Moving from NS to Red Deer

bizzymum

Dec 20, 2009
Pictou county, NS
I finally made it to Canada from Texas and landed in Pictou county NS. I am working as a nurse at a great facility, but I the opportunities for growth and jobs are limited for my family so I now have the opportunity to move to Red Deer, AB. I am really looking forward to relocating to somewhere a bit more progressive and not so isolated. I also have trouble with housing here because the majority of the houses here do not have fenced backyards and I have dogs. Plus there seems to be more lease to own homes in Alberta.

I don't think the company that wants me to work for them will pay for shipping of my goods and the price of shipping from NS to AB is outrageous. What do most people do when they move from the Maritimes to out west? Do they sell all their stuff and start over, or do they ship all their household goods? What is the drive like and how long will it take with one driver?

Is there anyone who has lived in Red Deer and what is it like?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I finally made it to Canada from Texas and landed in Pictou county NS. I am working as a nurse at a great facility, but I the opportunities for growth and jobs are limited for my family so I now have the opportunity to move to Red Deer, AB. I am really looking forward to relocating to somewhere a bit more progressive and not so isolated. I also have trouble with housing here because the majority of the houses here do not have fenced backyards and I have dogs. Plus there seems to be more lease to own homes in Alberta.

I don't think the company that wants me to work for them will pay for shipping of my goods and the price of shipping from NS to AB is outrageous. What do most people do when they move from the Maritimes to out west? Do they sell all their stuff and start over, or do they ship all their household goods? What is the drive like and how long will it take with one driver?

Been to Red Deer a few times- nice town.Many work in Calgary and commute from around the Red Deer area. Same with north of red deer.
Also a great time to get rid of clutter- But if they are paying be careful of tax implications and what you are responsible for if you decide to change employers. They could have a penalty cost.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Your in N.S.?

Lots of them coming west,ask around and im sure some will have some room in their u-haul.
Red Deers nice.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Yep, lived in Red Deer for a couple of years. Great little place for raising a family.
It's a place with a lot of young parents, very busy place, most buildings are new, it has been growing very rapidly.

Selling and stating over is a good plan. It doesn't cost that much to start over considering packing etc etc.
It's one helleva long drive tho, three days from Toronto.
Red Deer is a lot more hectic than Pictou. It's a booming place.
Good luck with the move.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Yep, lived in Red Deer for a couple of years. Great little place for raising a family.
It's a place with a lot of young parents, very busy place, most buildings are new, it has been growing very rapidly.

Selling and stating over is a good plan. It doesn't cost that much to start over considering packing etc etc.
It's one helleva long drive tho, three days from Toronto.
Red Deer is a lot more hectic than Pictou. It's a booming place.
Good luck with the move.

Gasoline alley!

I worked all over that area building leases.Living in a 22 foot motorhome.

Did 107 days straight once,nice cheques!

It was a blast!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Texas to NS and now to AB, you sure are making the miles.

Red Deer is located about 1/2 way between Calgary and Edmonton. It's not a small town, but not big either - around 100,000 people.

As far as homes are concerned, they are definitely cheaper than Calgary/Edmonton - you can get info at this website: REALTOR.ca -Welcome.

The drive will take you a couple or three days depending on how fast you drive and how long you drive on any given day... Maybe take your time and do 4 days.

As far as moving all your stuff, I'd consider selling the non-essentials and personal items in NS and buying when you get to Red Deer. On that note, you can always look into renting a u-haul van/truck, but in the end, you may be better off buying certain items as new and maybe some other items off craigs list or kijiji.

Good luck and drive safe

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Texas to NS and now to AB, you sure are making the miles.

Red Deer is located about 1/2 way between Calgary and Edmonton. It's not a small town, but not big either - around 100,000 people.

As far as homes are concerned, they are definitely cheaper than Calgary/Edmonton - you can get info at this website: REALTOR.ca -Welcome.

The drive will take you a couple or three days depending on how fast you drive and how long you drive on any given day... Maybe take your time and do 4 days.

As far as moving all your stuff, I'd consider selling the non-essentials and personal items in NS and buying when you get to Red Deer. On that note, you can always look into renting a u-haul van/truck, but in the end, you may be better off buying certain items as new and maybe some other items off craigs list or kijiji.

