and Dad. Hope you get some peace in the days to come.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
They don't have to deal with all the archaic nonsense that goes along with it. Oh, yeah, kings and queens and princesses, and knights in shiny armor, and all that other faerie tale stuff. Now there's a thrill ........ for 6 yr olds.
What? You didn't get off on Lord of the Rings? Lots of adults like stories no matter how fanciful they are. Reality is not always a bed of roses and some people need an escape mechanism.