All your gold are belong to us

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If the original coins were stolen and put into a safety deposit box opened by someone
else the coins were still stolen, The US government and especially the mint don't take
kindly to people helping themselves and therefore despite the fact these people were
being honest the original thief was not therefore they don't get a dime from the proceeds
of crime. Theft is a crime.
As for pawn shops the police check them all the time here for stolen property and when
found pawn shop owners must return the property. If you pressed the issue in Quebec
I would bet eventually you would win as theft is theft.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
What it comes down to is this. You have made unsubstantiated statements. You have been called on it. Now, you either back up your statements with proof, of you continue on your present road and risk being thought of as someone that really doesn't have a clue what they are talking about and is constantly posting unsubstantiated bullshyte.

Ball is now in your court.

He does provide us with some well deserved comedy relief.8O The unfortunate thing is that he believes his owns rantings

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
He does provide us with some well deserved comedy relief.8O The unfortunate thing is that he believes his owns rantings

True, but, do we really need another one on this forum? I thought we had enough already.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Judge Says 10 Rare Gold Coins Worth $80 Million Belong to Uncle Sam

A judge ruled that 10 rare gold coins worth $80 million belonged to the U.S. government, not a family that had sued the U.S. Treasury, saying it had illegally seized them.

The 1933 Saint-Gaudens double eagle coin was originally valued at $20, but one owned by King Farouk of Egypt sold for as much as $7.5 million at a Sotheby's auction in 2002, according to Courthouse News.

After the U.S. abandoned the gold standard, most of the 445,500 double eagles that the Philadelphia Mint had struck were melted into gold bars.

However, a Philadelphia Mint cashier had managed to give or sell some of them to a local coin dealer, Israel Switt.

In 2003, Switt's family, his daughter, Joan Langbord, and two grandsons, drilled opened a safety deposit box that had belonged to him and found the 10 coins.

When the Langbords gave the coins to the Philadelphia Mint for authentication, the government seized them without compensating the family.

Jacqueline Romero, assistant U.S. attorney in Philadelphia, explained that the coins legally belonged to the government after Franklin Delano Roosevelt ordered citizens to exchange their gold for cash in an effort to keep the banks afloat during the Great Depression.

“Those coins were all in a vault and were supposed to be melted,” she asserted.

Newsy contributes, including an explanation of FDR’s policy:

more

Judge Says 10 Rare Gold Coins Worth $80 Million Belong to Uncle Sam - ABC News

Judge: Langboard Family’s $80 Million Double Eagle Gold Coins Belong to Government | Franklin Delano Roosevelt | Video | TheBlaze.com

Well...after reading all the links, I guess the family doesn't have any legal recourse. It kind of sucks that they don't even get a penny out of it though.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Lesson for the day:

Next time you end up with something odd, rare or unusual that you want to learn something about, such as its value..... Google it first before you hand it over to the government..... and then sell it/them on the black market, leaving them as someone else's problem :p

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well...after reading all the links, I guess the family doesn't have any legal recourse. It kind of sucks that they don't even get a penny out of it though.

It's not like they're out money though, they didn't pay anything for them.

But I get what you're saying. It's like a misprint on a lottery ticket. Straight through the heart with that one!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It's not like they're out money though, they didn't pay anything for them.

But I get what you're saying. It's like a misprint on a lottery ticket. Straight through the heart with that one!

Exactly. It's the thought of finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow and discovering that it is merely fool's gold painted over rocks.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Exactly. It's the thought of finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow and discovering that it is merely fool's gold painted over rocks.

Yeah but ill gotten goods are ill gotten goods. When you're talking about things like rare coins or priceless artworks, a few generations separation from the actual crime isn't going to turn it into "finders keepers", lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yeah but ill gotten goods are ill gotten goods. When you're talking about things like rare coins or priceless artworks, a few generations separation from the actual crime isn't going to turn it into "finders keepers", lol.

I know. It's like paintings and other pieces of art that were stolen by the Nazis during the war. Even if you own one of those pieces of art, is it really yours?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I know. It's like paintings and other pieces of art that were stolen by the Nazis during the war. Even if you own one of those pieces of art, is it really yours?

No, it's not. That's why auction houses are very careful to scrutinize pieces it puts up for sale.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
No, it's not. That's why auction houses are very careful to scrutinize pieces it puts up for sale.

LOL! For a second there, I thought you were disagreeing with my post. It took me a moment to figure out that you meant that no, it's not yours even if you "own" it.;-)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
LOL! For a second there, I thought you were disagreeing with my post. It took me a moment to figure out that you meant that no, it's not yours even if you "own" it.;-)

LOL. Yes, that's what I meant. You should know by now that I post the way I speak, so I tend to treat it like a conversation, with inflection and everything. Hard to do in print, I know, but somehow it always works out, LOL

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I cannot add anything to this thread that has not already been said. So, to paraphrase the OP, "All my gold is belong me!"

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
LOL. Yes, that's what I meant. You should know by now that I post the way I speak, so I tend to treat it like a conversation, with inflection and everything. Hard to do in print, I know, but somehow it always works out, LOL

You get there in the end.;)

I cannot add anything to this thread that has not already been said. So, to paraphrase the OP, "All my gold is belong me!"

I wish I had some gold that I could have belong to me.:lol: