Harper's disturbing narcissism on display in Parliament

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
This is not about a few words on the internet as one poster put it. It is about a thirty year career of Harper. There have been several responsible jopurnalists who have made the same claims about Harper over the past few years. There is nothing new in this and it is not Rebel's statements that should be received with so much scorn.

Look at the claims objectively.

Neither is the matter of the photographs a light one. It is one more of those autocratic moves that Harper has got away with simply because there is always something new and there is a mental fatigue in the populace that brushes aside new revelations. How else could a contempt of Parliament not have led to the end of his government and his personal placing into an ignominous place in history already/

As for psychopathy! There have been studies that conclude that more than 4% (some higher) of corporate CEOs are psychopaths and that the proportion is higher among politicians. I have not seen any figure placed on that because of the limited number of high ranking politicians.

However, Rebel is correct in the elements of psychopathy and that Harper displays some of them.

Unusual is that a psychopath remains at the top of his Party for any extended time since his state becomes clear to his own Party rather quiickly. But it happens and I think Rebel is correct in this. There are, however, degrees of the descent into that mental wilderness and Harper does not have some of the full blown traits. He does, however, have some other minor ones such as being a loner and delusional.

It's nice to have members here who aren't caught up in the same mindless games that dominate our political forum these days.

Indeed it's been years of actions and statements by Steven Harper and his "government" that lead me and others to have a strong suspicion of his more sociopathic qualities.

One of the first actions he took as PM was probably impulsive and was definitely undemocratic by bringing in a former Liberal cabinet minister and nullifying the choice of the voters in Vancouver-Kingsway(It was David Emerson not david Wilson as I thought). This in the context of the new PM and his party supposedly replacing the cynical abuses of power of the previous Liberal government with one that was accountable, transparent and respectful of our Parliamentary traditions.

Harper waited to see what the reaction would be and when the consequences weren't severe began a long chain of events that have brought us to a position of an almost opaque federal government carrying out extensive policies that have already deprived many Canadians of many of their freedoms and future opportunities.

These are the actions of a person almost devoid of a conscience, not a responsible and accountable democratic leader. The reason that Harper began his program of limiting media scrutiny in the first place in 2006 was to enable this. We don't get the press scrums outside the cabinet office and the spontaneous questions from the press to the PM that can catch him up and reveal his inner workings. What would we see in that case, I'm willing to bet that if placed under the kind of scrutiny that previous PMs had to endure we'd see something that would leave most Canadians cold. A man who really doesn't care about anything at all, except being in power.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Prove it.

1. The previous dickhead is no longer there
2. We are still alive.

PROVEN

One of the first actions he took as PM was probably impulsive and was definitely undemocratic by bringing in a former Liberal cabinet minister and nullifying the choice of the voters in Vancouver-Kingsway(It was David Emerson not david Wilson as I thought). This in the context of the new PM and his party supposedly replacing the cynical abuses of power of the previous Liberal government with one that was accountable, transparent and respectful of our Parliamentary traditions.

I hate to tell you this, but there was nothing un democratic about that. The voters of his riding elected him to represent them. What he does, once elected, is up to him. That's how our system works, and for you to think this is some construction of Harper's simply shows that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Joey Smallwood of Newfoundland once said say anything about me you like.
Print anything about me you like just be sure to spell my name right.
Harper is doing what they all do, the previous government did the same thing
and when Mulcair takes over he will also fling his pictures up everywhere.
The difference is, Harper has crowned himself King in his own mind and when
that happens regardless of party it is the beginning of the end.
When you crown yourself king you stop listening to the people
When you crown yourself King you start believing your press clippings and your
own ego swells until you can't get your head through the door. That is Harper's
emerging problem. Remember Mulroney? Even Trudeau lost an election due
to his arrogance mind you he could humble himself long enough to come back
if you remember.
Many Provincial politicians have met the same fate.
For those in denial, it was once said the NDP would never be opposition, now they
are, and people are saying they can never form government. Harper is setting the
scene for that to happen as well.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

For sure, the sad part is he's probably as good as it's going to get. As detestable as he is his politics are not quite as reprehensible as he is. Similar problem to what we have in B.C. :smile:

I hate to tell you this, but there was nothing un democratic about that. The voters of his riding elected him to represent them. What he does, once elected, is up to him. That's how our system works, and for you to think this is some construction of Harper's simply shows that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Ummmmmmmmmm? Nah, Emerson ran as a Liberal, presumably supporting the Liberal platform and garnered a great number of votes as such. What he did (two weeks after being elected) was reprehensible and he probably would have been shot as a traitor if it was almost any other country in the world! :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There's the very serious issue of the environmental front.
Than why bury it in nonsensical posts?

There is nothing new in this and it is not Rebel's statements that should be received with so much scorn.
No worries, yours deserve just as much.

Look at the claims objectively.

Neither is the matter of the photographs a light one. It is one more of those autocratic moves that Harper has got away with simply because there is always something new and there is a mental fatigue in the populace that brushes aside new revelations. How else could a contempt of Parliament not have led to the end of his government and his personal placing into an ignominous place in history already/

As for psychopathy! There have been studies that conclude that more than 4% (some higher) of corporate CEOs are psychopaths and that the proportion is higher among politicians. I have not seen any figure placed on that because of the limited number of high ranking politicians.

However, Rebel is correct in the elements of psychopathy and that Harper displays some of them.

Unusual is that a psychopath remains at the top of his Party for any extended time since his state becomes clear to his own Party rather quiickly. But it happens and I think Rebel is correct in this. There are, however, degrees of the descent into that mental wilderness and Harper does not have some of the full blown traits. He does, however, have some other minor ones such as being a loner and delusional.
And that nonsense is why.

It's nice to have members here who aren't caught up in the same mindless games that dominate our political forum these days.
The irony is, you just complimented someone that completely agrees with the nonsense contained in your posts. While both of you chide, insult or otherwise attack anyone that has tried to have a meaningful conversation about the facts, and asked both of you to leave the nonsense at the door.

Both of you post commentary that is far more like the mindless games that dominate Parliament Hill, than the bulk of those that post in these threads.

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
Are you saying we didn't survive? Are you saying this could be heaven or this could be hell?

I'd say that he is posting proved he survived.

No I'm saying that Chretien then Martin set us up for Harper to take office, and it's not clear whether or not we're going to survive him.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
When you crown yourself king you stop listening to the people
When you crown yourself King you start believing your press clippings and your
own ego swells until you can't get your head through the door. That is Harper's
emerging problem. Remember Mulroney? Even Trudeau lost an election due
to his arrogance mind you he could humble himself long enough to come back
if you remember.
Many Provincial politicians have met the same fate.
For those in denial, it was once said the NDP would never be opposition, now they
are, and people are saying they can never form government. Harper is setting the
scene for that to happen as well.
One small quibble!

Mulcair will not do that and no other Prime Minister would. Portraits os the Prime Ministers are always hung and Harper is the first to remove them and replace them with his own.

It certainly makes Rebel's case and shows the Bear to be a CPC sycophant.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When all is said and done they are all...........Liberals, Conservatives, New Democrats a bunch of a$$holes looking after their own interests first, second and third. Joe Clark seemed to have a smattering of decency about him, but he made the huge mistake of proposing a gas tax to drive it above two bits a litre! :lol::lol::lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
  1. Because you once again unsuccessfully tried to nitpick and were incorrect.
So you say.

No one seems to agree with how you see things. I'm not one that goes for majority confirmation being absolute. But where there's smoke, there's generally fire.

When it comes in such volume, it generally gives the wise, pause for some introspection.