U.S. soldier kills up to 16 Afghan civilians

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think I meant each and every one of us, on ever side and for every cause. Not Just the US, or Canada, or the Afghanis, or the Russians, or the French ... The blame is not on the troops alone, or to any greater extent. It is you Ocean Breeze, and Ariadne, and I.

Spade - Your posts on this were clear, concise, accurate and on the money. We all have the blood on our hands. No one is Not Guilty. We are all complicit, but some will deny this.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Sources identify US soldier suspected in Afghan massacre

U.S. military sources tell Fox News the American soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians last weekend is Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who is being flown to a military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.
Military officials have declined to identify the suspect publicly, insisting that it is usual procedure to keep a suspect's identity secret until he is officially charged. They have maintained that stance even after a hearing for the detained soldier Tuesday found probable cause to continue holding him, and he was sent from Afghanistan to a detention facility in Kuwait.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Fort Leavenworth!!!

Oh no, not there!

That's where Manning is being held in terrible conditions. Tortured by lights always being on and so forth.

Or so the usual suspects keep saying.

This should make the usual suspects very happy.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sources identify US soldier suspected in Afghan massacre

U.S. military sources tell Fox News the American soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians last weekend is Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who is being flown to a military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.
Military officials have declined to identify the suspect publicly, insisting that it is usual procedure to keep a suspect's identity secret until he is officially charged. They have maintained that stance even after a hearing for the detained soldier Tuesday found probable cause to continue holding him, and he was sent from Afghanistan to a detention facility in Kuwait.

His family has been moved to an Army base due to possible threats or attacks on his family members

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
"Seattle lawyer John Henry Browne said that post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, would likely be part of the defense of the four-tour veteran.

"It is commonly used in military defense," he said, calling it a mitigating factor. Browne has said the soldier was unhappy about returning to combat after being wounded twice in Iraq.

He added on Friday that the man had witnessed a serious injury to a comrade the day before the massacre in the southern province of Kandahar on Sunday."

Afghan shooting soldier named as Robert Bales | World news | The Guardian

You sure are hung up on bumps in the head. Again are you aware of what happens to a soldiers brain from blast trauma. Clearly not as I have asked the question and you keep up with the bump in the head line.
Simplistic to say the least.

He didn't have blast trauma, apparently he was upset about seeing a friend wounded ... and he, like every soldier that ever experienced war, had post traumatic stress disorder - the "commonly used in military defense."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
He didn't have blast trauma, apparently he was upset about seeing a friend wounded ... and he, like every soldier that ever experienced war, had post traumatic stress disorder - the "commonly used in military defense."
I know you like facts, or at least claim to.

PTSD is a real thing. With real effects.

Just because it upsets you, doesn't negate that fact.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I know you like facts, or at least claim to.

PTSD is a real thing. With real effects.

Just because it upsets you, doesn't negate that fact.

I'm reading loud and clear. PTSD: the "commonly used military defense,"

"An unnamed US official had told the New York Times the killings were a result of "a combination of stress, alcohol and domestic issues – he just snapped"."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm reading loud and clear. PTSD: the "commonly used in military defense,"
That's what happens when Soldiers are Stop Loss'ed. And military Doctors are under pressure to clear able bodies to be redeployed.

It's a viable defense, if proven.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
That's what happens when Soldiers are Stop Loss'ed. And military Doctors are under pressure to clear able bodies to be redeployed.

And this part: "An unnamed US official had told the New York Times the killings were a result of "a combination of stress, alcohol and domestic issues – he just snapped"?

No one is making excuses for this murder spree. He just had PTSD (the "commonly used defence"), had witnessed a friend get wounded, was drunk, under stress and had domestic issues, but no one is making excuses to minimize his responsibility for the murders.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No one is making excuses for this murder spree. He just had PTSD (the "commonly used defence"), had witnessed a friend get wounded, was drunk, under stress and had domestic issues, but no one is making excuses to minimize his responsibility for the murders.

Your earlier post were directed at members here.

Don't let your obvious stupidity, interfere with reality.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Your earlier post were directed at members here.

Don't let your obvious stupidity, interfere with reality.

What kind of stupidity are you talking about?

Do you actually think I'm posting about people that comment on this forum when posting about an international incident?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And this part: "An unnamed US official had told the New York Times the killings were a result of "a combination of stress, alcohol and domestic issues – he just snapped"?

No one is looking for excuses. There are 2 reports regarding drinking - one says yes - the other says no.
As to his injuries in Iraq - 2 differing reports -

You on the other hand are looking for reasons to hang him. Must be frustrating to always be correct. How do you stand it when having a discussion with others that Just Don't get It.

Your Pal Goober:love9:

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
That kind of stupidity.

If you believe that my remarks about articles published regarding this incident are not about this international incident, but are instead about people on this forum, then methinks you have a wee bit of a problem with your ego.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You on the other hand are looking for reasons to hang him.
Given the shear monstrosity of the act, the repercussions thereof, and black eye his alleged actions have given military personnel.

I'm not all that inclined to disagree.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
No one is looking for excuses. There are 2 reports regarding drinking - one says yes - the other says no.
As to his injuries in Iraq - 2 differing reports -

You on the other hand are looking for reasons to hang him. Must be frustrating to always be correct. How do you stand it when having a discussion with others that Just Don't get It.

Your Pal Goober:love9:

I don't need to look for an excuse in order to want to see justice for the families of the murdered children. Wanting justice for the victims of murderers is something that's part of our social values. What has stunned me are the many excuses offerred (in the news; that I've posted links for) over the last couple of days to minimize the man's responsibility for his murderous actions.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you believe that my remarks about articles published regarding this incident are not about this international incident, but are instead about people on this forum, then methinks you have a wee bit of a problem with your ego.
Not really.

And I need only cite one post, to point out your stupidity...

Open question - Did you see any poster defending this massacre?

A simple yes or no would suffice.

Suggestions that the mass murderer was drunk, had an unhappy marriage, or had bumped his head in a car accident (well before he was cleared physically and psychologically for this Afghan tour) have been tossed around.

What's the point of mentioning this information if not to minimize his responsibility for his actions?

Unless Goober, whom you quoted, is party to this international event.

Wear your stupidity with pride. You earned it.

I don't need to look for an excuse in order to want to see justice for the families of the murdered children. Wanting justice for the victims of murderers is something that's part of our social values. What has stunned me are the many excuses offerred (in the news; that I've posted links for) over the last couple of days to minimize the man's responsibility for his murderous actions.
Nice back pedal.