Good luck and drive safe
Geeze, that was such a cool post, it almost made me want to start packing!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Geeze, that was such a cool post, it almost made me want to start packing!

Let me know if ya do - I'm only an hour or so away... I know some good fishing spots around there and the beer is always cold (provincial legislation you understand)

If I had my choice of living anywhere in Canada, Lake of the Woods area would be right up there... Have never been there in winter - I expect it's pretty quiet and might need some special consideration, but I have rarely seen a more beautiful area anywhere.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Let me know if ya do - I'm only an hour or so away... I know some good fishing spots around there and the beer is always cold (provincial legislation you understand)

If I had my choice of living anywhere in Canada, Lake of the Woods area would be right up there... Have never been there in winter - I expect it's pretty quiet and might need some special consideration, but I have rarely seen a more beautiful area anywhere.

You have'nt seen my place then,I might sell it soon.
Right in the mountains,no nieghbours on one side,nice view of the rockies.

I'll consider trades if a huge trailer is concerned,one with a few slide outs.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's been mulled over in the Bear Den. Not sure if we want to make that big a change. We'll see how things go with a present venture.

If it doesn't work out, we'll be seriously looking at Sask, or Alberta. I just prefer working for myself.

It can get busy in the winter. They mod Geo Trackers with tracks, just to get on the sweet spots for big cold water Pike, Lakers and Pickerel.

It's a gorgeous place though.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You're in Sparwood area?.. No doubt, that is exceptional as well.

That said, if you have never been to Lake of the Woods area - GO!

There is absolutely nothing like it.
Sparwood is 30 miles west of me,Im in the pass in Alberta.Right near the border.

Frank slide.

You would love Nunavut then,there is nothing like it,huge.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
It's been mulled over in the Bear Den. Not sure if we want to make that big a change. We'll see how things go with a present venture.

If it doesn't work out, we'll be seriously looking at Sask, or Alberta. I just prefer working for myself.

It's never easy leaving home and as far as Red Deer (ie the prairies) is concerned, it is something that I expect you would need to get used too... Red Deer is a little East of some foothills prior to the Rockies, but make no mistake; it is full-on prairie... Chances are that the lack of geographical features (read: flat) may take you aback, but it also has it's unique attractions as well.

Again, like any place, you have to have an open mind and look for the pluses and not focus on the negatives... One thing that you would love are the sunrises/sunsets.... One of the best I ever saw was driving through Sask at 5 AM... It was amazing to the point that I have recollections of it today despite it being years ago... Then again, it was a road-trip and me and a buddy dropped some zoomers, but all the same, fantastic

It can get busy in the winter. They mod Geo Trackers with tracks, just to get on the sweet spots for big cold water Pike, Lakers and Pickerel.

It's a gorgeous place though.

Cool idea on the Geo Tracker... Sounds like an expensive toy with the modification though.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Actually bizzymum, , I kinda hate to suggest this but,,,,,,,,, Red Deer is a great place,,,,but since your coming all the way from NS, you might want to consider Calgary AB.
Lots of jobs here and it's a great place to live..
Just suggesting!!!

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
It's never easy leaving home and as far as Red Deer (ie the prairies) is concerned, it is something that I expect you would need to get used too... Red Deer is a little East of some foothills prior to the Rockies, but make no mistake; it is full-on prairie... Chances are that the lack of geographical features (read: flat) may take you aback, but it also has it's unique attractions as well.

Again, like any place, you have to have an open mind and look for the pluses and not focus on the negatives... One thing that you would love are the sunrises/sunsets.... One of the best I ever saw was driving through Sask at 5 AM... It was amazing to the point that I have recollections of it today despite it being years ago... Then again, it was a road-trip and me and a buddy dropped some zoomers, but all the same, fantastic

Cool idea on the Geo Tracker... Sounds like an expensive toy with the modification though.

Should we tell her about the rig pig fights that happen in the bars?

bizzymum

Dec 20, 2009
Pictou county, NS
I makes my wish I had moved to Alberta in the first place, but all the employers wanted me to be already iin Canada when I applied. It seems like when I crossed the border more opportunities came up and I don't have to settle for Pictou county anymore.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Haven't lived there, been through it lots. Red Deer is as sensible as anywhere considering it is now a fairly big city.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lots of nursing jobs in SK but AB is cheaper and easier to find some place to live.

What part of TX did you come from? My sister is an RN in San Antonio.