All your gold are belong to us

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Not in quebec,here the original owners can't take his stuff back unless he pay the crooks owning the pawn shops.
i saw a few years ago a story about stolen stuff found in pawn shop,and one of them was a guitar belonging to a store that rented musical instruments,and the name of the store was stamped on the guitar,but apparently the store owner was told that if he wanted it back he had to pay for it "by the cops"

I saw a few years ago a story about a coyote chasing a roadrunner, the coyote fell off a cliff and a 5 ton weight landed on his head, he got up and ran away.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If you've filed a police report, and the property in question can be identified, the police can and will seize the property, fill out a receipt for the person/s they seized the property from, and either return the property immediately to the rightful owner, or hold it as evidence for the duration of the case.

If you doubt that in any way, call your local police detachment and ask.

The Bear is right. It is the Pawn Shop that is on the hook for buying stolen property when it is found to be in their posession.

I saw a few years ago a story about a coyote chasing a roadrunner, the coyote fell off a cliff and a 5 ton weight landed on his head, he got up and ran away.

Oh that was great!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Tell that to the store owner who found one of his instruments in a pawn shop.

BTW pawn shop here in quebec are owned by not so honest people.

Like pawn shops everywhere. I once found one of my powersaws in a pawn shop. The owner said I had to pay for it. I called him a thief and asked if he wanted to be charged with selling stolen property while there were several people in his store and walked out with the saw.

There would be more to it for a rental company to prove ownership because they also sell their stock so having their sticker on a guitar is not proof of ownership.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Like pawn shops everywhere. I once found one of my powersaws in a pawn shop. The owner said I had to pay for it. I called him a thief and asked if he wanted to be charged with selling stolen property while there were several people in his store and walked out with the saw.

There would be more to it for a rental company to prove ownership because they also sell their stock so having their sticker on a guitar is not proof of ownership.
From what i heard when someone goes selling something in a pawn shop,apparently he has to show a proof of ownership,but i guess its a suggestion.

If someone were to do what you did here,he'd be arrested by the cops.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Tell that to the store owner who found one of his instruments in a pawn shop.

BTW pawn shop here in quebec are owned by not so honest people.

I do remember hearing that law in Quebec follows the Napoleanic Code rather than the British tradition, there are bound to be differences.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
From what i heard when someone goes selling something in a pawn shop,apparently he has to show a proof of ownership,but i guess its a suggestion.

If someone were to do what you did here,he'd be arrested by the cops.

As I understand it one does not sell things to a pawn shop; what pawn shops do is provide short term loans and take goods as collateral. Once the term of the loan is ended and the repayment of the loan is due, they shop can sell the items to recoup their money if the loan has not been repaid.

But stolen property is stolen property. The problem becomes proving that a specific item is stolen. Items that have a serial number of some kind are more easily identifiable, items without one are less identifiable. But if the police have the serial number for items listed in a police report they most certainly can seize the property from anyone. They have to, to my understanding. I don't know what program you were watching but I'd hazard to guess that the individual was not able to prove to a sufficient standard that the property belonged to him.

I do remember hearing that law in Quebec follows the Napoleanic Code rather than the British tradition, there are bound to be differences.

Stolen property would fall under criminal law though not civil law.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
As I understand it one does not sell things to a pawn shop; what pawn shops do is provide short term loans and take goods as collateral. Once the term of the loan is ended and the repayment of the loan is due, they shop can sell the items to recoup their money if the loan has not been repaid.

But stolen property is stolen property. The problem becomes proving that a specific item is stolen. Items that have a serial number of some kind are more easily identifiable, items without one are less identifiable. But if the police have the serial number for items listed in a police report they most certainly can seize the property from anyone. They have to, to my understanding. I don't know what program you were watching but I'd hazard to guess that the individual was not able to prove to a sufficient standard that the property belonged to him.

Stolen property would fall under criminal law though not civil law.
Many other found their stuff in pawn shops,and they had proof of ownership,store bills serial numbers etc,but they were all told,you want it back,PAY UP.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Many other found their stuff in pawn shops,and they had proof of ownership,store bills serial numbers etc,but they were all told,you want it back,PAY UP.

The police can seize the property. Neither I nor anyone else has said that and individual can just walk in and take it.

Bottom line, and the point that is trying to be made, is that, although many pawn shop owners may well be scum, the law is not different in Quebec on this matter. The criminal code is federal.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
The police can seize the property. Neither I nor anyone else has said that and individual can just walk in and take it.

Bottom line, and the point that is trying to be made, is that, although many pawn shop owners may well be scum, the law is not different in Quebec on this matter. The criminal code is federal.
Still the police here tells the owners he has two choice pay the scum,or buy new ones,some are a little stupid and will pay the creeps.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Still the police here tells the owners he has two choice pay the scum,or buy new ones,some are a little stupid and will pay the creeps.

Then that says to me that they obviously could not prove to a legal standard that they owned the property.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I already said some had proof,but to get their stuff back,they have to pay.

always made me think if the pawn shop owners are buddy with the police.

That is always a possibility. Thieves do tend to stick together.
What the cops say is largely irrelevant, it is what the courts says that counts.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I already said some had proof,but to get their stuff back,they have to pay.

always made me think if the pawn shop owners are buddy with the police.

What it comes down to is this. You have made unsubstantiated statements. You have been called on it. Now, you either back up your statements with proof, of you continue on your present road and risk being thought of as someone that really doesn't have a clue what they are talking about and is constantly posting unsubstantiated bullshyte.

Ball is now in your court.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As i said,here in quebec,it is NOT like in the US,i don't know why but quebec laws are ****ed up.
The criminal code is Federal, as SLM stated.

Civil property laws vary mildly.

Theft is theft, if you can show proof that the property is yours. The police have absolutely no choice but to act. Federal seizure statutes allow them to take possession of the property in question, under grounds of probable cause.

What they do with it after the fact depends on whether the case is closed or open.

As has been pointed out, the criminal code is Federal.

Bullsh!t.

Bullsh!t.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
the federal criminal code possibly applies,but quebec want to decide if its gonna apply it,or use the quebec way.

BTW 2 years ago some waste of DNA robbed me,the cops caught him fast,but as usual with quebec laws,the best the cops could do is "watch him"
so since that time i say criminal had it better that honest people,which is why sometime i wonder if life is worth it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
the federal criminal code possibly applies,but quebec want to decide if its gonna apply it,or use the quebec way.
It doesn't 'possibly' apply, it simply does. As do Federal statutes on search and seizure, probable cause and the Charter of Rights as applicable to criminal law.

Police are mandated to act upon the commission of a crime. Possession of stolen property, is a crime.

which is why sometime i wonder if life is worth it.
Knock that silly sh!t off.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Funny,if your stuff is stolen and you find it in a pawn shop,the items won't be returned to you,they belong to the pawn shop,if you want them back you have to pay for it,but i guess if its items that allegedly belonged to the government or a bank etc,it is seized.

Absolutely wrong, IF you have reported the items stolen to the proper police agency, you can get them back without spending a dime.